Streaming with rF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by knackko, Nov 20, 2011.

1. knackko

knackko Registered

Hi,

Got a question as I use to play rf1 with my first PC while the second one is recording/streaming the race running rf1 too (with an automatic script to change camera and drivers) : with rF2, will I have to buy 2 licences to do that ? will I have to create a second user on matchmaker for my camera ?

What I want to say, I will have to pay a licence and create another user only for the streaming (and not for driving), what about a restrictive rf2.exe to be only spectator ? As rf1 with aiw tool which restrict the normal rF1 exe to tests.

More idealistic, as the dedicated server exe which need no licence to use it, we should have the opportunity to make a PC recording and streaming races without the need to have a licence only for it.

2. SeKa

SeKa Registered

Yes, agree. We need obligatory for Spectators a restrictive exe. We need it to show people what and how is a league from drivers point of view, to convey the meaning non-leagues driver or simulation interested people who have no idea about all our stuff. With this opportunity, a streaming would be in many cases unnecessary too. For most activities the restrictive exe is a better choice to invite people.

Maybe ISI will create a spectator exe, they do not need to install the whole game. Only a tool to join a event, and with those interested people can see whats going on.

3. Gimli Oakenshield

Gimli Oakenshield Registered

Really great idea !

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I would be glad with some sort of but I would expand it by adding some proxy. It would make possible to connect as much spectators as proxy machine can handle without affecting the race. In other words, game server will send data to proxy (and players of course), then proxy will resend it to all spectators.

I believe administrators will agree with me, if I say that crashing game servers by too much spectators connected to the server is one of the worse scenarios when organizing big/international events.

Finally I think that it must not be implemented into rF2. it would be enough to get some documentation to write such proxy by our own.

5. SeKa

SeKa Registered

Yes you are on the right road. But I would prefer a ISI solution most. Anyway, to distribute the spectators data over proxy or something like that could be the better way, sure! And it would reduce data from dedi instance. Just fine to host more dedis on a root. Otherwise, how will rF2 handle spectators? Or is it going to be killed - a feature which is state of the art since rF1?

6. knackko

knackko Registered

Nice idea too, but spectators will need the game install. The main goal was for me to do a streaming on livestreaming, justintv for spectators which dont have or dont anything about simracing games.
    But your idea enhance the number of cameras to make a streaming studio ! for example with a streaming team of 4 guys : 3 streamers are connected to the proxy and made different choices of camera, and the last choose one stream from the 3 guys to diffuse it on the main stream !
    The proxy is also a good idea for teams during endurance races, it permit to team managers to follow the car and it permit to the teams to stream their proper view of the race !

(i just hope my english is not too bad :) )

7. alexandreafc

alexandreafc Registered

A very good way to stream will be rFactor2 permit to connect direct on server to get stream. Example I have a player (Flash or Silverlight player), so I pass link of my server and rFactor2 generate image for me. To change cameras and players and etc I need to have a tool to command what my server generate. This will be fantastic because will permit a very good quality of image because speed of upload of servers are very good. This can be done ISI?

8. knackko

knackko Registered

Where is the video encoded ? on rfactor server ? encoding a stream is too heavy for the cpu to be done on the game server ! I think that admins prefer save cpu ressource for the rfactor process.

9. alexandreafc

alexandreafc Registered

I think not! The only requirement would be to have a good processor on the server, it would be a matter of having good server or not, to generate the image from the server or not, this will allow broadcasts in HD or FullHD for example what would be just fantastic. Here in Brazil the major leagues broadcast live races but always got stuck with that image quality is delivered because the upload speed depends on where the image is generated and unless you have a dedicated link your upload speed is bad. The only solution to this is to get the direct image of the server simulator.

10. knackko

knackko Registered

I'm not convinced of putting a streaming server which encode on the same server as rfactor, too much things done by a server increase the possibility of crashes or other problems... for the ressources I wont rent a such server, encoding in 720p in realtime demand at least to have a quad core (at least) with you want a good image quality, if you add the rfactor part, you will rent a server with 6 or 8 cores ?

11. alexandreafc

alexandreafc Registered

This need to be tested. Today I have a server with 6 core (i have a server with iweb.com). It's necessary to test this because if you think in our houses we have a good machine to generate image so why server will need more resource that a common machine need today? Another solution is ISI developer a program just to stream a race and control it, so each one decide if the machine will be the server that fun the race or another server. The important thing here is is the capacity to generate the image from a server hosted in a datacenter and not at home.

12. Kalle Lints

Kalle Lints Registered

I have my own 8 core server for rfactor and I still dont see that I would stream our races from there. Another exe just for streaming would be perfect but we need comments on race anyway and audio out of sync is just not an option and if you think you can sync server video with home audio then I think you are wrong. Last few years streaming have been my only connection with rfactor :D Do get best quality I can I had to modify UI and make that preview window bigger. I film that and getting 720p from there. If there would be special streaming program then I think I would get 1080p :p

13. Gimli Oakenshield

Gimli Oakenshield Registered

Most leagues have realy poor configuration for their serveur, that solution is clearly not possible for them.
    Encoding is realy heavy for most low-priced server available on the net.

14. alexandreafc

alexandreafc Registered

For Brazil I think that solution to better quality of image is to stream over game server because our internet connections have a poor upload speed. Does anyone have any solution that works today for rFactor1 or 2 to improve the transmission quality of the image?

It would be nice if everyone posting here and found solutions that utilize today, so we can all exchange ideas on how to improve the quality of the transmitted image.

15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Maybe I don't understand the issue correctly, but streaming video data directly from server means, that server must render the scene which is likely not what server is dedicated for. Rendering scene requires graphics card powerful enough to generate video. Most of servers is not such equipped. Additionally rendering image will definitely involve CPU also which slow down whole machine, which should be fast enough to process and stream a lot of data for connected racers.

Regarding further possibility to change camera by any connected spectator it turns into rendering as many scenes as spectators connected. It is impossible.

So, I'm not talking that it wouldn't be a nice feature. But it is impossible nowadays.

16. alexandreafc

alexandreafc Registered

You read the entire thread? I believe we have come to the conclusion that the server would not be cool to have a separate program to connect to the server as a spectator and the image would produce the correct and that the program but which would allow the cameras to change the car in focus and so on. The discussion is now another, what the possible solutions and what each one took, so everyone can evaluate how to improve their quality of tranmissão.

17. Kalle Lints

Kalle Lints Registered

Ofc the video stream can be created on background and no need do display it but have no idea how to do that, so right now only thing i can see is just another exe and stream like allways.

alexandreafc: how much upload do you have for streaming? Image quality is directly related with that so how much you have, that good image you get :)

I make stream with "livestream" and record it in 720p quality with capture cart on another computer. So livestream is ok do watch but after that on youtube we can see it in 720p quality. I defenately would not do 2 thing at once but I want better quality :D

18. alexandreafc

alexandreafc Registered

That's the point in my server I have 10MB in my house 450KB (ehehhehehe) 5MB download, some times 550KB.

19. Kalle Lints

Kalle Lints Registered

I have 1 mbit/s upload and I dont think that stream is that bad. I belive your MB and KB means mbit/s and kbit/s? Before my ISP rised my upload I had 500 kbit/s or something so I did stream with that. Because Livestream allow free stream up 500 kbit/s so its no problem for me :p Dont have money for that anyway so for me its enaugh.

20. Tripp

Tripp Registered

Kalle the best thing is that allow spectators direct in your servers.
    Let them join your team speak with the commentators then they have live HD image and also live commentators :)
    Off course the spectators must be mic muted ;) we now that servers can host limited drivers and spectators servers max is 103 maybe race have 24 drivers 2 commentators and 30 spectators that is just 56 total and that is good thst csn be possible just set specator chat off so spectators not disturb ;)