Video card / Processor??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Davevg, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Davevg

Davevg Registered

So what is the bare minimum as far as video card / processor that you have found to run this monster with 100% detail on and have a really really good frame rate? I hate to have to turn down any details.

Dave vg

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

It's a beta... not fully optimised, so I'm not sure anyone knows. That's what beta testing is for!

3. Davevg

Davevg Registered

They have a good idea beta or not I'm sure of that. They are the programmers and set the specs lol.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

There are minimum specs on the website... but depending on how the beta goes, they may change I guess.

5. ROON

ROON Registered

Not that I have any hands-on experience with rF2 or have had any involvement in it's development, but I'd wager that any 1GB GPU should handle it fine. Can't say as far as CPU's go. But I'm running an old Intel Q6600 that handles anything I throw at it with ease (Skyrim, Battlefield 3, F1 2011, etc), 4 cores @ 2.4GHz.

But as with rF1, I suppose depending on what mods you're using and the size of the grid, performance levels could vary greatly.

6. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I believe those games rely more on the GPU side than processor. rFactor like simulations in general need to compute lots of stuff with processor.

7. ROON

ROON Registered

I think to run any modern 3D game well you need a good mix of CPU & GPU performance. A great GPU won't get you very far if your CPU sucks, and visa versa. :) The OP asked about both, and I'm just letting him know that my fairly modest PC can handle every game I install on it. The only game I don't run on 100% full settings is Battlefield 3, everything else performs fine on ultra, I wouldn't expect rF2 to be any different.

8. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Don't get your hopes up that the recommended specs will give you 60fps under all conditions even at High/Medium settings.

9. Davevg

Davevg Registered

Exactly. Don't assume that the high end specs listed will run this with 100% graphic detail. I've seen other games that you still cannot run 100% at the recommended specs. That’s my point. I'm really not worried about my CPU as it is 3.8 mhz Quad just thought I'd throw that in for a reference for others. My video is what I’m more concerned about… it’s a NVIDIA GTX280. Been looking for an excuse to upgrade it to a NVIDIA 5 series hehe.

10. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Can I just advise against measuring GPU performance by the VRAM it has? It's not representative of anything, especially as on low-end GPUs they just don't have the capacity/speed to take advantage of the RAM anyway. It's like fitting a giant exhaust to a street car. 'Any 1GB card' means a range of the GeForce 210 to the Radeon 6950 which has a fill-rate 1000% higher.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012
  11. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I personally would worry quite a bit :)