Managing Content for rFactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gjon Camaj, Dec 13, 2011.

1. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

So ISI could be offering a Browser-addon standard as an option for MOD-Groups to support or not ? Still hosting the files themselves. This would be a great solution for all, including for ISI to avoid lawsuits for hosting/offering potential unlicensed content produced and hosted by nonprofit individuals.

2. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

im sure someone in the community could handle that :rolleyes:

3. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I was really hoping the downloads would be all handled in-game. All this system does than is give you a different mismatch statement rather than a "one stop get everybody up to speed automatic" system I was hoping for.

External hosting goes down or is slow, finding those rare mods on non-english forums is near impossible, I was really hoping I would just go into rf2, be presented a huge list of every mod ever made with a checkbox next to it. Click all the mods I want and it would download them and keep them up to date for me.

Then if someone comes to join us and is missing the car or track.. BAM autodownload. Using just a modified version of the X mod.. BAM tiny download adjusts the settings to match without altering the original.

I guess rF3 will have to handle those dreams.

4. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

if that was to happen though...i think it would be alot more than $13 a year to play online

5. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Would be worth it.

6. Arthur.Hermont

Arthur.Hermont Registered

They could add one or more URL's to each MOD so the download would be available to everyone quickly. If the URL hosting the MOD changes the MOD manager/owner could update it's URL and that's all. No download service would be necessary as part of ISI service structure. Since the MOD package is well defined I don't see a problem with rFactor2 itself validating it's content and installing it.

7. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

What a big hassle for somthing that will just create problems, nothing was more easier than the rf1 installation process, all it needed was somthing for modders to encrypt mas files easier, whats next online shopping and delivery service, seems all aimed at the lazy ass sim user.

8. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Registered

So what does all mean for the "guy on the street" like me? All I want to do it put cars/tracks/etc. into my (DVD installed) copy of RF2 and take off. Do I just apply the various mods like before?

d

9. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

yes. Nothing will change comparing to rF1.
    The only difference is, that you will be able to filter servers by mods you have installed (other will not be displayed) so you avoid connecting to servers and get mismatch messages.

There is some amount of truth, not only here... over the world too.

10. Arthur.Hermont

So if there's a valid easy way we should use the hard way just to avoid do be "lazy". ok ... :p

11. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Many mods are uploaded by modders to sites like rapidshare, megaupload, etc. These have some buttons to click, some countdowns, some captcha to type in, advertisements popping up - you name it. Also, these sites may change their layout and functionality at any time.

This means package downloads must be made manually anyway. But that's packages (cars, tracks and such). Mods could probably be downloaded and installed automatically if you have necessary packages installed. We'll have to wait and see.

12. Arthur.Hermont

Anyway it's a good step to improve things. C'mon beta! :)

13. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

With regards to this and the inheritance mentioned earlier: I'm a big fan of street cars (nothing wrong with racing cars, but they're not my thing), but they tend to be released one by one by different authors. In rFactor I made a custom rfm that included all the street cars I could find (around 60-70 of them) and I also edited some of them to be more competitive with each other (engine and tyre upgrades mostly), used it mainly for my own amusement and occasionally with a couple of friends.

How would this work in the new system? Can I make a new Mod ID that points to the car components (and Nürburgring, won't need another track) from various different mods, and have some virtual components on top of those that are used to adjust the tyre and engine upgrades without messing up the original components (so I can still use the original mods the components came with without any problems)?

EDIT: Could the virtual components be used just as a total physics modification/update over an existing car?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2011
  14. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

For singleplayer you don't need ModID. You don't even need a mod (see diagram in first post and pay attention to single player part) - you just need packages with cars and tracks.

If you want to play this way with friends, then you must create your own mod file and then keep updating it whenever you want to add another car or track.

That I don't know, but I'm also curious about it.

15. Jaageri

Jaageri Registered

So it will be the same file hunting with rf2 again...bollocks.

This is where Steam has done it right with it's autoupdater.
    I've got used to it handling the updates so i no longer need to hunt them and i get more time to play.
    When you get older you respect your free time more and want to use most of it what you got.

Build a easy file sharing torrent system inside rf2 to handle full mods or just the update addons (mod mods).
    It's still causing headaches this mod mod talk...hate it.

"You need to create a mod for a mod and then another mod for a mod for a mod" etc..
    Irritates does'nt it.:eek:

16. Dahie

Dahie Registered

No need for ISI to do this. Such an addon can easily be community run, also the managing sites that keeps track of mods, versions and dependencies. Something like rubygems.org for rf-mods would be awesome.

17. ethone

ethone Registered

I thought we had a pretty decent repository in rFc, at least until it was bought up. It was a bit weak on the content availability site with poorly maintained links for some mods and didn't carry conversions but it wasn't like we were struggling for years.

Dependencies should be avoided like the plague anyway and mods should be self-contained. At best dependencies vastly increase the hunt for those files. Has anyone else looked into addons for Sim City 4? That's the kind of mess you'd get. ;)

18. Kalle Lints

Kalle Lints Registered

We use SimSync PRO for syncing mods and tracks. Lookslike nothing changes and we use it with rF2 also. Dont know better system for that right now. I hopped that rF2 comes with something like that but lookslike its not.

19. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Yeah, looking at the picture I can run all cars and tracks with just the components without using an .rfmod. Hopefully this time it'll actually work, the old All Cars & Tracks was borked by people messing with folder layouts. If every car and track is now a self-contained component, it should be much easier to make it work with all of them.

If however I want to limit the cars to only street cars and specific tracks I'd have to have a Mod ID (.rfmod) even in single player, that's not a problem though. I won't need a Submit ID if I don't publicly publish my mod though (which I obviously wouldn't because I've only collected cars under the same roof, and even if the packages are easily traced back to the original creators so that they get the credit, I'm sure they wouldn't be happy about it:)). Or at least that's how I understood it.
    Looks nice, hopefully we're able to get a proper sync server for that (or a system like that, perhaps utilizing bittorrent) that has most of the most used mods, so that we don't have to hunt for sync servers. =)

20. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I know SimSync, and it IS a clever tool - however it can be troublesome since it actually works kinda like a peer-to-peer program and can be used to exchange not-so-legitimate stuff too. If ISI where to do the same, they could end up in a lawsuit for exchanging unauthorized/unlicensed or illigal content for their own platform. So this will never happen I'm sure...