Need help deciding on a wheel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by admzz, Nov 25, 2011.

1. admzz

admzz Registered

So me and my dad are both planning on buying rFactor relatively soon, as well as rFactor2 upon release. Seeing as to how we haven't played racing simulators in a while we are going to need new wheels. Just came on here to see what your opinions are as to what we should buy. G25 and G27 are out of our price range .

What it came down to is we will probably buy one of these:
    Logitech Driving Force GT: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/wheels/devices/4172
    Thrustmaster RGT: http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Rally-Force-Feedback-Clutch/dp/B000KRXA8W

We wanted the logitech momo but found out it is also out of our price range(we had previously seen them going for $100-$150 on craigslist but at the time weren't looking for wheels, damn shame)

Anyways between those wheels I would appreciate it if you could tell me which one is a better buy , and why that is the case. Any helpful info would be nice since I can't find much discussion about the two other than a couple video reviews from simracing.tv...

Thanks in advance,
    admzz

2. Bty

Bty Registered

I have no experience with the Thrustmaster RGT wheel, but I can vouch for the DFGT since I owned one, excellent wheel but the pedals are a weak point. Still at that price I don't think you can get anything better.

3. Gimli Oakenshield

Gimli Oakenshield Registered

Somebody who used the RGT for 2 years told me these wheels were a bit weak and had to change it after two years, but it might be an isolated case, I don't know ?

Maybe you can find users opinion on differents users' forum, that's what I'd do.

4. cloudXXI

cloudXXI Registered

If I remember well, Thrustmaster RGT has 270º. In my opinion, the main feature for a wheel is having 900º.

Even a Formula 1, has more thant 270º. The Logitech Driving Force GT has 900º.

Anyway, I will look for a cheap G27.

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Dito, best option imo or otherwise a G25

If you happen to find a momo you might want to reconsider that as an option as it has issues with the gear flippers (black momo) and with 2nd hand this will most surtainly be a problem sooner or later.

6. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

DFGT is better than Momo in every way apart from the pedals which are pretty much identical.

7. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Without a doubt go with the DFGT if you don't want the G27. DFGT is the best wheel out there in that price range.

I put tens of thousands of virtual laps on my black momo and that wheel was still going strong when I put it on the shelf.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2011
  8. johnsclander

johnsclander Registered

DFGT without any doubt: great FFB, 900º, sequential gear shift, plenty of buttons, "good looking" wheel, Logitech drivers and warranty.

Cons: buttons instead of paddles. Pedals are plastic and "soft" (but durable), better play in socks.

9. cluj

cluj Registered

No think more, your best bet is the DFGT :)

10. fazerbox

fazerbox Registered

DFGT is a great wheel for that price and very solid. Passed 2 year and it continues to work without any problems.
    A lot of buttons on wheel and you will use all of them.

But If you can take a G27, it has clutch that DFGT hasn't

Max.

11. admzz

admzz Registered

I appreciate the help guys, I'm going to go with the DFGT unless I stumble on a cheap g25/27.

Cant wait for RF2!

12. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Logitech Australia now selling the G27 for $299.

13. Grubby

Grubby Registered

14. admzz

admzz Registered

So I actually came across 2 g27's one was brand new for $170, the other was used at a pawn shop near me for $150.. Got home with both of them and of course the used one did not work, but the one i bought new works just fine. We returned the used one, h owever now I'm at a loss trying to find another g27 for a price anywhere from $150-220 ... There aren't anymore on craigslist near me, and I had seen an ad a few days ago for a g27 at tigerdirect for 220...

If anyone here knows where I can buy one more of these things for a decent price(my price range stated above) please let me know. My dad and I are trying to both have a g27 especially after having tested it and seeing how awesome it is. It would really blow to have one of us using a thrustmaster or dfgt at this point lol...

15. admzz

admzz Registered

Normally, I'd agree with you because my dad would be the one to take the good one and leave me with something a little worse(IE: when i was younger he would buy a nice video card/processor and I would get his old one) but at this point im 19 years old and able to pay for my own g27 :p Its more like neither of us wanting to pay $300 for a g27 when we got another new one for $170 :p

16. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

To the op...PM me if you live in the USA. I just bought the ClubSport pedal package and will be bringing my ten year old, modified Momo Force wheel out of retirement. I'm selling my G25. I have never used the H-pattern shifter as I always use paddle-shifting, so the gearshift though mounted has never been used.

17. elwood

elwood Registered

G27, solid, far better in mechanics than G25 (no straight cut gears, noisy like hell), and all the stuff you need , H pattern shifter and paddles and a good 3 pedal set, soft gas, hard brake pedal and medium clutch. I was tempted by Fanatec but two friends of mine told me something that didn't like me, motherboard issues, potentiometers broken. I want a solid stuff and G27 is rock solid and fit my taste 100%. Hope it helps.

18. franz71

franz71 Registered

I've the "old" DFP and the G25.
    Since I use the G25 I lost half a second a lap. I never felt comfortable. But the pedals of the G25 is better. Now I have found a way to use the pedals of the G25 with the DFP. You recommended it to me? Or you have rewritten the FFB for a mile working with the G25?
    Thanks!