It's been a while...

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Michael Juliano, Dec 20, 2011.

1. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Why?

Well I think that I just got used to normal development process of games, where beta lasts from about 2 weeks to 2 months.
    It sounds to me like: lets release an unfinished product for 40 bucks, and then develop it for the next half year time.

Ridiculous, isn't it?

2. Kukuxumuxu

Kukuxumuxu Registered

When the Open Beta is released, this version will support standart online race? That is, a race with 20 cars for example and pit stops?.

I say this because there are many communities that are waiting to schedule championships with the initial pack that you have published a few weeks ago.

3. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

I was just racing against the AI this morning while I was testing a couple things. They are MUCH improved. I never would have dreamed of attempting a full length race in rF1. Just yesterday I did a full 35 lap race with a field of 19 AI in the Meganes--it was a blast. They DO make mistakes from time to time, but no more than you might find from a human driver. They try to block you when you pass, they are aggressive without being destructive--they're good.

Now, we still have some work to do on them, tweaks and such, but you will notice a difference for sure. If anything I'd say you have to treat them as you'd treat a human--if you have proper race-craft and give them their fair space on the track you can expect a good clean fight. But, if you are 2 meters in front of one of them doing 150mph and brake 500 meters before a normal brake point they WILL hit you, but a HUMAN under those conditions would hit you just the same, so that to me is normal behavior :)

4. dragon

dragon Registered

Thank you Scott for comment, but you did not hesitate with this for too long after the holiday. We really DO NOT want longer to wait?! See you soon on the track, I hope so ;)

5. Michael Juliano

Because at the beginning of 2011, and some months into it, that's what we were planning honestly. It's not Tim's fault it didn't work out that way..

6. thuGG

thuGG Registered

And now you think that the gold will be in half years time. Well I guess I should prepare for late 2012 release then.

7. Michael Juliano

Yeah, I can see that (being use to the normal type of development process). It's a fair train of thought. Lots of games/sims are releasing this way now--paid open beta. Gets the game out to you all sooner, gives us more time to tweak, enhance and add, and lets us incorporate new things based on user feedback. You could look at it from both angles but honestly, if we just wanted to release an unfinished product then we could have done that at the BEGINNING of 2011 and gone from there, if you follow me.

8. Michael Juliano

Yeah, online and offline racing will be included for sure. Most of our standard tracks currently handle fields up to 30 drivers. Modders are more than welcome to create tracks that support more. But yes, 20 driver grids at full race lengths with pitstops are already there...

9. DriverN1

DriverN1 Registered

i'm ready to wait final version so much time as it's necessary. But I'd like beta now :)

10. sg333

sg333 Registered

I'm very much looking forward to running with the few announced cars and tracks. Should keep me busy for 6 months at least.

I wasnt aware that for the beta we will have access to newer builds. How often will these happen, and will tracks & cars be added regularly?

11. Thank you very much Scott for your fair and honest report and answers! I really appreciate your natural diplomacy!;)

For people who are surprised by the unpredictable time needed to reach the Gold release, just remember a certain game called netKar! If I'm not wrong it took ages before we get a final release! What I remember is that since the first release (Alpha or Beta?) customers were able to play offline and online with all the options. Even if they payed for an unfinished product, check the game status now! After 5 years the game has extended to a very various simulation proposing a larger number of vehicles and tracks than the initial release!

The important is not the final product but the potential a product (even in Beta stage)can/will offer!
    I strongly believe rFactor 2 is well above any of our expectations! I'm sure we will reach a final state of art!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the whole ISI team...

Cheers,

Oli

12. Michael Juliano

Yeah, I guess that wasn't really made too clear, but there will be periodic updates. As to how often--that would really depend. If there is a terrible bug that requires squashing we could put out a hotfix right away. For a typical update--it would depend on when the planned update work was finished. We'll have a better idea once we enter that phase is the best answer *I* could give you right now...

To go along with this, I can say that we're already planning what the first additional content will be based on what we have, and how far along it is.

13. thuGG

thuGG Registered

How on earth is that good in any way?

14. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Someone complain because unfinished game with full price. Well, how many games today is finished and polished from the first release? I think very very little(we all know reason). Almost every game today needs some patch or something and this is games for 60$. Way not complain there? Someone sold you 60$ worth game as FINISHED game and you need patch for normal playing. As rf2, you KNOW, you will get beta release, so nobody joking you and nobody forcing you to buy a game. If you buy game, you are AGREE with this route of developing and complains(i don't mean reporting bugs or something related to improving game of course) is not on place. I think ISI's route of development is one of the most honestly(related to consumer specialy) route you can get today and one of the best example, how must be most mainstream games developed today. And what is complains about 6 months? If someone from ISI say that, game WILL BE developed beyond finished state. How is this a problem, if game will "never" be finished or must be taken a lot more time to be really "finished"? I don't understand that. There is just one route. From the beginning to one point, this is called rFactor. From this point to this point, this is called rFactor 2. From there to next point, the game will called....i don't know. :)

15. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Is the dirt racing going to be full of trickery (like rF1) where the tires make it feel like dirt and not the actual dirt track.

IE the reason off-roaders drive like they are on dirt while on paved tracks and why GT cars drive like they are on asphalt while on dirt circuits..

IE This.

and this

16. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Ok, I was just curious. Rf2 is delayed and all what we have to do is just wait ;)

I'm sure it's worth to wait so long :)
    Monaco looks stunning and I can wait.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the whole team.

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It's worth remembering there are major products out there, some costing a lot more money than this, which still do not have updates and features which will be in rF2 on it's BETA launch, years after their beta launch. It depends what Gjon sees as the cutoff between beta and initial release for features and content really, and that's going to affect the time spent in beta.

18. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

We will see Tim, WHAT will be in rF 2 beta... because right now, there is no rF 2 for us. Not even early alpha. And "the other major products out there", well, they are already there, like you said. You can buy 'em, lick 'em and check for yourself, what quality do they represent.
    When rF 2 beta will be released (which is somewhere in the near future, right?), then we will see, what it can really offer, compared to "the other major products". Until that, those are only your speculations, from our point of view (and every company is like that "our stuff is the best! You'll see!" :) ).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2011
  19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Er, yes.

20. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Man some of you guys are incredible.

Assumptions where made, by everyone including me, and we somehow thought they where "fact".

We have had feedback in this thread outlining that the BETA really is only BETA in name only.

If they intend on fixing and feedback to improve and releasing extra content during the "BETA" period...I am more than happy to refer to it as the "pre patch" period.

But I guess some people just dont get that.

Tim, Scott...a vast majority of the followers out there are more than content with the information recieved, disappointed at the delay, but understanding none the less.

We look forward to 2012 and the fun it promises to bring....