rFactor 2 Wiki

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Dec 21, 2011.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The rFactor 2 Wiki is available for anybody who wishes to register there and edit it with valid information.

Along with the forums, we'd like this to be the go-to place for information on modding and using rFactor 2.

Please note that at this point, some things may not be accurate while rF2 is in beta, so anything there may become out of date with updates. We still encourage you to post there, but keep this in-mind when adding current information.

It may be worthwhile monitoring the FAQ forum. Any commonly asked questions will eventually have a thread moved there and may be some of the information most needed within the Wiki.

2. 88mphTim

The wiki is going to end up in a passworded directory, and the password will be made available to you. This is to keep the automatic SPAM bots out which automatically register and post. You'll be given the username and password on your way into the site.

3. 88mphTim

Username AND password is rfactor_wiki. Please refrain from posting a URL with those passwords formed into it anywhere so the bots can't find it. I'll also likely be giving a few community members (who have brought themselves forward as volunteers) admin rights so that the Wiki is truly community driven as I intended. :)

4. 88mphTim

I've been looking for another solution to the Wiki, as I sort of hate it as it is right now, and I found an vBulletin integrated solution...

Anybody who uses our existing Wiki (as difficult as that is right now) think this would be a suitable replacement?

https://www.vaultwiki.org/demo/Main-Page

5. taufikp

taufikp Registered

I always feel that wiki interface and its navigation is quite hard for me. Using Wordpress-like system is much easier me think.

6. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

so with the new format there would be tabs across the top with sub categories? like the linked page?

7. 88mphTim

Yes, and you would use your account here. It's basically an extension to the forum.

8. Rantam

Rantam Registered

I like the current wiki. Basically because it's a wiki which looks as a wiki :)

But that vBulleting based one doesn't look bad, and I do agree also that the way of creating/editing articles in the current wiki could be easier, as it requires a bit of practice until you see how it works. So may be this one would help to have a wiki with more content.

Because that is the main problem: the community is not using it that much. I'm not really sure if that's because of the editing problem or just because of our natural laziness :)

I think it might be a good idea if ISI uses it as a documentation platform. Releasing the modding documentation there would be good for a start. Don't get me wrong, pdf are fine as you can take them with you anywhere, but that doesn't encourage people to use the wiki. If we want that wiki to be used people should be 'invited' to go there first. And a good way to do it is having already some interesting content to be read. If they go and it's (almost) empty many may think it's useless to write there because nobody is using it.

Just my two cents. Anyway Tim, thanks for the effort of trying to make things easier :)

Kindest regards

9. ethone

ethone Registered

Forum integration would be a plus, especially if it removes the need for a password-protected wiki directory.
    I figure if we can handle the Wiki process, we could handle the forum-integrated version as well.

Just from looking at the example page I prefer the cleaner structure of the Wiki but that's mostly just aesthetic.

10. 88mphTim

Ok, thanks guys. I am still looking at options... There is a way to make vBulletin registrations work for the MediaWiki we already have, too... But that worries me as I have two scripts (one I don't trust) sharing a server.

The main issue is the SPAM... Even with plugins to remove it they still find a way in (the forum uses a REALLY strict filter, I manually create about 5 accounts per day, and have to approve every first post someone makes which includes a link of any kind), the wiki was way worse than the forum.

11. vali

vali Registered

Hi Tim

Did you tried using some captcha system? I don't remember I used it when I created my account.
    Right now it seems that an email is optional too. I think email verification should be needed.

Anyways, only the editing / account creating should be protected. If you block even read access the wiki is not very useful.

12. 88mphTim

You did, it did. :)

Emails are verified and we do use captcha.

13. ethone

ethone Registered

Any update on where you're going with the wiki?

14. copa

copa Registered

As I can access wiki rfactor 2? I have to send the username and password?

15. 88mphTim

16. copa

copa Registered

Ok. thanks

17. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Hello, Tim. I know there is a lot going on but I believe we are at a point where a wiki would be a great help in organizing information especially for newcomers. I have been working on some materials but I have some concerns about the current wiki system as I believe it lacks any workflow to govern article request, development, review and maintenance. I am also not sure what capabilities it has with regard to the organization, sorting and filtering of views, etc. I believe if you build it they will come but more is required for success IMO.