Will patching of the Game Client be similar to an MMORPG?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Dec 8, 2011.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

What with the MM Servers and MODs being kept upto date with simple "Auto-Download" style stuff it got me wondering on the actual game itself, and whether or not it will be akin to an MMORPG.

For me theres two ways of Patching RF2:

1) MMORPG Style:
    a) Download a Launcher Program that automatically downloads & installs needed files (Patches if you will) when ISI release them.
    b) This Launcher also has the ability to add "Optional" downloads, such as new ISI licenced content, improved textures etc
    c) From the Launcher you can be alerted to which MODs that you have installed require updates, so you can then select which ones to update. (also have MODs with an "Auto-Download Update" tick box for everytime you start the Launcher)
    d) From the Launcher you can also select which MODs to be uninstalled

2) Traditional Patching:
    a) ISI release a Patch on their website
    b) said patch gets handed around to various websites
    c) people try to play online and get Mismatches, log out the game have to go hunting for the patch!
    d) People load up the game and have to select individual MODs just to see if they need an update.

I think you can see which Option i'd go for (thats #1.....), it'd be a very simple way of keeping everything Patching correctly and will be a first stop for everyone,
    so I'm just wondering Tim if this is indeed the way? if not....then maybe for the future :)
    ta

2. ethone

ethone Registered

I'd always go for #2, #1 takes too much control away from you and me as users. Third party tools that are probably going to be commonplace with a mod-base like rF1 was and rF2 will hopefully might not be immediately compatible with new patches. Imagine a change to the AIW which would require minor reworking of tracks. If the patch is forced like in 1) just before your league race, you end up unable to race the track you had scheduled until the author updates the track.
    Same thing for cars, result exporters or plugins.

If the patch isn't forced as in 2), you have the option of running that race under the old version, and there's nothing preventing the launcher from still alerting you to a new patch.

3. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Prefer manual download, pain in the ass all this auto stuff.

4. Tripp

Tripp Registered

Yea me too i not wanna end up have in my installation 85 mods and 500 tracks that is to much i wanna have it manually thx
    or Automatic but a choice to pick what to install and also that it came with uninstall files if i wanna delete files

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yeah with regards to Official Updates messing up mods/tracks that could pose a problem, so the Option to download or not would be useful in this aspect, that way you can check with your League beforehand...I dont see a problem with that. At least its all in one place ready for when you do require the files, rF1 was/is very messy so it'll be interesting to see how ISI go about whatever new process they have instore for us.

I personally dont see how this system can be "a pain in the ass" as its all there for you on one screen, should you chose to "Auto-Download" (i.e. you dont race in a league just Offline or general Pick Up Races) then it could be beneficial and not to mention quicker than scouring the 'net for updates or Megaupload links that dont work!!

Tripp I think you missed the point, you dont have to download stuff you dont want too. You would manually download any mods/tracks you want and the Launcher simply alerts you to future updates of that mod/track, you wont download anything you dont want too, therefore its all in one place and you get nice little Alerts when Updates occur.

6. ethone

ethone Registered

If it's an optional launcher and it's just alerting but not forcing the update, sure. Optional because I don't want to have to click through a launcher every time I changed a bit while building a mod, but maybe "modding mode" will take care of that anyway.

Also don't forget that launcher links or the updates themselves may be broken too and you'd just exchange one place to get frustrated with it for another. ;)

7. Tripp

Tripp Registered

I now simsyncpro and it is a great little tool to fast download missing files i have not test it so much.

Also i now bockbierbude python script so easy and fast download mod tracks skins and all kinds of files.
    With that script i can pick the cars by cars or track by track or other files i wanna have that script download and install it aoutomatic.

Simsyncpro download files not extract files or install about delete installed things both this tools can take way ALL files i can not pick one car or one track and delete.
    Something like this 2 tools works i hope we can have but with a button to select what i wanna delete.

One problem still is how download missing tracks files or cars when try join a server and not have the files is harder.

First must game look when it shall join a server what mod tracks it not have then game must ask if we wanna download missing files .

Then we must have all files on a server that should be best if it can be edited to let host add the download link that is need to a FTP server or HTTP server there host of server have the files.
    That is need how to do that is something new i not have a idea of how to build.
    Maybe it just is a fantasy product i wanna see :rolleyes:

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

1 and 2. But you always have control of both (you need to perform an action for 1a to happen).

9. 88mphTim

Mod mode.

10. 88mphTim

Track/mod files missing, etc, should never ever be a problem again. The track and/or modules comes to you in a package, not a folder.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Cheers Tim, sounds good!

12. ethone

ethone Registered

Yup, sounds exactly like what we agreed on Marc. ;)