Minimum/Recommended System Specs for rFactor 2

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 12, 2011.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

That's on the nicer side of gaming-capable laptops, but still may struggle. I would await the demo.

2. Tolik

Tolik Registered

Iam running it on my acer 5542g

AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M300 2.0 Ghz
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
    4GB memory Storage
    Windows 7 Ultimate

as long as there isnt that slowmotion bug, its playable on lowest settings(1366x768), with about 24 fps.

With everthing on max i see about 5 fps ;)

3. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

what does it really take to go full max ?

My system:
    core2 duo 3Ghz
    4G mem
    win7 64bit (fresh install so up to date)
    Nvidia 8800GT 1G mem (I think), dxdiag reports 2G
    newest driver from Nvidia site: 285.62
    soundblaster xtreme gamer w latest driver
    graphics res 1680x1050

I've set RF2 to:
    all medium settings
    No AA
    15 AI cars
    16 sounds

I only get 23FPS on the stating grid at Monaco. Then flucuates between 23 to mostly 35ish going around the track. There are moments in the 40s.

I think my specs are up to the recommended level though they perform at what I would call a minimum level. With graphics set to max I get like 5 FPS.

What the heck would it take to jack up the graphics? Would a quad core CPU help? Ideally I'd like to run the graphics on max.

4. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

A quad core wouldn't help much, rFactor2 can only use two cores at this time. To get 'max' you'd likely need a fairly big overhaul considering your GPU is listed as the minimum requirement. Slower GPUs can run the game but you're not going to get too far with an old 8800GT. There seems to have been a recent update for Windows 7 that improved performance for a good number of people but I can't guarantee that'll help as I don't know what it was or whether it was system specific.

To give you a contrast I'm running:
    Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
    Phenom II x4 925 @ 2.7ghz
    4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 PC1600
    Radeon HD5750 1GB

I get 30 - 50FPS @ Monaco in all conditions with 31 AI cars with all details on max at 1280 x 1024 (which is low but the maximum resolution for my awful screen) with AAx4 and AFx4.

Optimisation will come without a doubt and things will improve but even then you aren't going to get 'max' on that card.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2012
  5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've got a very similar machine to yours except a 9600GT 512mb, I too will want everything at MAX detail eventually but I'm keeping in mind the following:

1) I'm waiting for a few more Beta Updates to come out that may help with graphical performance and general CPU/GPU optimisation. Afterall this is a Beta and it should improve to be "Good enough & better than now" after a couple of updates.
    2) Presuming a few updates is a few months I'm looking at upgrading the GPU around May, gives plenty of time for new cards to come out and current ones to drop in value, also be good to get a rough idea on whether ATi or nVidia work best with RF2 (from Forum users feedback, Benchmarks etc), this maybe null and void and just a case of which ones cheapest to buy!
    3) CPU wise RF2 may well support 3 or more cores in the future so I might wait until that happens before upgrading my CPU (current is the same as yours E8400)

Thats what I'm doing anyway, but if you want a quick fix go for a new GPU now!

6. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm kind of anxious to play this sim in all its glory, knowing an upgrade is inevitable. I've got a line on a good quad core but gpiggy has me thinking my video is the weaker link. So I think I'll do some shopping for a good card, possibly one that can run as a sli pair. I run my 8800s in sli mode normally on three monitors but sli doesn't work right now for rf2. But since I can't get good fps rates on even one screen with no sli I doubt the sli boost with my 8800s will be enough to get the job done on three screens.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'm thinking of SLI too for when I upgrade, depends on cash and whether two cards are better than 1 for my use (only one screen)

8. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Do remember though that with SLI and Crossfire it is still, (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) the case that it does not double the video ram. If you're lacking in that respect you'll still be lacking when you put the new card in.

9. Novis

Novis Registered

I think this is a bit on the low side. My 8800 GTS 640 MB have a hard time loading Monaco alone with high details. Putting in a few car models and any track is a no-go. As a minimum recuirement the 8800 is ok. I would say 1 GB video memory is more or less a must, 2 GB a good idea. A higher-end video card like GTX 560 Ti or HD 6950 is probably a good target to aim at...

10. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

GTX 260 216SP with 896 vs 1792MB (both with the same core/shaders/memory clocks) and there was no difference in both performance and smoothness during tests under Win 7 64 bit.
    But I already noticed with GTA IV, that under Win 7 you don't need as much GPU MEM as it is under XP. Maybe that's also the case in rF 2?

11. Novis

Novis Registered

Adding more video memory is not going to make the game run any faster by default, unless it suffer from texture swapping for example.

I'm pretty sure my problem is that RF2 is trying to put more stuff on the graphics card than there is memory available for, making the game crash. Try to load Monaco in All Cars at full detail and select 20-30 AI cars to force multiple models to load (also at full detail). Will it load with the 896 MB card, a 1 GB card?

12. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

That's why some of system memory is reserved as extended video memory. I will do the test but I can already tell you, that at full details, 100 cars (Megane Trophy) at Mills eat 1,4GB of video memory.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
  13. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Video ram isn't a huge limiting factor. I've got an upper-mid range video card and I can comfortably get 31 cars on track in full detail.

14. JamesGTRS

JamesGTRS Registered

I just built a new system, hoping it should work well with RF2. It looks like I meet the recommended specs, but I'll end up upgrading the video card to take advantage of more in the future.

CPU : AMD A8-3870 (Quad 3.0GHz)
    Video : Radeon HD 6550D 1GB (about a 4870).
    RAM : 15GB DDR3.

15. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

The 6550D can't hold a candle to the 4870... or even the 4850. Most tests I've looked up show it's slightly behind the level of a desktop HD6450 or a GT220, (especially when paired with DDR3 1333mhz) which are quite some way off the HD4870, a card with slightly less performance than the HD6750. That means you're not just below recommended specs for the GPU, your GPU is actually below minimum specs, (HD3850, approximately equivalent to the desktop HD6570.) Confusing, I know, but one thing to remember is that mobile solutions, (especially on-CPU ones) don't perform on the level of desktop expansion cards. It might sound like a small difference but a 6750 is about twice as potent as a 6570 which in turn has a respectable margin over the 6450.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2012
  16. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

Hi James, nice to see another rfactor simmer from St Louis !!

17. R35-Vspec

R35-Vspec Registered

I'm planning to buy Asus N43SL. I wonder if rF2 works well.

Processor: i5-2410

Ram: 4GB

2 GB Dedicated Graphics Card (GT540M DDR3 VRAM)

18. Nestor A Bogo

Nestor A Bogo Registered

Thanks for this information....

:D.

19. Caterham_Super_7

Caterham_Super_7 Registered

Dear RF'ers

I'm looking towards 6 Dell pc's with the following components for a club set-up.
    It's to be used only with RF2 Historic and I'm looking for fast graphics and high settings.

can anybody comment ?

Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1240 v2 (Quad Core, 3.40GHz Turbo, 8MB)
    Windows 7 Professional (64Bit) English
    1 GB ATI FirePro V4900 (2DP & 1DVI-I) (1DP-DVI & 1DVI-VGA adapter)
    Standard 275W Base
    4GB (2x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC
    Integrated SATA Controller
    C1 SATA 3.5inch, 1 Hard Drive
    No RAID
    500GB 3.5inch Serial ATA (7.200 Rpm) Hard Drive
    16x DVD+/-RW Drive

20. DocJones

DocJones Registered

The ATI Firepro V4900 is a workstation grafic card, it's driver being optimized for working in CAD programs etc., not gaming. Note that you usually pay more for a workstation card compared to an equally potent consumer grafics card. Also, while gaming is possible, don't expect rF2 to run with any eyecandy enabled. The V4900 is comparable to an ATI HD 6670, which is hardly sufficient for rF2.