rFactor 2 Developer Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RMayfield

RMayfield Registered

Or better yet, have pre-race shakedowns. The cars go out on track a little bit before the start, but cant go on the front straight because of the festivities happening on the grid (you drive-through the pit lane to do another lap)

It could be an option to have 'quick' pre-race stuff such as the 1-5 mins of time, or a Full race-style morning where the server gets locked down with 30 minutes until the race-start to have all of the pre-race preparations.

Although this may be all but a dream, Could you shed some light on the subject please, Tim?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011
  2. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I mentioned this months ago on the wishlist thread but I will reiterate..

REALISTIC CARBURETOR SIMULATION

No point in making vintage tracks with vintage cars and calling it a simulator if you don't need to pump the gas to start it and fuel mixture and choke aren't bound analog hotkeys!

3. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

That is already in rF 1 - recon lap. Just set late pit closure (like 120 seconds before start of the race) and a good few minutes where the pits are open.
    For example, in real FIA GT4 series, pits are opened for 5 minutes and then another 5 minutes when they are closed and you have that time to set yourself on the grid.... and then you have formation lap with flying start.

1 person likes this.
  4. olex

olex Registered

Will rfactor2 have an new or an overhauled Replay-System (that you can access during the session)?

regards

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Can't confirm access during the session. It used to be that the main reason why devs allowed instant replay was because hard drives were too small to record the whole race for later viewing.

In any case, the replay system is being done now, primarily by the same person who did the tire model.

6. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

@Tim: It is called Tiremodell ;).

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

No idea on that, but another good follow-up question. :)

These are things we will wait to answer.

More likely it was feeding the wheel after spin or something.

No.

I do. But I can't say you'll feel the same. I can catch slides, control slides, all the things you expect to be able to do when you can properly feel the car. With most simulations I have felt like it was track, jelly, tire. I do feel more connected with rF2.

Can't confirm rule implementation yet.

I don't believe so.

Small improvement (see the Q&A) for initial release, probably more later. It's about priorities and time, not difficulty.

A lot of graphical elements were produced before the new tire model, but with the new model in mind. This was done because there was a different person working on each and one couldn't wait for the other. The effects are still being tied into the new model, so can't give info yet.

When graphics are more final for screenshots, etc, most likely.

Should is different to will. Everything is working as it "should", but those may not be working as it "will".

We have Formula ISI, which should give you this experience. But we are working hard for more... As I said in an answer above it's often not about difficulty, it's about priorities at that moment and time.

8. Marek Lesniak

Good point Tim! :)

So...
    Just out of curiosity. Which settings does not affect a car in rF 1 as supposed to? :)

9. tjg_marantz

tjg_marantz Registered

Not sure this has been asked before.

Will you open up the ballast to more than 255 kgs? Perhaps to 2000 just so that the upper limit is really up there.

With 255 kgs, we're looking at 4% slower with the P2 Porsche in the ILMS mod. Just not enough IMHO. :)

Thanks

10. Marek Lesniak

255kg in not enough? Wow, maybe you have picked up wrong class (like LMP2 vs GT1)? ;)

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Or change the mod you are using. Looks like a crap if differences are really as you said ;)

12. Adam Gutowski

Adam Gutowski Registered

If you race in Trucks Series or Bus than 255kg might be not enough :]

13. tjg_marantz

tjg_marantz Registered

Regardless if the comments above, the question stands. Since I am sure it's just a parameter to change for max ballast, it would be nice.

Thank you.

14. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Will rFactor 2 feature a Fail-to-Qualify system that will automatically keep drivers from racing if they don't qualify? Like if they don't make the top X fastest qualifying times.

15. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

I have a question too for that. Will we be able to drive all tracks we have installed like in rFactor 1 or depends that of the mod itself?

16. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

One more, with the new trackside animations will pitboards be possible? Obviously a low priority but would be great for imersing ourselves, specifically in the older series.

17. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

We have talked about pitboards, and we definitely want to do them--it will PROBABLY not make the initial release, but I can't say for certain yet.

As for the packaging system, we will give out more information on that once the format is final for release and we know exactly what baseline features it will and won't have. It will probably SEEM a bit limiting at first (again, depending on what makes the initial release), but we will be expanding on it post-release (word according to Gjon :) ). The idea for the release is to at least get a stable system in place that accomplishes our two primary goals--no online mismatches and no cheating due to local file changes. Once we get that then we can build on it to accommodate the various special case needs that mod teams and leagues may require.

We know that rF's strength is the ability to mod it. We'll probably have to ask for a bit of patience for rF2 as we start with a solid base and then expand it outwards into a more robust system. Again, it really all depends on what we have time to finalize for release. That said, I, Lo, and Luc will be around (as well as ISI support) to assist mod teams and leagues in doing what they want/need within the confines of whatever system we offer initially. And of course we'll be working with the community post-release to figure out in which directions we need to take the packaging system to achieve specific goals.

Again though, our main goal is to get people in to online sessions and racing without having to worry about if they have exactly the same files as what's on the server. If it's on your server list, and no mismatch is detected, then you know you can join that server and start racing.Once we accomplish that then we can make the system more robust and fluid.

With that in mind, let me take a minute to talk about the various community wishlist items. We have gotten SO MANY great ideas from the community--items that we'd already thought of as well as many that we hadn't. I know for certain that not everyone's idea is going to be implemented on the first go--there is just no way to do EVERYTHING that EVERYONE wants. Let's face it, at some point we need to lock down rF2 and get it out to you all. I hope this doesn't disappoint people, but I'm sure it will some. Again, just keep in mind that, like rF1, rF2 is not a short-term title. We will continue to expand and refine it and hopefully give it the same legs that the original had.

I think what we'll have when we release is a title that offers new features that take the racing environment to a new, deeper, richer level; and hopefully will give you an idea of the many possible ways we can expand on it from there...

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thanks Scott for that, looks to me as though you/ISI are going to expand more on RF2 than you did with rF1, lets hope so anyway!

Tim adding to my earlier Wet AI query for a later answer heres another one! Do AI have different Driving styles? i.e., turning later or earlier into corners, braking earlier or later, that sorta thing, ta

19. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

This won't affect view/camera file changes I hope. Unless rF2 has a spectacular setup wizard *cough* http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/F12Bwth2/Forums/rF2MonitorSetup3.png and the ability to adjust the seat 200% of current, Plus some lateral side to side adjustment.

Or the original wishlist item - the ability to tweak and modify each car's view in-game (which you can do currently with freelook and cam keys) and the ability to save it on a per-car basis (preferably in a folder other than the mod's so backup of multiple adjustments is easier)

Engine and Tire modification.. Lock it down.

QUICK NOTE.. Any word on the usability of "all cars all tracks" because the system is flawed/broken in rF1 and multi-class races would be so much more fun.

20. satrain18

satrain18 Registered

Michigan also:

Also, can we change the number of parade laps before the start of the race?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.