64 bit compatability??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mjmueller, Jan 6, 2012.

1. mjmueller

mjmueller Registered

Will rFactor 2 support or benefit from 64 bit Windows?

2. zemaniac

zemaniac Registered

The exe is 32 bit but a x64 OS is recommended (check sys requirements) if I'm not wrong

3. Rayo_McQueen

Rayo_McQueen Registered

I play rFactor for some time with Windows 7 x64 and I never have problems, so rFactor 2 will be same, I suppose.

4. mjmueller

mjmueller Registered

Thank You!

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

All my machines are running 64bit OS with the 32bit rF2 exe, you should not have any issues whatsoever.

6. maatriks

maatriks Registered

I guess the questions actually was if rFactor had a 64bit exe so it could use more than 4 gigabytes of memory.

7. 88mphTim

Then no, as stated in the minimum system requirements it is a 32bit exe but would benefit from a 64bit environment if you wish to run it on one to minimise the interference of background programs and the OS itself.

8. Brycevr

Brycevr Registered

Aren't you confusing bit depth architecture with multiprocessing. 64bit gives a wider data path (more concurrent information processing of a CPU) to the I/O whilst MP distributes disparate tasks and if enabled allows for simultaneous parallel executions of instructions.

A bit pedantic I know :)

Strictly speaking a 32 bit app on a 64 bit OS would run transparently, it just uses the bandwidth required and ignores the extra bits. MP is another story, if the app isn't configured correctly you'll have timing issues (like I had with RF1 when enabling MP the game ran at 10x speed).

Dying to run RF2 through it's paces and I (unlike most people here) don't mind waiting for a solid product (in ISI's opinion) the more work they have done then the more valid my observation will be.
    I don't want the beta to play but to test it's parameters and be part of the final product.
    I'm still enjoying RF1 too much to be pineing for a newer one, the fact that a new revision is due makes me excited but doesn't make what I have any less enjoyable or does it lessen it's quality.

Quality is a direct experience independent of and prior to intellectual abstractions.
    R. Pirsig .

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2012
  9. Tiger

Tiger Registered

There is a little patch to run 32b exe with more than 2gb of ram used ;)
    therfore, it's useless for rFactor...never use over 1.8gb ;)

10. Brycevr

Brycevr Registered

All it does is makes the RAM over 2GB available as page file so it will speed up caching in large document apps.

11. 88mphTim

I think you're misunderstanding my reasons. Depends on the background programs people decide to leave open. I'm trying to think of the craziest people. ;)

12. zemaniac

zemaniac Registered

It's not our fault, isn't it? :D

13. MickeyMouse

MickeyMouse Registered

A 32bit executable will be able to use 4GB of virtual address space in a 64bit OS, versus 3GB (with LAA) in 32bit OS, that's why a 64bit OS is recommended. A 64bit OS also allows more total RAM space so background programs don't use up some of that 4GB.

14. Brycevr

Brycevr Registered

Yes I know what you mean, people have a browser, photoshop, a video app, itunes and some other utility apps all open and then they wonder why rFactor doesn't run properly.

15. D!2T

D!2T Registered

What, you mean AppleMobileDeviceService.exe, iPodService.exe, iTunesHelper.exe and mDNSResponer.exe (Bonjour)

But we must keep these or the internet will break!

16. Sean_S36

Sean_S36 Registered

lmfao ,

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I always make sure to turn off background programs, stop startup programs running that I dont need, helps the P{C out no end even with 4gig of RAM.

besides...the only thing running in the background when the Beta comes out is my Kettle to keep those coffees coming as I play all night!!

18. 88mphTim

:) hehe