rFactor 2 Developer Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Good question RMayfield. I would like to add to this, will it possible to define different brake pad characteristics (braking efficency but also wear) and beeing able to choose them in the garage.

Are there any improvements to the network code, so that we could have a stable races with 50-60 and even more drivers (some of us are dreaming about VLN events with over 100 cars :D )?
    EDIT: I mean, is Tim's "up to 64 most likely" a stable limit or is it possible to have more online drivers?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2011
  2. dragon

dragon Registered

I have a question regarding the safety car? Any information?

3. sg333

sg333 Registered

1970's stock car racing

Can you please elaborate; will this be just cars or an entire series, with era tracks, etc?

4. Team Dano

Team Dano Registered

Will there be a game save feature?

5. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

Are you working on a more efficient and simpler system for detecting and penalizing corner cutting*?
    *i.e. gaining advantage in position or time by leaving the track. The current AIW 'corridor'-based method doesn't seem to be used by modders with anything like the necessary precision.

6. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

Probably just cars to start with--this one isn't 100% certain yet as it was just recently added.

7. simfan

simfan Registered

Hi Tim

Will there be new interesting TV cameras during replays and graphics effects such as depth of field, color filters and so on?
    Such effects can make replays, more spectacular, especially depth of field.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2011
  8. SqueakyBrother

SqueakyBrother Registered

Hi guys, Absolutely stoked about this game can't wait for it... I'm champing at the bit.. Thanks heaps for all the info,screens and video's luvin it....

Are there plans to incorporate the use of the Motec telemetry program (like the data acquisition plug-in for rFactor) with the title or make use of the old f1 challenge telemetry program (although it has to be outdated by now)?

Also I'm not sure if your familiar with the spotter plugin that was developed for rFactor, This was a major improvement to rFactor and my personal racing satisfaction. having a more detailed 'chief' letting me know whats going on around me and with the car is invaluable in my opinion. Have you made any improvements in this area to provide more detail to drivers like they do in real racing??

Cheers for your time

9. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Thanks for the replies. :D
    The new tire model seems to be amazing. :cool:

We can share our skins when to get into a server?

10. adelossantos

adelossantos Registered

I run on a real endurance league (ilms-erl.com) where we have races of 12 hours, 8 hours 6 hours, etc.. all with driver swapping.. i hope there will be something like "reconnect" capability for this kind of races.

Also, a request that most admins have it's: Linux native server, so we don't have to pay hundreds of dollars to host or league servers on windows.

Thanks guys.

11. mac56

mac56 Registered

Very good .. I thought so!

@Gera: I'm not mistaken :p:p

12. doggod

doggod Registered

Will a recording of a race also record the changing tire contact patch for reviewing afterwards
    both in vid format like you showed and output to motec for those who know to to use it(Ill need the vid)
    For those of us with 2 screens would it be possible to move the stuff like contact patch lap times etc
    on to the second screen.
    Thanks for the info , looking froward to more when ye have time

13. mac56

mac56 Registered

I agree! :D

14. satrain18

satrain18 Registered

I want to know if rF2 will have garage and pit stop adjustable wheel stagger, which is essential for oval racing, and three-wide starts on certain tracks?
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2011
  15. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Stagger isn't always adjustable. It depends on the tire type, race series rule etc.

16. Bill Malicoat

Bill Malicoat Registered

This can be done in RF1 already. You can set the tire radius for each tire in the tbc files. It is up to the modder to incorporate it into the mod. One issue is it does get messy though when you have tire staggers and different compounds as well.

17. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

In the garage, you can only select front/rear tyres. To change each separately, you have to do it during a pitstop. Of course I assume you want more than one option to select from (so more than one compound per wheel).

18. satrain18

satrain18 Registered

I'm talking about it being adjustable in the garage AND during pit stops, where each driver can have their own independent stagger setup instead of all having the same one.

That can be determined by the mod itself. CART (Indycar) 1995 by iDT and CART Factor (1998) by RLD are two examples, as CART does allow the use of driver-specified stagger adjustments.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2011
  19. Bill Malicoat

Bill Malicoat Registered

All you have to do is make the rear tires tell you the amount of stagger you want, it can be done in the garage no issue. We do it on our dirt oval mods. When you select the rear tires in the garage there are many options for stagger. Pit stops work the same, except you would have to know what you are doing cause in our mod the only tire size that changes is the LR, so during a pitstop you select the correct stagger you want with the LR during the pit stop.

20. JTninja

JTninja Registered

This is the same series that Mr. Mayfield and myself run in.

It is our goal to reflect the multiclass endurance racing that occurs at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and the racing series like the American Le Mans Series (ALMS). The mod features at least 5 different cars in 3 different classes, all fighthing for their individual class win while racing alongside the traffic of faster and slower classes of cars. We've been able to run races anywhere from 4 to 12 hours, and usually have at least 15-25 cars still running by the time the race is over. Due to many of the rF multiplayer issues that happen when too many cars on the server, we limit the field to 40 cars. Because of the length of the races, teams must have 3-5 drivers for the race. This means around 100 people at some point or another during a race join the server. Naturally, we see more issues that we'd care for, but its a blast and worth it. We're looking forward to continuing in rF2. (If you need a bunch of people to test server stress for max cars or lots of driver swaps, im sure our league could easily help with that ;) )

As Ryan said, one of the issues most common is the ability to repair a car. Brake failures happen in real world endurance racing. The pit crews are able to replace the blown rotors or pads in a matter of minutes. As Ryan said, this year at the 12 Hours of Sebring, Audi Sport had to replace half of their rear suspension, and did so in 15 minutes. This isnt uncommon, as usually someone is doing at one point or another at the 24 Hours of Le Mans (Corvette, BMW, Audi last year as exs). Teams can also repair certain parts of the engine. rFactor current doesnt allow for these repairs, but we're hoping rF2 will help with this issue.

Something else that would be great would be a better pace car/safety car. The current (or outdated) safety car is sometime unpredictable, randomly brakes or accelerates, etc. We'd love to see one that properly picks up the leader, and directs cars that are being wave'd around. Have there been any upgrades to the safety car?

Any chance for a flatbed? Say theres a broken car on track and cant return to the pits. Can it be sent back (with a time penalty) to be worked on, and eventually return to the track to race?

For the multi-class updates, while driving will we be able to know what position we are in class? Lets say im driving in a slower class, and 17th overall, it would be great to know where I am class wise, like 4th, something in the HUD.

Temp. Cars. Ive heard that theres a fix for rF1, but havent found it. A thing that bugs me is when im on track in practice, and a new person joins the server, I have to exit the track to load their car. If I dont, and they pull alongside on track, they're a big gray box. Will this happen in rF2?

We're very glad to hear that you guys are working on the possibility of being able to rejoin a race while the race is live. We would love this feature. Nothing hurts more than working 3 weeks on a setup and pace, only to have a sudden disconnect or error while 4 hours into a 8 hour race. If we would be able to come back, even several laps down or after a time penalty to re-enter the track, it would get so great.

We're looking forward to many changes, especially the weather and tires updates. Cant wait to see the final results ourselves! Thanks for your time

JT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.