Controller Limits

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Derek Speare, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I thought it was pretty obvious when he said '256 bits of resolution' he meant 'parts' or 'pieces' or 'steps'. The result is the same... 3 values per mm, which is easily enough for any human.

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Well, if "bits" for him meant "pieces" then ok, but that's not what "bits" actually mean in computer world :)

3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

No, you're right.
    By bits I meant pieces or steps.
    Was not referring to bits and bytes.

As I said those numbers (and terms) came from memory and I should not trust my memory too much. Old age is creeping up on me too fast. Doesn't help when the years 16-25 are a blur of over indulgence. :(
    To all the youngsters out there, moderation is the key, or if you're really smart, "Just Say No".

4. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I think that A) I feel a fool for taking part in such an intelligent conversation with my own ignorant views
    B) Someone from ISI needs to answer this ASAP before a battle breaks out, lol.

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

There is another reason to use 3rd party controller for pedals. I'm using LoadCell modification for my G25 pedals. Maximum pressure of such modified brake pedal (about 40kg) refers to about 60% of G25 pedal controller range. It lowers your brake resolution significantly (from 256 steps to about 150). Moreover if you want to simulate some dead-zone of pedal, you must sacrifice additional resolution for this. After this, if you check brake pedal movement in controller menu of rF, you manage that it is not smooth any more. There are vissible value-to-value jumps.

Does it matter or not - it's beyond of this discussion. But for sure this behaviour is not similar to real car one, I'm sure.
    With Bodnar's controller (I own 10bit one, but there is 12bit available), value changes got back to smoth as expected.

BTW: From my knowledge (as programmer) and technical point of view, there is no problem to support all controllers as long as they registered in operating system (Windows).

6. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Registered

My soon to be released 12 bit controller boards have integrated load cell amps with variable gain control to ensure that you can adjust your personal, relative maximum braking pressure while still preserving the entire bandwidth of the channel. My 10 bit boards have this as well as my free standing load cell amps. This is the same as the "trim knob" found on the Fanatec Clubsports. Only a guy who spends time on the track would know the value ;)

d

7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Bump.

8. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Registered

Bump to the second power ;)

9. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

And from me juicy big wet bump ;)

10. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Bumpity bumpity bump again back to page 1.

3800+ views.
    It seems people are interested in this topic.

11. Bounty

Bounty Registered

I'd like to see more as well.

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Not that I've heard, but that doesn't mean no. So take that as written. :)

13. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Thanks for the reply.

14. Stefaan

Stefaan Registered

+1 for more then 4 controllers,

I have CST pedals, t500 wheel, th8rs H shifter and a frex SEQ shifter.

With this high end hardware the reality is that you end up with 3 controllers vs a combo pack like a G27 which I assume only counts as one controller for the same functionality.

Today my Derek Spear button box arrived which now makes it 5 controllers and I don't consider this type of setup abnormal for a sim racer.

Thx

15. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

+1 on upping limit i just bought another box but i can't use it so its a 80 dollar paperweight.............with buttons :)

16. Brian Clancy

Brian Clancy Registered

I have a whole host of customers who would love to see upping the limit :)

It would not be hard to go to 7 or 8 controllers (seriously) and whilst many would not, a larger and larger section of the community use more and more hardware to improve their simulations..

:)

17. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

Technically, I don't see why there should be any kind of limit.
    However, I'd like to remind about one general issue with RF2: Controller IDs. RF2 uses id1/id2 etc...to map the commands. If you physically add a new controller there a good chances that it gets ID 1 > all mapping will be wrong. I already suggested to use controller names instead of ids to avoid this issue but I never got a reply from ISI so far....

18. MKD

MKD Registered

If you tried and notice no difference A it wasnt working or B you werent working c you have cement shoes and limited feeling in your senses..

19. MKD

MKD Registered

I have currently LT gt 27 , 27 pedals and bodnar USB cable , Derek S button box, symprojects revburner, symprojects spi-d, symprojects proshift with buttons. All work fine.

I see no reason why they can not accommodate more , and people that need them have them and those that feel it is unnecessary , can plug in to , well another spot...

20. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I hope ISI supports more than 3 controllers in the end product. I've run into this problem in the past and there's no need of it in a modern sim. This is exactly the type of thing that the new generation of sims needs to address- not just making the game prettier.

Wheel
    pedals
    h-shifter or sequential
    button box
    hand brake (they have touted in the past the advanced gravel physics rF2 will have)

those are the easy and obvious ones and that's only 5