Minimum/Recommended System Specs for rFactor 2

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 12, 2011.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

But then you can never compare if they had started over with DX9, either...

2. Uff

Uff Registered

Actual engine is an evolution of what we already had in Shift 2, but the plans are to develop a full Dx11 engine and then downport it to Dx9, rather than the opposite.

3. 88mphTim

Be very interesting to see the difference then with software which was initially DX11. I believe that'll be the first graphics engine to do it that way?

4. Uff

Uff Registered

As far as I'm aware, yes. It will definitely be interesting to see the final result (at the moment they claim Dx9 and Dx11 to have the same feature, with the latter which should be 20% faster than the first one).
    There's only another game who has a full Dx10/11 engine and it's Battlefield 3: that game doesn't support Dx9 anymore.

5. GTros

GTros Registered

Hi, I had a question of my new pc for playing rfactor2.

What processor its better to this game, and i3 2120 or a new FX-4100, with 4 GB ram and a 6870???? Please help me, i dont know whats its better choice.

Thanks a lot.

6. theother5

theother5 Registered

Honestly, GTros .... this question is really a can of worms ....

Both will work well for rF2. The recommended specs are already posted which no doubt you have seen.
    People may well answer and the Intel Vs AMD discussion will have good justifications in each case.

Maybe someone has a FX-4100 and will comments.

For me, I would lean towards the i3 if the FX-4100 is the only other choice!

Google "Fx-4100 Vs i3" and see what you get back. Decide based on information from the more established forums. [Tomshardware /s / Overclockers ]. Ignore the likes of Yahoo answers and so on.

Good luck

Much depends on your overall system.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2011
  7. JyrkiV

JyrkiV Registered

Yes! With the beta apparently getting close I finally had to register at this forum instead of just lurking around.:eek:
    And i really must start upgrading my rF1-old computer. I'm just a bit undecided on GPU. GTX560 (non-Ti) and HD6870 are pretty much the same on average but there can be large differences with one given game. Who's brave enough to bet wheather rF2 prefers nVidia or AMD? (I kind of suspect ISI won't comment ;))

8. 88mphTim

I have an i5 2500. Works well...

9. 88mphTim

Performance runs pretty much on the published benchmarking tests at places like Toms Hardware. I use ATI but others in the office use nVidia... :)

10. JyrkiV

JyrkiV Registered

Great! Then you can do some benchmarking and put the results on this forum, no?:cool:

11. 88mphTim

These are different computers... lol

12. BanjoMaster

BanjoMaster Registered

Tim/Gents

Apologies for using my first post to ask an embarrassing noob question, but the last time I was in any way familiar with PC hardware was back in the day of SportscarGT and the original FIA GT addon for the F1 series!

Question is this: My wife is nagging me to get a laptop as she’s fed up with a big desktop taking up ‘valuable’ space. I’m looking to use the opportunity to hoodwink her and get something that’ll be powerful enough to run rFactor2 quite nicely, but I’m struggling to compare the min/recommended processor spec in your first post against the majority of the gaming laptop CPUs I’m digging up in my searching! A lot of the CPUs are running speeds of about the 2GHz speed (e.g. i7 2630QM), but occupy several rungs up the hierarchy ladder linked previously from the CPUs you quote in the min spec. My query boils down to: will this class of CPU easily handle rF2, or is the clock speed the real minimum standard?

Thanks for your indulgence :)

13. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Hi.
    I obviously do not speak for ISI, but from my previous experience with "gaming" laptops you will be left wanting more. Every laptop i've tried handles tasks a LOT slower than a pc even when the laptop has a newer-faster cpu than said pc. Also laptop video cards are more or less junk.
    I bought a gaming laptop for the wife with a considerably faster cpu than my pc, more ram and what should have been a big GPU upgrade. Games that i could run maxxed out with great framerates on my pc, ran like crap at low settings on the laptop.

14. 88mphTim

If you want to get a laptop for gaming, you're going to pay through the roof. I'd actually debate whether it might be cheaper to get her a laptop and build yourself a gaming desktop...

Gaming laptops have their limits. You can find ones suitable for really high-end gaming, but usually the overheating issues are massive and that shortens the lifespan of the internal components.

Where are you located? I'll try to give you some links.

15. BanjoMaster

BanjoMaster Registered

Tim/Foxtrot

Thanks for the info (I'd basically come to the same conclusion after my own research), but I think I may have found a suitable compromise in the form of the little SFF gaming desktops, such as the little Cryopower one, which look to pack a fair punch whilst still being relatively discrete - it'd fit in the stand under my TV no problem, and looks a bit like a HiFi component. Plus you save 3-4 figures over a laptop too. Job done I reckon!

In Scotland, for your info :)

Cheers

16. Gambero

Gambero Registered

thanks for this topic about spec, I'm in also with recommended

now the problem will be the full game price and the annual fee amount ;)

17. 88mphTim

Those look OK. Always make sure you look at reviews, check if any models overheat, etc. Google is your friend when you're buying either a laptop or a desktop in a specialized case.

Anyway, in the UK I usually had good experiences from dabs.com and novatech.co.uk. Competitive pricing compared to anything else I found at the time. Although I haven't lived in the UK since 2007. :)

18. knightyc

knightyc Registered

ebuyer.com better and cheaper than dabs never had any problems with them :)

19. mikla521

mikla521 Registered

I wonder how well rF2 works with nVidia 3D Vision.
    SimBin games works perfect while some newer Codemaster games doesn't....
    However, rF1 works perfect as well :)

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

One of the very recent nVidia driver updates listed rF2 support with the same level as rF1 (excellent or some such).