Prepping for the open beta

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D!2T

D!2T Registered

Maybe my understanding of 'open beta' is incorrect, but I thought that it generally means 'free to the public for bug testing'.

SOURCE

This makes it hard for me to understand why we need to pay for a 'open beta'.
    Having said that, I'm more than happy to pay if you setup a system to make this possible as yes I wan't the EXE just like everyone else. Though I'm left with the very disheartening feeling like it's only for 'special' people that tested out your payment system when asked. How are we meant to pay for 'beta' version with no payment system ?

2. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

You aren't paying for the open beta. You are pre-ordering the game. Pre-ordering the game gives you access to the open beta.

However, if you feel rF2 is not right for you, they have stated you can request a refund.

Also, by pre-ordering the game, you not only get access to the beta, you get 18 months of matchmaker service instead of the 12 months people who buy the game at release get.

So to summarize: If you pre-order the game, you get access to the beta and 6 months of extra matchmaker service.

Also, when the EXE is available, the payment system will be in place. Everyone who wants to take part will be able to. Not just the people who tested the payment system :)

3. Traveller

Traveller Member

Good luck. I think most of the file is compressed. But, let me know if you manage to dig a GMT out of one of them.

4. Stefan Lemke

Stefan Lemke Registered

if it helps:
    http://uploaded.to/folder/s8xecq

5. D!2T

D!2T Registered

OK so no, we're not paying for the 'open beta', though technically we kind of really are as there has not yet or by the looks of it anytime soon a mention of an OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE for a final product. So why they expect us to pay for something that isn't even absolutely official is beyond me also...

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not going to happen I would just like to have (as most I'd imagine) a rough idea of when I may get to enjoy a final product before spending money on it, why is this too much to ask? I dunno maybe it's just me but something doesn't seem right with this.

ATM this all seems like it's going to stay a Perpetual BETA.

6. coops

coops Banned

you never know gjon might be telling u what you think you want to hear, but might it be that its a beta or the full game just with updates to come. JOKE LOL

7. shum94

shum94 Registered

The core is there, don't doubt about it. You will have the core and 3 cars & 3 tracks or so.

Your sentiment of perpetual beta is a missunderstand on your part because ISI told us, a lot more will come & and the software will be a perpetual developpment, this is really the same process as rF 1 but with a lot more ISI content and nonetheless licenses content.
    rFactor first content was not.

This is what i believe, i might be wrong.

Beta 2-3 months imo then official release but afterwards as rFactor 1, content will be added. This beta should really feel like a solid release but wont have maybe some key feature and limited content.

Drivers swap not implemented yet, weather not 100 % finished.

I wait since 2009 this sim and wont mind that. I'm glad this beta is coming, if you're into official and solid content, wait for official release and you will know what you are paying for.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2011
  8. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

If beta stage would take 1-2 months then you could say that we get 4-5 months for free but actually, that is not true. That 6 months probably will be covered by beta testing... if beta testing will be longer than 6 months, then you will be left with less than 12 months on your online account, compared to people who will buy "final" version (with 12 months of MM access).
    What if beta period will be going on for 12 months? Then, you will have only 6 months of MM access with "final" version of the game.

9. Jeffo696

Jeffo696 Registered

how to open rfmod beta? where it is installed?

10. thuGG

thuGG Registered

@LesiU
    Exactly!

11. ethone

ethone Registered

...and you would have had a whooping 12 months of enjoying rF2 before then. What's your point?

12. thuGG

thuGG Registered

The point is, that beta is not final.

13. Kimi450

Kimi450 Registered

No it wont be like that the isi team doesnt want to rob us..... arent they ? i am sure there will be something else to it too

14. cloudXXI

cloudXXI Registered

DonĀ“t activate your online account until final release, so you have 18 months.

15. zemaniac

zemaniac Registered

I think that the 18 months are starting after the "Launch D-Day"... Beta Match-maker shouldn't be included in the 18 months you purchased...

It's a win-win situation, because you get beta months for "free" (but you're helping the devs) and then can enjoy 6 months more than what you should've paid.

That's what I understood, might be wrong of course...

BTW Happy holidays

16. Grubby

Grubby Registered

There is a simple solution to your concern, Buy RF2 when its released not the Beta then you will get your full 12 months Guaranteed. It may not be until June 2012 but aleast you wont have to worry. :)

Now to be serious, my understanding is you pay for the Beta and you will receive 18mths Online subscription, this will start from the first time you log into your new RF2 account. If the Beta only last 3mths then you have 15mths with the final release if it last 8mths then you will only have 10mths left of your online subsription with the final release.

You must remember thou that you will have online access from day one, so you are still getting your full 18mths and nobody is getting ripped off.

17. Marek Lesniak

I love that community... someone puts a very general statement. Another one want to correct that and tell, how it actually might be and after that, he got bashed from the rest of community because they apparently don't see the point :)

OK, so here we go again. I will try slowly...

Beta is meant to be for free. That means - free access to the game and free access to MM (during beta period only, obviously), right? Otherwise, it can't be called as beeing "for free".
    What we pay for i rF 2 preorder and we get 18 months of MM online access in that price. Buddhatree said, that we get 6 months of extra access, compared to what we get when we buy the game after it "final" release. If you already didn't noticed that - that's the point of my previous point. He said, that we will get longer access to MM. 18 vs 12 months.

And that's true only if you don't be participating in beta tests. ONLY then! (and that is obvious, it's not why most of us will pay for prerelease).
    Because once you create an online account, your access time starts to count down, no matter what. So, if it happen that beta period will last for 18 months and you create your online account on day one of beta tests, you will end up having to renew your subscription when final release will arrive (because you have spent your 18 month subscribtion on "free" beta testing).

I wrote all that (and all in my previous post) as clarification to Buddhatree's post. And if still some of you don't understand the point...then I'm sorry, but I can't help you ;-)

18. ethone

ethone Registered

You ALWAYS get longer multiplayer access with 18 months instead of 12 months.
    Are you presuming there will be no multiplayer during beta? Or do you think playing mutliplayer during beta will not give you one iota of enjoyment?

19. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

To anyone concerned (just to be clear ;) ), if you are curious as to what you're getting when you pre-purchase rF2--you are being given access to the open-beta and all of its updates. Six of the 18 months of online service is meant to cover the open-beta period so that you have your full year when the planned first "gold" release is... released. If the beta time ran beyond that I would certainly think you'd be given extra days/weeks/months to cover that, but that would ultimately be a decision Gjon would make.

You can also pre-purchase and, if you don't like what you see/feel, you are more than welcome to ask for a refund and then wait and come back to try the finished version later, or not at all.

We're not forcing anyone to pre-purchase. If you don't like the idea of what we're doing you are certainly more than welcome to wait until "gold" or not purchase at all. We are leaving all of this up to you. The situation is what it is and we tried to find a way to get the current state of the game to you as soon as we could. The choice is yours....

You get, with your pre-purchase:
    Single Player
    Multi Player
    Developer mode
    Development Tools
    What Documentation we have for those tools to date (in the WIP state)
    Rain
    Wet/Dry track transition
    Dynamic track elements (Groove/Marbles)
    New Tire Model
    New physics
    New Collision
    HDR (with other Post FX to come)
    Access to beta updates and new/updated content as they become available

These systems are in various states of readiness and need further refinement, hence the "Beta" moniker.

I can't be any more honest than that. If you're interested in diving in early, we are happy to have you pre-purchase. If you decide it's not finished enough for you and don't want to help in the process then request a refund. If you know up front you're not interested in a Beta release you are certainly free to wait for the first gold release.

These are all your choices :)

All we kindly ask is that if you do refund, or decide to wait, please don't clutter the beta forums with posts that are irrelevant to the Beta. We're going to have a time just sorting and answering the posts that ARE relevant :)

Cheers to all...

20. Marek Lesniak

For Christ's sake... It's NOT PROBLEM FOR ME!! Is my english really that bad, so no one didn't understand what I said? :)

I will buy rF 2 preorder none the less, as I am ad admin and modder and have to have rF2 asap, to start my work on new platform, but THAT WAS NOT THE POINT of my two previous posts...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.