Date of release

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DriverN1, Mar 1, 2011.

1. V6_

V6_ Registered

You don't have to take part in the comments, or even read them. The comments don't represent any views of the author or website and you putting them in the same boat is unfair.

2. WiX

WiX Registered

Forgive me for saying, but have you looked at some of the posts in here? Try to give some constructive criticisme here ... You will notice there will be no difference between here and there. :)

3. fastorro

fastorro Registered

Aren´t there program for betatesters as much others games¿?

4. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I recall there be talking of a ~50% chance of release before Christmas 2010. Was that really the case?

I've been involved in software development for military aircraft so can understand how development can slip, but I'd have thought that if developers were inkling with a release date then they'd be relatively close and there wouldn't be any 'major slippage' problems. The 3 month period past this 50% chance date seems to indicate there have been some serious unforeseen problems arising, unless it was just to arouse interest in the game.

5. kidrocket

kidrocket Registered

If thats the case then its not working. Im actually getting less interested in this game and more insterested in other sim games. Hope they do something soon havnt seen or heard any updates in months.

6. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Don't worry, SimBin recently announced a dozen or so of new content for Race07 so it looks like we won't see GTR3 soon. nKPro is getting stronger but not that much yet... and iRacing has its own path so I guess there's no reason to rush for ISI ;)

7. beatnik

beatnik Registered

STCC The Game 2, comes out in a few days.

8. Adam Gutowski

Adam Gutowski Registered

But this is just an addon for race07

9. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

It's STCC The Another Mod from SimBin

10. beatnik

beatnik Registered

A mod I don't mind paying for. Top notch stuff.

11. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Yeah I guess you could call STCC 2 a mod :rolleyes: I'll gladly pay for a licensed product done by PROFESSIONALS. The formula RR comes out FREE tomorrow and 15 new cars and a bunch of tracks with STCC2 for 12 bucks next week. I've always loved simbin. Lately they've been doing it right as well. They have not been saying a word of what they've been doing until a few weeks of releasing something.

I have to admit if rF2 isn't out in 2011 I will definately lose interest.

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Untill its released and you will run to the store and buy it......

13. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

LOL....yeah you're probably right. :D

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

What updates is it that you would be expecting? As an example, you are not going to get a release date until you can have one (see below). You're not going to get a pre-release trailer or screenshot of the final (or near final) quality of the software until you can have one. Those are both items that have to wait until things are closer. But you've had the WIP screens and info as and when it has been possible, most recently 2/18/2011 with a screenshot of a new car. While you may not have been interested in that, it was an update, it was something unknown before, no? :) Just nine days before that new car I also posted some screens of a massive feature, the tire wear model. Another update, no? :)

With regards the release date, "less than 50%" means unlikely. As a literal percentage anything below 50% is usually not going to happen, but there was a chance. This percentage was absolutely correct. If it is a release date update you are wanting, well threads like this one may tell you why it may be less likely now for us to estimate. It may be better for us to wait until that percentage is much higher before giving any of that information because we know the threads and comments on sites would only be worse.

15. xTr3me

xTr3me Registered

When the percentage of a possible release 2010 is just a little less than 50% most people expect at least a Q1 2011 release, I think. In terms of updates: I would really like to finally see some race action on track or a status report ;)

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

My next thing to try to do, was to get some video footage from a race session showing the tire damage recently shown on screenshots. It's had a bit more work done on it now so it's maybe closer to video status. I'll see if I can get it from a race.

I'll see if I can get some kind of status update. Not sure on that one though as I know any info like that can be a double edged sword. :)

17. xTr3me

xTr3me Registered

nice, looking forward to it ;)

18. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Nice! :cool:

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

What about the Q&A? (see the News item thread!!)

Whilst there have been updates recently they are sparse and weeks apart (as you say 18th Feb for the last one), to me that says you/ISI are no where near completion and I suspect updates will become more frequent nearer release? (more screens/vids/details etc)

Afterall you need to start building the hype for an imminent release so that you have mass attention, especially as rF1 was/is well recieved I presume it wont be a "Hey guys RF2 is out in 2 weeks" kinda thing? would be crazy marketing if that was the case :p

20. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Tim, your efforts are greatly appreciated especially this whole forum setup and insight into the development stages of the software, it's an excellent pro-active idea.

As you pointed out, hinting at potential release dates or status updates can be a double edged sword. As the consumer, it's nice to know that things are progressing but also painful because it is a teaser as well. I liken us consumers to be little children waiting for our presents at Christmas only to be told they've moved Christmas from December 25 to June 25 the following year lol

From my experience, I'd think you'd be quite certain of a release date within at least a month before the release. I suppose the bigger question for your development team is 'at what percentage completeness are you happy to release the product' and 'what features/bugs are you willing to hold off until a later update' (if you do intend to produce an update). It all depends on your software philosophy of sticking to a static milestone or allowing slippage to the right.

Anyway, good luck with your development and hope to hear some positive outcomes soon.