Which sim is best?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TonyRickard, Jun 5, 2011.

1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Well, whether we like it or not iracing will always be considered the de-facto modern sim since it costs so much. Of course it has better this and that simply because it's new. rFactor isn't new. Even the race series isn't "new". So we are all now stuck in our encampments yelling at each other. I don't iRace for a few reasons. Too expensive, To limited, To limited and too expensive. Also I am partial to racing in a private group and thats possible with iRacing if you pay.

I may pay the $5 for 3 months just to watch the forums. Participating in enlightening discussions and grabbing used hardware from their "for sale" section since everyone there has so much disposable income they upgrade constantly.

2. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

The very point of this thread was to demonstrate there are sim racing fans who are exactly that, fans of sim racing in general. This has been my hobby for a very long time and Tim W and I go back a long way, before user created content was a feature of sim racing. Personally I have never understood the vitriol that exists in discussions about brands although it exists in many other Internet discussion groups.

As sim racing enthusiasts we aren't particularly spoilt for choice as with other genre. Publishers aren't queuing up to employ game studios to make hardcore racing sims. I think ISI and iRacing are two fascinating but wildly different approaches and I hope that both can take the genre forward in their own ways.

3. Donnie Witt

Donnie Witt Registered

Guys i am not a fanboy of iracing in any way shape or form . I could type all day about the things i don't like about iracing . As i said earlier i own rfactor & am just as eagerly awaiting rfactor 2 as you are . I agree with about 95% of your complaints about iracing .

4. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Dude....just stop already. I have been completely objective with what I have said. I've never said "iGame is better than rGame! rGame can suck it!". Try rebutting my arguments, not flaming me for saying something 'positive' about a product that you clearly have negative emotions about. I understand people don't like iRacing, and that's fine. I understand that people don't like rFactor, and that's fine, too. I happen to enjoy both--hardly a fanboy for either camp. I can't even AFFORD iRacing right now myself, so I COMPLETELY understand people who say it's too expensive. By no means is iRacing perfect, nor is rFactor. Both are bound by expense and marketing. Please keep the discussion rational and objective rather than trying to provoke a flame war.

5. beatnik

beatnik Registered

I am a fanboy of Sim Racing, end of story. I love 'em all. :)

6. michael1

michael1 Banned

yes but this is isi forums that means you come here to talk about isi not other sims am sure they have there own forums over at irace for everyone.
    mabe this is as good as Iracing [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

7. lespaul20

lespaul20 Registered

MaXyM I think you just turned blakboks original analogy of Apple versus Windows/Linux to Apple iOS versus Google Android.

blakboks I appreciate your post but using Apple as analogy will instantly bring up the term fanboy for, I think, obvious reasons. So while Apple/MS was probably a decent analogy, it further will cause polarized opinions since it's such a polarized subject itself.
    If you used cost as the comparative metric, your analogy really doesn't hold water. Apple products are now generally on par with competing products. rFactor has had several patches throughout it's life and as far as I know ISI didn't charge for the patches and from other posts by ISI staff, there will be update(s?) for rFactor 2 as well. So the subscription doesn't offer any more updates than what we will likely see from ISI.

I prefer rFactor and always will but if I had the money I'd own a IR subscription as well.

Interesting that no one has mentioned LFS. When I bought rFactor I remember that LFS would have been the one being discussed instead. Does this mean that LFS is officially dead?

8. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Pardon my immaturity, but ever since the iracing rf comparison to windows and mac comment, I have had this script going through my head.

iracing: Hi I'm an iracing. *waves*
    rfactor: Hi I'm an rfactor. *nods*
    iracing: *with eyes closed says* I have laser scanned tracks.
    rfactor: *rolls eyes* I have an open modding environment.
    etc etc etc etc and so on...

9. blakboks

blakboks Registered

@lespaul20 hahah...nice, I actually thought of LFS as well! But, yeah, it definitely seems dead in the water...which is too bad, it had a lot of decent things going for it. Not least of which was their FFB model. Unfortunately, about the only thing you can 'mod' are autocross layouts--it's definitely not extensible. Not to mention it offers no licensed content--which many people really won't mind, but I think to get a large following, it's quite necessary. People generally want to race on a track that's modeled from real life, even if it's with fictional cars. Plus, they made promises that were never kept as well--i.e. the Scirocco--but that could be because they've gone kaput.

10. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

This didn't get enough press back when I did it. A good argument always brings the traffic. Which is all this thread is going to be good for.

11. isamu

isamu Registered

I have three problems with iRacing at the moment:

1)There is not enough activity and racing sessions. The way they have it setup now, is that you have to wait to race, and race sessions happen only every two hours! The more I read around at different places, the more I read complaints about there not being any sessions available during the time people want to race.

2)All the races are LEAST 20 laps! That is ridiculous. Some of us enjoy sprint races want to race for only 3 to 5 laps maximum. I certainly become bored if I'm in a race and I'm lap 10 with no other cars around me. Becomes more like solo practice than racing.

3)They need to revamp the safety rating. Many people are complaining that they've wrecked out due to some ELSE ramming them into the wall, and they also lose a lot of SR points. That should not happen and iRacing needs to do something about it. They also need to allow for at least 10 damage repair fixes instead just one. If you wreck, you can only repair your car once and if it happens again, that's it you're out. Can you imagine that happening on lap 29 of a 30 lap race? **** that, I'd want no part of it.

So yeah, if those three issues got resolved I'd get into it big time.

12. michael1

michael1 Banned

lol is the same but 1 is free and 1 cost u 10 dollers from the spammers lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wsaRja5YEE?hd=1 i bet you cant do this with your i race watch from 1:27 into video
    [/

or this

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011
  13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Interesting that a thread started with a post lamenting the iRacing vs rFactor vs xyz arguments turns (rather inevitably) into one of those arguments... and it's a shame, because Tony made valid points.

The two are different things, rFactor's flexibility is its obvious weakness, if you want to have something that (I presume) has very little hassle to set up (no mismatches with mod/track versions, badly made mods, ...) and you're happy with the price (it's still a lot less expensive than some other hobbies) iRacing might suit... if you want the flexibility, can handle the (slight) hassle with rFactor, don't mind looking into config files to get it working the way you want, keep up to date with releases, then rFactor might suit.

Laguna Seca above is a good example - a well made track for rFactor, so it compares favourably with iRacing's. We all know probably half the tracks made for rFactor aren't top-shelf, and probably we race on them anyway, and in the end if we're doing it we obviously don't care all that much.

Some people will only like one, some the other, and some will happily have and use both... what's the big deal?

14. michael1

michael1 Banned

15. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

The deal is there seems an obsession about running down other products on a given sim racing forum and this "you are either with us or against us" kind of mentality amongst some posters. I was trying to get across that there are many people who enjoy multiple products and don't feel compelled to use a product forum as a soapbox for bashing what other people enjoy. We can be positive about a product without having to prove it by rubbishing everything else.

Curious thing is that the people that moan about discussing certain products seem to be the ones who bring it up every other post.

Forums can be constructive and help developers get a feel for what the customers would like to see developed. If someone reckons that feature X from product Y is really cool and there is a consensus then the developers get valuable input. If the poster gets set upon for mentioning product Y as blaspheming then that input is lost.

FWIW in the product that cannot be mentioned a group of us cited rFactor as having the best three monitor support with its independent rendered views and this was added to the development list and implemented.

I think it is important to give genuinely constructive feedback on something than some kind of canned response. For example if in a discussion about driver views someone asks "what do we think about the Shift 2 helmet camera - a cool feature or a gimmick?". We give a constructive opinion rather than "anything with NFS in the title must be crap".

16. michael1

michael1 Banned

[/

17. Hazze

Hazze Registered

I think that is an easy question to answer Iracing is the best sim today if we are talking realistic sim. Are we talking fun factor, cost, ability to race and so on, maybe there are other sim that are better. But if you want the best realistic driving it is Iracing. I have Race07 and I have tried LFS I have also tested the trial for rFactor and you can’t really compare those with Iracing.

18. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

That's the issue: what do you meant by 'realism'.

If for you only FF sensations counts then yes - ir is the best.
    But in other cases, what has it better than old ISI engine based sims?
    - tyre physics? - no. It has too much grip when stand still. It has too less grip on low speeds. It has too much grip with high speeds (confirmed by iR team). It contained no tyre wear/warn while released.
    - breaks physics - no. there is no breaks wear or even break performance to temperature relation
    - engine physics - no. There is no engine overheating or so
    - suspension physics? - no. Check videos, how Jetta or C6R behaves on bumps/curbs. Both those cars swaying like witohut dumpers at all. Check video of C6R starting from stand still. Their 'ass' almost touches a tarmac.
    - graphics? - no. It has static texture based graphics like NR2003. No dynamic shadows, no day transition. No rain. No night... yes. No night. Night are only other textures and lower ambient light
    - damage? - nothing special. You cannot loose a wheel. You cannot loose a wing. I know suspension may be damaged/bend
    - real data reference - it is changing from update to update... significantly. There is no reference.

I could list more features missing when iR went to be sell already. But it really doesn't matter. iR is not the best sim. It is quite good attempt to be very good sim in future.

But trying to be right-minded I have to say that rFactor with its great engine looses when connected with bad mods. Unfortunately.. in most cases cars from rf mods are not even close to reality. We are not able to make references. Let's say, two or even three modding teams create GT cars mods. You will check all mods and find that you have to handle the same car in different way in each mod. Then you will check physics files and find really mess and data taken from nowhere. Just fantasy. That's real weakness of rFactor.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011
  19. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

On the other hand you have mods like HistoriX, Formula Armaroli, CTDP 2006, Toyota Supra, Vette C6, Legends Cars, GP79, etc that are freaking amazing... :)

20. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I still think My setup with certain mods feels more realistic then iRacing. I mean that was the FFB I aimed at besting.