rFactor 2 WIP Drying line video time lapse

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Feb 6, 2011.

1. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

I think if the reflections on track was more "curved" or "twisted" (I don't know the English word for it) the visual would be more convincent. Watter puddles don't reflect the objects as a glass mirror, they deform the images. I don't know if it's possible without complex coding and, at the end, it's not a doomsday.

Anyway, less "vertical" rain would be nice, maybe random angles changing at ease. Same case above.

I'm happy those aspects are not visual only but affect the track physics as well. And, I know, ISI guys are excited about Sepang track but would be nice see other tracks as examples for WIP.

2. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yes and no - water is water. As long as there is no wind and no raindrops it has a perfectly flat surface and therefore perfecly sharp and straight reflections.

Only when water layer is very thin it will stick to surface rather than fill holes, and then you start to get deformed reflection up to the point where it gets very blurry. In this case we have just a wet road rather than water on road.

Back on the topic of wet road effect. Someone mentioned GP4 and I think one thing is worth pointing out. No matter how realistic (or not) wet road will look like - the most important thing is for the driver to be able to "read" it's surface with his eyes.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2011
  3. CiuppiTrulli

CiuppiTrulli Registered

This is ok :)
    I think only must reduce reflections.... when I am on board I will not see a car above and one below in front of me :p

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yup. I would also add that rain does actually fall straight down naturally. Wind direction can change it, but horizontal rain is actually not that common. :)

5. WiX

WiX Registered

I am sure its not a myth Tim. I would be so for average gfx , but when we talk next gen, i am sure the CPU would have its work. I guess it all depends on what one calls high end. If you push the GFX to far , the botleneck will be the CPU, not the GPU. And how do we define a threshold for the physics. I would think a compomise would be the best, but then again. boundaries exist to be broken ;-) keep up the good work.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I don't think it was a myth, but I do think it is these days. You have many games written and only utilizing one CPU, for example. That could make the CPU a bottleneck, absolutely, but not if you use the hardware properly.

7. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I'm no computer expert but from what I understand gaming developers are taking advantage of multi core processors so one processor or perhaps two can be dedicated strictly for physics calculations. Of course it's quite possible I have no idea what I'm talking about and am talking out of my arse.

8. beatnik

beatnik Registered

That is the beauty of life. We can be confident in the fact we may not know...but we try. =) I just let others worry about that and then hope my computer can do the job hah.

9. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

No, if you push GFX too far, the bottleneck will be GPU memory speed.
    That's also why console games run so smooth - they're in low resolution comparing to PC standards and therefore have a lot less pixels to render. Another reason is that console GPU's don't have much memory, so textures are smaller and that too saves a lot of memory bandwidth.

Actually, Shader Model 4.0 GPU's are capable of rendering large portions of scene without the help of CPU.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2011
  10. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Great video Tim!!!!! thanks! :)

11. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

Looks very promising, thanks for posting.

12. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I really hope you guys push my Sandy Bridge. It could use a workout.

13. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

Of course, but unfortunately, those conditions are only obtainable in a Laboratory. What you have mostly in a track surface are wind, raindrops and small irregularities due tarmac porosity.
    Look at Codemasters F1-2010 puddles to get my point. That game is horrible, but the visual effects are very clever.

Same above. Please notice that I’m not moaning. I’m seeing great evolutions from RF1 and surely it would be my favourite racing title based in what I’ve saw so far.

Keep going!

14. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

You can often see a lake with perfectly flat water surface - all it takes is windless weather - so it's not just in laboratory.
    What I'm saying is that whenever reflection is distorted - it must be for a reason, not "just because". So water reflection gets distorted / blurry because either raindrops, wind or car passing by. But in this movie, after rain stops pouring, we have neither of these, so at this point reflection should be sharp as it is.

As for tarmac porosity - it cannoct affect water surface if water layer is thick enough. Water will simply fill all the gaps and remain flat at surface. It can only occur when water layer is very thin - at this point water stickness will play it's part.

As for Codemasters - their water puddles can be seen all over the track, even in Eau Rogue at Spa, which is impossible in reality :)

15. AUS-mONKEy

AUS-mONKEy Registered

Looks great ISI :)

16. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello
    Well first I think it is awesome and realize it is not final but if it was I think I could live with it and be very happy.

So to all at ISI awesome and thank you
    As someone said you are making it harder and harder to wait for this.

Ruben M.

17. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Interesting, I'm impatient to see with car on track !!

18. 3377

3377 Registered

Wow! It's worth the wait! Keep it up!

19. Nor

Nor Registered

First I want to congratulate ISI for the great video you made. It's allmost perfect, if you keep in mind some of my previous speekers suggestions, to lower the degree of reflection at full wet conditions, would be great.

I don't want go go to far in the optics but I think most peaple do not know what they are talking about. I'm afraid of the smattering of some guys here who commenting this video.

You'll never get total reflection if the light coming from a optical less dense medium (air) strikes into an optically dense medium (water). Thus always most part of light gets lost, due to diffuse reflections on phase water-tarmac and total backreflection on phase water-air.

I can confirm, if water layer is thick enough, there should appear a smooth reflection image,
    but in most cases the water layer isn't thick enough. So the wettabillity of tarmac (you call it water stickness) plays a role, this effect causes a diffuse reflection image.

So ISI please make the reflection more diffuse, and then we'll be happy with what we get. Keep up your exellent work.

best regards Norbert

20. Nor

Nor Registered

First I want to congratulate ISI for the great video you made. It's allmost perfect, if you keep in mind some of my previous speekers suggestions, to lower the degree of reflection at full wet conditions, would be great.

I don't want go go to far in the optics but I think most peaple do not know what they are talking about. But I'm afraid of the smattering of some guys here who commenting this video.

You'll never get total reflection if the light coming from a optical less dense medium (air) strikes into an optically dense medium (water). Thus always most part of light gets lost, due to diffuse reflections on phase water-tarmac and total backreflection on phase water-air.

I can confirm, if water layer is thick enough, there should appear a smooth reflection image,
    but in most cases the water layer isn't thick enough. So the wettabillity of tarmac (you call it water stickness) plays a role, this effect causes a diffuse reflection image.

So ISI please make the reflection more diffuse, and then we'll be happy with what we get.

best regards Norbert