proposal for upcoming beta

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gambero, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Gambero

Gambero Registered

Hi all rF maniacs, :cool:

I read that soon will be available a open beta to bench testing it and I also read that it will costs as full game but giving 18 months of online contents

what I would like to suggest to ISI guys is to offer different types of open beta to suits all tastes:

* one at low price ($15 ?) with limited cars / tracks and no online service that can be upgraded to full beta paying the difference
    * one at low price ($25 ?) with limited cars / tracks and online service that can be upgraded to full beta paying the difference
    * one full open beta as proposed by ISI

with the "light beta" anyone can verify his hardware config, help in beta testing and decide if the game does suit him and upgrade to "full beta"

@ISI and community: what do you think about ?
    is it possible ?

ciao

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Gambero, it's already been said the beta will contain only a few mods/tracks. I don't think there's much scope for further reducing this number.

If you don't want to pay the full price for such a limited beta... don't get it :)

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The pricing will be as already stated. Even if you want to use it offline only, there will not be a reduction. Just simply do not pay us in one years time. :)

4. Gambero

Gambero Registered

stiffening the system will not help the selling

but this is only my opinion

5. 88mphTim

It's the most simplistic way of doing it. Even if it were an option, being complicated and too much choice doesn't help selling, either.

6. benny75

benny75 Registered

Firstly this post isn't directed towards anyone or any previous post it is purely my thoughts on the pricing offered for rfactor 2 upcoming release after reading many positive and negative comments about the pricing.

I think the price and offer is very fair, ISI could have quite easily made the product $100.00 which most companies would have just to cover the costs of time involved in making the software. They could have brought in a subscription based system 3 years down the track and effectively forced everyone into a 3 year subscription on original purchase and People would have paid it. I not only happily paid for rfactor 1 but regularly contribute more than the yearly fee being asked by ISI every month to help run the server so I can spend my free time running this game with people I enjoy racing with. I have never even looked at Iracing so unaware of the costs involved for that software but from the little I know I'm believe the cost being offered by ISI is less for rfactor, and if the flexibility is still there for developers to create mods for users using the rfactor platform I'm more than happy to pay.

Finally With the way that it is being offered you have the option to not renew after 12 months and carry on offline only which some people prefer, and they are also have offered 18 months Subscription with original purchase to cover the period where the game has less mods and tracks available. I understand that people want to know if it works on the system before purchasing, but I believe they said in an interview (happy to be corrected) that there would be a demo version available to do this but maybe not with the beta version.

7. Peter Read

Peter Read Registered

It's a smart move by ISI and they will earn more money for it.

People will pay for it. Same thing happened with iRacing. Many people complained that it wouldn't work. For about a year the service was quite stagnant, until iRacing introduced some cars and tracks and people who would say they would never race on iRacing because of the price, ended up on iRacing and are loving it.

8. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

I am OK with what ISI is doing with their product, iRacing is a totally different monster. Although I really like the cars and tracks, the constant monthly fee's, and new cars/tracks are just not worth it in my opinion. The most irritating thing is not being able to use the software in a single player scenario..even without AI, no monthly fee no access.

9. CagleRacing

CagleRacing Registered

For the efforts going into rfactor 2, I think it is a bargain. From what I've seen in rfactor and development postings of rfactor 2, the work is clearly driven by a passion for creating an accurate simulation of the racing environment. IMHO, at best the money generated by sales just keeps things afloat so that further work and server availability can continue.

Cheers,
    Steven Cagle
    www.CagleRacing.com

10. Gambero

Gambero Registered

understood, no way out so before buy than suggest it I'll wait for opinion of trusted users
    thanks
    ciao

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
  11. Vedster

Vedster Registered

I have been reading this forum for a while, but this is my first post, hi all.

Well done ISI, I my eyes I think you have found an option to keep earning money at minimal cost to users.
    Developer such as ISI deserves our money, great support, transparent business practices, and great products, if we do not support you you will not be able to deliver the goods to us, simple as that.

Keeping my card handy and patiently waiting to pre-order/order the beta.

Ved

12. Ackemini

Ackemini Registered

i also have noticed this pattern in some of the latest titles, ex Dirt 3.. and i dont like the fact that you are buying a game and then you have to add "credits" to open tracks and cars.. This is taking the fun away and i belive it will make more people try to get around this in a illegal manner..

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ackemini, I think it's important to stay clear on the fact that no one is paying for cars and tracks for rF2.

People might argue the merits of paying for the ability to play online (despite apparently being willing to pay $70 (price of rF2 + 2 extra years), or $100 (+4 extra years), or even $150 (8 extra years)), but up to this point the statements we've had have ruled out paying for extra content.

At the end of the day, no one has to buy any game. If no one buys a game that requires extra money for content, they won't be made that way anymore. If people do, then it'll continue because people will. Anyone with rFactor who can't stand the idea of paying an annual fee for rF2 has another option - stay with rFactor! And I hear the price will be getting better too! :)

14. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Like most things in life you get what you pay for :)

Hopefully this will be better than the dross that codemasters et all pump out year after year, will actually work and provide great sim racing for the years ahead. Just like rf1 is still doing now.

It sounds like a small price to pay to me.

Roll on the beta :)

15. Bty

Bty Registered

They can still release a demo after the game is finished.

And remember that an open beta is a favor ISI is doing to the community who can't wait any longer.

16. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Yeah, a real favor...especially if you have to buy rF 2 first, to have access to the beta (not mentioning that ISI benefits a lot, having thousands beta testers testing their product).

17. Gambero

Gambero Registered

agree, that's the reason of my proposal above
    but anyone can spend his money how he likes ...

18. 88mphTim

I would absolutely be fine with that. We totally understand if this changes someone's position. As I said in another post I'm 100% sure everybody will get their moneys worth, even not including mods. The ongoing dev should be really cool.

19. 88mphTim

The post yesterday mentioned the availability of refunds. That is something that you would find very difficult to get elsewhere, believe me. :)

20. raisen1964

raisen1964 Registered

Don't forget, those that bought Codemasters F12011 have effectively paid for a beta, and are no closer to getting a reliable product.