It's been a while...

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Michael Juliano, Dec 20, 2011.

1. shum94

shum94 Registered

Stop teasing :p

I hope to see ISI_T-Bone around when the beta is released :rolleyes:

2. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Thanks indeed for the information! Hope to see those docs for modders soon.

Enjoy your well deserved Xmas holidays! ;)

Regards

3. DeDios

DeDios Registered

Thanks really much Scott for your posts...really appreciated :)
    Personally i'd like to see an improved version of Brianza, Northamptonshire and..why not, some other good new real tracks (la sarthe? Nordschleife? :D ).
    I see lots of great things in your words (specially about FFB) so..can't wait to try it.
    Happy holidays from Italy!

4. Alesi

Alesi Registered

u are not alone... a lot of people doesnt believe to ISI with there neverending story with RF2

5. Tim Bennett

Tim Bennett Registered

Very good to hear that at some point in time we can look forward to new things for Dirt. I think dynamic grips alone would be a major factor in realism if they could be adjusted in a very broad range to accommodate what we do on dirt ovals. Looking forward to the release and digging into the new engines!

Remember guys, it doesn't really matter when they release anything, as long as it's ready and correct. That's how modders do it and it seems to work out pretty good for them, so we really shouldn't expect anything else from ISI.

6. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

Not asking you to believe us or not--you have a right to decide to or not to. All I know is what I work on and test every day, and that's rF2. I know what it feels to drive it and it feels great. I know we have beta release candidates being tested right now. I know we REALLY, REALLY wanted to release in 2011, but it just wasn't ready before now. I know that if we wanted to we could probably release on Christmas Day if we felt like, but we didn't feel it would be right to release it and then bail for a week for Christmas vacation and leave you all hanging with no answers or feedback. (Edit: Besides, we just put out a new Beta Release Candidate yesterday which now needs to be tested over the holidays, so we're beyond that point now). So, we decided to take the holidays, look for any last minute show-stopper bugs, and then put it out right after.

Do you believe me? You don't have to of course. I don't "promise" anything. I know what the situation has been, is and will be--I know what my tasks are for the next year overall. I also know that VERY soon now people will finally be racing online with rF2... Believe it or not :D

Edit: By the way, I truly understand the frustration. We have been slaving on this thing all through 2011 to get it ready. When we realized it just wasn't going to be possible we were just as frustrated. We're all pretty tired and spent, and would have loved this to have gone out months ago. Personally, not only have I not spent as much time my family as I would have liked, but in my spare time I'm also working on my own game, code and art (totally un-related to racing--it's a space sim), which is recreational and therapeutic for me. I had to set that aside for over a year because I've had no spare time--it's all been going to rF2. Fortunately, I love what I do and truly believe in what rF2 is and will become in time...

Besides, it happens in game development and there's not much you can really do about it except keep going until it's ready. We don't normally really talk about things like that because that's part of this career--it's what we signed up for. Besides, usually it's hard for the people waiting to play the game/sim to grasp that. They were told a date and they expect a product...

I know because I've been on the other end, too--waiting seemingly forever for a product to come out. I remember back in the early 90's first hearing about a space-sim called "X-Wing" and waiting over a year for that to release--drove me nuts :D

We've been there on both sides--we're right there with you...

7. shum94

shum94 Registered

If it's ready, let us have it lol

I don't mind ISI absence for one week, trust me if i have the beta the time will fly by, and the week vacation wont be noticed.

8. Michael Juliano

See, that's the thing--to have had it out by now we would have had to start testing a final beta release candidate couple weeks ago. We just put out a new release candidate and that needs to be tested now over the holidays before it can go out. You'd be surprised how easy it is for a show-stopper/crash bug to appear. Every RC needs proper testing, which is what we're doing now. Just because it's an open beta release doesn't mean we can allow it to go out with things like that, so we MUST test it properly. :)

And again it can be hard to understand that from the fans' perspective. You guys just want it, and I don't blame you. But we still have to do it properly, which means proper testing for a week or so--it's just the way it is :)

Edit: By the way, I'm glad you wouldn't mind, Shum. Fact is we don't feel right about doing it. You guys have waited all this time--we don't want to put out something that crashes if we can help it, or disappear on you all after it goes out, even if it's for a week. It would just be wrong on our part to do that...

9. sg333

sg333 Registered

Is the third historic track ready to be released with the beta? I'm not sure from re-reading the OP if you meant its done or not, yet.

e: on the subject of Toban, i ran a couple of races there today, great track - cant wait for the new/old version :D

10. Michael Juliano

Yeah, sorry. That track is being worked on (as I type this actually :) ), along with the new, licensed car right now. If I had to guess I might say mid to late Feb for the new track/car combo to be in releasable Beta state...

Yeah, Toban was always my fav. original rF1 track--can't wait to get back to this and finish it up...

11. DriverN1

DriverN1 Registered

sorry, Scott. Excurse me please. I respect your team very much. It was my emotional and unconscious comment... your sim-racing products are the best in the world. I played f1 challenge at first, and later rfactor. I found that there are no better sims than yours. So I looked forward to appear your new creation... And it will be so boring to wait still one year.. I really hoped to be beta-tester this year... It's terrible if release will be delayed for months again..

12. thuGG

thuGG Registered

How long do you think we will have to wait from the start of open beta to final release?

13. shum94

shum94 Registered

Last time i uploaded (touched rF) a video on youtube was september 2009. I can wait 2 more weeks :rolleyes:

And i understand how it wouldnt be welcome to have a beta who crashes after all this wait ^^
    Now i rather wait with some new footage & screenies, just saying :p.

14. Michael Juliano

I think we have some screenie/video surprises in store for the holidays :) At least screens--I took some yesterday for Tim--not sure when he plans on putting them out exactly...

15. Michael Juliano

It's ok. As I said, we really do understand. We really, really wanted it to have gone open-Beta by now, we just couldn't get it there in time. It's frustrating for everyone but we're almost there...

16. Michael Juliano

Hard to say. First, as I said, rF2 is going to be a continuously growing product, so it will never reach a "final" state. But, if I had to venture a guess, I might say 6 months from open beta to the first "gold" release--assuming everything comes together as we hope it will. Our gold state depends not only on game features, but also certain content and modding tools. It's all a package deal... All we can do is put together a game plan and see where it takes us :)

17. thuGG

thuGG Registered

WOW, 6 months? You gotta be kidding me? That's dissapointing as ****!

18. Michael Juliano

Really, why? During that time we'll be fixing bugs, adding new features (both planned and based on user-feedback) and content, expanding the modding tools and documentation, and you'll be able to play the sim online and off, and use the new things as they come out. And we'll continue to do the same even after the first "gold" release. Not sure why that would be disappointing. I mean, it's not like we're going to put out the Open Beta and then not release ANYTHING until the first "gold" release if that's what you were thinking. There will be updates along the way for sure. And, 6 months, as I said, was my guess. Could be less for all I know--just depends on how fast it all comes together...

19. DriverN1

DriverN1 Registered

how about racing againist AI in beta-stage? is there some progress in offline racing? I already wrote that offline racing was my problem in rfactor. I liked f1challenge AI more than rfactor's AI and I hoped AI in rF2 will be better and offline racing wil be more interesting..for example - racing with different classes when faster AI are intelligent, carefull and don't push player's car

20. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

6 months?

In this case, I'm really curious how Tim could tell us, that we will be able to play final release in 2011? ;)