User names / Nicknames

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by schuee, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Valiant

Valiant Registered

Some people have only the first letter in their nick over the car. To fix this only put the nick on line 2. Leave line 1 and 3 blank.

2. shyha

shyha Registered

And what am I complaining about? And what are you talking about?

You're talking about matchmaker and I'm talking about what should be visible in-game. Why duplicate this information in both files? I reckon, for matchmaker and all your drm/online activation/connection/etc services you should use information provided on account creation and (I reckon) visible in rfactor.name etc. Driver profile should not be connected to these mechanisms as we (players) often use many profiles (usually for different mods) as well as we change nicks from time to time (but you already know the reasons from this topic http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1782-Forced-to-use-real-names-on-servers).

If you're talking about the issue of player making mess on the server, changing nickname and returning to do the same than it's nonsense as it's better to provide better banning options in the server, maybe based on the rfactor.name, why not, but still, information in plr file, in my opinion, should not be connected to rfactor.name in any way.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  3. Lars Strijdonck

Lars Strijdonck Registered

Personally i think the real-name issue right now is not the biggest problem. Its a Beta and i kinda thought it was purposely done. The temp fix how ever is a far bigger issue, it allows for name high-jacking a very big issue in rF1 imo.

Ultimately the use of a real vs nickname doesn't matter to me. As long as the name u register with is the name you will hold all trough the rFactor online service. It keeps you accountable for you actions when you race, weather that be as "L337SuperRacer" or your real name.

I tend to take full accountability for my actions on and offline so i have no problems using my real name. And if there ever be a lunatic around that wants o do me something well shoot me a PM i give you my address to. Changes are slim or just as big imo to be run over by an idiot in a car while walking on the street.

I hope what ever name people going to use in rF they will be permanent, and imo the race name your using should not be editable offline but stored remote. It might help making pick up races get cleaner, and can help server admins to manage ban lists which sometime unfortunately are really needed. This then allows more servers to be without passwords so you can meet new friends and race buddy's without skimming a million league sites. If there comes a big issue request a name change or something.

Just my 2 cents.

4. shyha

shyha Registered

Yes, why not. I might sign up to this but then it *should* be clearly stated during registration process where and how which provided information will be used. If I knew then I would have used my nickname (or a mix of my name and nickname).

5. T Alan

T Alan Registered

I did find something that may help the users with the "unknown" player issue. I was on ts with one of the guys from our league checking out the files in the appdata/roaming/.rfactor and discovered I have no CREDENTIALS file. I installed his CRED file and his "nick" and "user" showed in the launcher berfore login. I am sure this is why I have "unknown" as player name

Question, Is it possible to get this file without reinstall?

I've already reactivated once and doesn't fix the issue. Delete and reinstall?( I've installed over the top once)

Advice please.

It's a Beta...I'll drive unknown if I have to LOL

Todd

6. shyha

shyha Registered

As it was said in some other topic, enabling 'remember' in the rFactorLauncher should do the trick

7. T Alan

T Alan Registered

I did see that now that you mention. There's been quite a few posts to sift through. I'll try later and report back

Thx

8. Mary Savicheva

Mary Savicheva Registered

Hello, I have a problem is not my name says an unknown player to create your account on line niŅkname have large letters in the file name rFactor.name name but three string UNKNOWN NICKNAME writes, he feels bad recognize nickname which is written in big letters and can because of this my name, I have to re-buy the game?

9. T Alan

T Alan Registered

I'm almost embarressed. One checkmark!

But remember me should not have such an effect.

Thx

10. tito

tito Registered

I have changed so and now i have problems to join servers ...games not presents... Sorry !!! how can i reverse situation?

thanks

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Change it back. Reactivating might also fix it.