Which sim is best?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TonyRickard, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you answered my question, and looked into the possibility the problem might be at your end (instead of assuming the download itself is broken) you might get somewhere. No help indeed.

2. Jeremy_D

Jeremy_D Registered

First I know you know that video is 3 updates old. You may not know but driving like that does not work in the sim any more. I agree its crap it ever did but it doesn't anymore...but nice try.

cdnRacer you are an embarrassment to the sim racing community period. I dont care if its rfactor ,Mario Cart or iRacing. We would all be better off without you.
    A hater is no better than a fanboy.

I can dig up videos of stupid crap happening in rfactor and ASR if I wanted too but its not that important to me to prove a point to a stranger whos opinion I could care less about ;) I also remember reading a post at Blackhole Motor sports back in the day about a kid who sent another kid a box of crap...not junk...CRAP! True or not I dont know it seemed like it. My point, all walks of people sim racing and every sim has followers who are idiots. You cant blame the sim for that.

It is amazing how much false information the haters will post to try to prove there point.

David Fisher...R2P...dont make me laugh. That place has become the joke of sim racing. Why even waste anybody's time trying to get them to come over there?

3. Taranta

Taranta Registered

Dont' worry be happy ..... right is right and iRacing netcode is the best, also tracks are the best .... physics/FFB work in progress .... better NKPro

Ciao

4. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

That's not true. You can also have that in nK Pro for example :)

5. CalgarySimRacer

CalgarySimRacer Registered

Some interesting video's that insure iRacing is the #1 sim

Enjoy..I'm a member by the way so don't hate on me...But from a planted, feel the road, tight grip sim point of view, Iracing fails bad..Worst physics i've ever felt..I've been a sim racer and race school instructor during my spare time on the weekends, and iRacing is like driving on an icy road surface..I started sim racing back in the days when MR Kaamer was working for papyrus..The NTM is bizarre, and when you get in a loose state with this new HPD, Ford GT, Riley Daytona Prototype, just hang on cause you rarely are gonna get out of it..

This is my first post here, read all of the previous posts, and gotta say that iRacing fanboys are the worst this awesome age of sim racing has to put up with..I drive a real Porsche 911 twin turbo, and know everything about how a real car should handle under any circumstance..

Anyways here are some amazing physics and netcode that makes iRacing the #1 sim out today...Pay attention to the realism of the NTM on the HPD Prototype...Didn't know prototypes can drift like that around a perfectly fast corner without touching any curbs and fail so bad...Till the next post, iRipoff for the win!!

Yup iRacing and MR. Brilliant himself Dave Kaamer sure know how to bless us with his NTM and iRacing 2.0 The next Revolution in all out fail racing.. These video's make me proud to be a lucky iRacing Member.. Dam I Think Kaamer should give up on his Genius Mathematical abilities and get out of Sim Racing for good...I heard NASA is hiring Genius's like himself for their next space rocket program.. Judging from his brilliant bugs in the netcode, he's off to a fine start.

Anyways don't worry iRacing fanboys, iRacing is only just 3 yrs old, and one year MR Kaamer will figure it out..Like he said: "IRacing is a WIP and will always continue to innovate." Dam how did he get that car to take that whole corner perfectly with the front tires locked? I'm impressed!!

6. +1 :cool:

7. simfan

simfan Registered

iR FFB is very good in Skip, but in new GT40 is worse than in rf ;)
    It depends on car :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2011
  8. vali

vali Registered

Calm down, guys...

Every current SIMULATOR of this era have their own pros and cons and talking s**t about the one you don't like only makes you appear as a crybaby.

About Iracig, I got 1 month suscription (and got 2 more for free) with the old tiremodel. I didn't find it to be "the next best thing" and in the end only played about 1 month. The netcode is ok if you play in the servers on the same part of the world as you, but I had to play in US servers a couple of times. People started to act like spoiled kids because sometimes the car dissapeared a couple of times in a lap. I was running first and someone drived slow just to bump me out of the road when I lapped him and the game penalized me.

So, the netcode is not that good, the iracers are not that great and I felt like plying against IA (most of them were just trying to climb in the stats). The FFB is not that different from LFS either (but better than rFactor, of course).

There was a couple of things I liked a lot: the wheel calibration. It didn't matter the amount of degrees you used, it always feel right. The tracks were also very good (well done laser scanning is expensive, but the result is great) but were too few and didn't find their layouts appealing.

That was my experience but I will not say it is bad... just I didn't like it.

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

and don't forget that the physics are ****.

10. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Your insight always brings about the most meaningful discussions.

11. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

So after working on this new car for the last 6 weeks now I'm really coming to the conclusion that this car is messed up bad. When I was working on the Truck earlier this season and the Nationwide last season, the front suspension seemed to make a huge difference in grip level when the splitter was as close to the track as possible. The way this car currently is, having the front end up or down doesn't seem to make a difference at all.

That was a post from a very fast racer in the impalla forum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOomXrposTU&feature=player_embedded

there's a video from the same sub forum. I could show you all day iracings horrible physics. I'll keep posting when I feel the time. Anyways take care fanboys. Looks like iR 2.0 has gone back to GPL as there is no fall off on the new tire model. DK forgot to add it as he was reading about the eating habits of cattle. LOL.

I don't know of any sim that you can mash the brake and gas at the same time to save a spin. In iracing you can. Heck you can turn into the spin as that is an easier way to save it. the transmission model is absolute arcade....pure arcade!! And hey denzer you can't drive worth a **** so really your opinion means absolutely nothing.

ever notice how if someone points out that iracing is **** they are a hater? If someone points out any other sim is **** that seems to be o.k? Huh....I'm an iR member but I'm a hater. WEird!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. RT1971

RT1971 Registered

13. mrtrent

mrtrent Registered

CdnRacer= rFactor FANBOY why are you an iRacing member if it is so bad? iRacing is good enough for McLaren Automotive to work with iRacing to build a virtual version of the McLaren MP4-12C GT3 race car. Not a mod by some kid in his moms basement, but a state-of-the-art digital version of the McLaren MP4-12C GT3.

I have been hovering here, iRacing and NetKar and trying to decide where to invest.

NetKar is all most dead - from Wikipedia: "The netKar Pro community had to wait until January, 16 2010. Shortly afterwards Casillo announced on the public forum that "Full Mode", a gameplay mode which aims for maximum realism and is currently used by GPChampionship, the main organized racing event in the netKar Pro community, was going to be "deprecated", i.e. disappear from the GUI of netKar (thus forcing users to activate it through manually edits to the text configuration files) and eventually become unsupported. This caused concern in the community that netKar Pro will be abandoning its commitment to realism in the future and become less of a simulator and more of a videogame."

rFactor has little competition, not central organization, poor graphics, unreal physics and tires, but I am holding out for better in rFactor2.

But leaning towards iRacing at the moment.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry... but I have to laugh at 'unreal physics'. I've noticed a few iRacing members get suckered into the 'real' physics claims, and it's because people think you can measure real-life performance and magically make a sim correct. Everything is an approximation, because no matter how good the data you put in, any physics engine follows its own methodology (and there are probably an infinite number) to try to replicate real-life performance. And you can be pretty sure that since even a supercomputer using its latest-and-greatest tyre model (again, a bit of a 'close your eyes and choose one' or 'work out what seems best' situation) and an extremely small-scale base (which still doesn't replicate real life, which is obviously infinitely detailed), working with timeslices much much smaller than we'll see in home computers for many years (because games/sims generally need to work in realtime), would still fail to exactly reproduce real-life results and would therefore be subject to some 'tweaking' of the collected real life data to shape the output, that it would also happen (and probably to a greater extent) in current sims.

Anyone who thinks you can just take real measurements, plug them into a 'proper' sim, and get perfect results, doesn't understand the sheer complexity of modelling complex physical interaction. Heck, even the measurement phase contains enough generalisations and compromises to blow that theory out of the water.

It's why, in general, sim-makers might talk about how complex their sim is, and might even suggest it's the most realistic yet, but they very very rarely claim it actually captures real-life behaviour. They each have their own ideas about how best to approximate it (if they thought there was a better approach than their own they'd take it, presumably) and it seems to me they respect each others' work. It's the end users who get all passionate about their particular choice being best - despite being furthest out of the loop and having no idea what compromises are involved.

So, we can have guys like CdnRacer putting iRacing down (incessantly... can't fault his loyalty lol), and others putting rFactor down because they think iRacing (or something else) is so much better, but at the end of the day the ones making the most noise are probably the worst informed.

And then there's the really big factor for online racing: lag. Doesn't matter how close you get everything else, lag introduces so many variables you can't possibly hope to espouse any online racing game as being perfect. But I understand it's no fun just sitting back and saying, "hey, I like my psuedo-sim more than your pseudo-sim, just because, since neither one's perfect," so... these arguments will never stop. Whatever floats your boat.

That was actually the point of the first post in this thread, by the way - you might have missed that :)

15. mrtrent

mrtrent Registered

Just my opinion based on the pre-loaded cars and tracks that came with the trial version of rFactor.

I will give rF2 a try when it comes out in a few months. Back to Playstation.

16. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Rofl .......

17. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Do you know how to read mrtrent? I don't think so as I have never said on here rFactor is sooooooooooooo much better than anything else out there. You're an iR fanboy because you're blind as you can only see the marketing videos and commercials they spew out constantly. P.S Your sub money goes to those commercials and not into development. Also mrtrent. If you have to go to wikipedia to get your information about netkar(which is wrong btw) then you've just proven how clueless you are about simracing. Go give Dave K a big kiss on his bald head and tell him how lucky you are to be able to spend your money on the crap that he develops. Tell him maybe someday he'll have all the features nr2003 did in iracing.

iR's new tire model is absolutely laughable. Here is a quote from Dave K's post.

As regards the grip on grass, I’ll leave you with this to ponder: it turns out that there is some data on the tear strength of different varieties of grasses, because apparently the weight gain of cattle is negatively correlated with the tear strength of the grass variety they are grazing on (in other words, cows don’t like grass that’s too chewy),

That guy is an idiot!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2011
  18. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Heres a video of some horrible low speed physics. You can really notice iR's arcade transmission model here too.

19. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

As far as I know, "mashing" brake and throttle (for RWD) works in every sim. As it does in real life. There's a LFB instructional vid knocking around by Andy Walsh (former F1 test driver) demonstrating it in a Lotus Elise. Turning into a spin has been discussed and demonstrated on the LFS forums. Theoretically, the same kind of principle of sliding the front tyres and keeping the rears moving.

As for the iRacing transmission model, it has some arcade features - autoclutch comes on to prevent stalling, and the brake when stationary. Generally, it's overly complicated if anything, and not at all arcade.

The one and only thing I do agree with you about is DK's spurious reference to the palatability of grass and ruminant nutrition! A rather arrogant way of dismissing the complaints about slippery grass. Basically, 'I've got some numbers, so don't argue with me'. I suspect most iRacers seeing Vettel take Alonso on the outside grass at 200 odd mph (or what ever it was at that point), would have been clenching their lower regions.

20. You must have a different version of rF than mine!!!

Little competition = ??? You must be joking!!!

No central organization = ??? D you know internet???

Poor graphics = Of course it's not F1 2011 but it's a sim of 6y old...

Unreal physics = Did you try the C.A.R.T. mod, GP79, Champcar series or BMW2007? All based on CFD!!!

I'm sure you are the joker!!!
    [​IMG]