A question for Gjon about the dev team

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mclaren777, Jan 10, 2012.

1. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

One thing that has always surprised and confused me is the relatively small size of the ISI development team. Based on the respective credits lists, rFactor was made by just nine people (with additional help from external talent like lo^) and rFactor 2 was made by twelve people (plus six more who contributed "additional content").

There are probably some notable advantages to having such a small team, but I think it also has some major disadvantages. First and foremost is the immense pressure that the art staff is constantly under. As I see it, Scott Juliano handles most of the track creation and Luc Van Camp is chiefly responsible for making most of the vehicles (edit: I meant to say textures). There are surely other people behind the scenes, but I'm guessing the total art staff could be counted on one hand.

When the general gaming public looks at rFactor 2, many of them comment that it looks old and dated. And in some respects they're right. The graphics in rFactor 2 aren't as "cutting edge" as the graphics in something like Project CARS, but SMS's art staff has over 25 people (I just counted). So how are 4-6 people ever going to compete against a team of that size? rFactor supporters are always quick to say "Racing sims are about the physics, not the graphics!" and to some extent they're right, but why can't something like rFactor 2 have both?

ISI theoretically has an almost constant revenue stream (partnerships with rFactor Pro and licensing deals for Game Stock Car, RACE Injection, Project CARS, etc) so I sincerely doubt that it's running short on money. So why not hire more employees to raise the bar of both physics and graphics?

I guess I'm just making this thread because I feel bad for Scott, Luc, and the rest of the team. They work so hard and they're great at what they do, but most of the time they just read complaint after complaint about excessive tire shine and low poly counts. It sucks and I wish something would be done about it.

Credits for rF1
    Dan Peal
    Gjon Camaj
    Jeremy Miller
    Joe Campana
    John Bayley
    Laurent Evenisse
    Michael Juliano
    Michael Zielinski
    Terence Groening

Credits for rF2
    Dan Peal
    Gjon Camaj
    Jeremy Miller
    Joe Campana
    John Bayley
    Laurent Evenisse
    Luc Van Camp
    Michael Borda
    Michael Juliano
    Michael Zielinski
    Terence Groening
    Tim Wheatley

Additional Content
    Alex Sawczuk
    Daniel Sandor
    Mark Pearce
    Philip John Dixon
    Raymong Scharm
    Thorsten Rueter

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. ethone

ethone Registered

Project CARS? Did I miss something?
    I thought Luc was working in a team with Scott on the tracks?
    Also, you have Scott listed as Michael. ;)

Yes, the size of the team in relation to their output is amazing.

3. thuGG

thuGG Registered

I wouldn't worry so much about graphics, I'm sure that custom shaders (i.e K_Szczech's) will improve gfx a lot (as it did in rF1).

As for CARS, for now it looks to me that their main focus is content and graphics. Important issues like input lag still haven't been resolved. But hey, it's still alpha, I hope it evolves to a very good sim. Tough competition is very good for us!

As for staff numbers, I heard that Assetto Corsa team is only 3-4 people, and they aim to produce something similar to rF.

4. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I think Michael might be his real name.

5. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Hehe, I have done a couple of vehicles, though they serve as TrackSide Objects :) .

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

First time in credits for me. Boo-yah! ;)

Honestly mclaren777, don't worry about it. We're still alive, I just have a few more grey hairs.

As I think I've said before I always felt that people in the community (any community) deserved the basic respect to be replied to when they ask something, but they've made it kind of difficult for me to keep that frame of mind, yes. A lot of posts were taken as teasing, disliked just because I replied really. My viewpoint has changed quite a bit just in the last week and I think if I could do rF2 dev all over again, the forums would have been made live this morning, not last year. But, oh well, you live, you learn. :)

7. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Wow, you sure didn't get much sleep!

8. Grubby

Grubby Registered

It would appear that Tim never sleeps :)

9. shum94

shum94 Registered

They do hire when they feel the need to (lo^).

SLN does textures not cars. lo^ does.

10. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I for one feel sorry the forums have had a negative impact on you, you clearly care alot about what you do and trying to communicate with everyone which is quite amazing really. For what it's worth it stands out about a million miles that you care and try your very best and the people on here with a brain love you for it :)

11. vyrush

vyrush Registered

Well whenever you guys decide to release it.. i guess that will be the right time..
    i would like to say cheers to Tim and the whole team mate.. you guys have just been brilliant :)

12. Kukuxumuxu

Kukuxumuxu Registered

That's easy, close the forum, put all info quietly, and open it when the Test version is released. No more post with a hundreds of questions. And if the people wants to talk about rF2 they will find another forum.

Easy, and I prefer this policy xD

13. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

If you really are starting to hesitate with how you communicated with the community, then thats a bad thing, for the community itself. I think we should be more understanding with what staff members are saying or announcing. You have to understand that on a forum it is far too easy to show a bad attitude and start flaming other members. In real-life things all would be way more friendly, for sure. People don't understand we are playing a Beta version of rF2 soon, when you guys could have decided not to release a beta at all..

It's just plain ignorance

14. 88mphTim

As I said, it's no big deal, just grey hairs. :)

15. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

A question for ISI: why does it seem that only four people of the core team actually post on these forums?

Where are the other eight?

16. 88mphTim

Busy or don't like forums for various reasons.

17. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Hi Tim and all others!

I´m sorry for the grey hair some people here brought you.
    But you should interpret this nerve-wrecking questions and comments right:
    We are all VERY excited and impatient about your coming output!
    And that should be interpreted as a very positive sign!
    I think it would be much more worse if no one shows interest for this thing.

So don´t get us wrong - I think we all love you and your work!:eek:

Greets
    Pete

18. shum94

shum94 Registered

So today or not today, that's the question.

19. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Yeah! To be or not to be is not important anymore :rolleyes:

20. F1lover

F1lover Registered

LOL did you get ANY sleep last night... Man I feel for you TIM!!! be thankful its only grey hair and not Balding..