New GPU

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by killdrums, Jan 23, 2011.

1. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

Well rF2 is a directX9 game, so I doubt the system requirements will be much higher then what they are now.

2. killdrums

killdrums Registered

its says on my rfactor config that my 9800 gt is 1gig but in my comp system information its says 512mg....I thought my card was a 1 gig vid card.(how do I find out)

3. killdrums

killdrums Registered

with no cars on the track and everything but shadows and special effects turned to max i get well over 110fps.But add in cars and a diff track(yas marina for example)and fps goes to almost nill.:(

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Operating system allocates some part of RAM memory as video memory. That's why rf shows 1GB.
    You can change it using some tweaking software

5. mianiak

mianiak Registered

That's your cpu causing that.

6. mikeward

mikeward Registered

if you do buy a new system dont waste money on the i7 get the i5 2500k it as good as the i7 and cheaper. i got a new system yesterday with one and got all on max with a gtx460 (dont need anything more powerful at moment) and getting 600fps

7. killdrums

killdrums Registered

Heard of an i7 2600(sandy bridge)but not an i5 2600k

8. Uff

Uff Registered

There are i7 2600K and i5 2500K: the latter is a very good choice too!

9. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

Yes, those new sandy bridge cpus do you like for the price. Again though no need to go over board if all you do is play rFactor.

10. Uff

Uff Registered

They will be useful for rF2, by the way: ISI said it will take advantage from a multicore CPU, so it would definitely be a good choice. :)

11. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Thats not true!
    I can render 1 triangles with 2 million fps in dx9.
    or i can render 2 billion triangles with 2 fps in dx9.

rf1 is not using all features of dx9, rf2 will use some more.
    I agree that dx10/11 is modern and nice, but that would also close the doors for a lot of possible good racers out there.
    The focus is still on the realism i think, and yeah rf2 will look much better than rf1, even without dx10/11.

12. MarcusarilliuS_IRL

MarcusarilliuS_IRL Registered

Just got some new components but still waiting for some more to put my new rig together.

i7-2700k which I will clock to 4.8-5ghz
    EK HF nickel plexi cpu block
    Asus P8Z68 deluxe/gene3
    16gb corsair dominator 1600mhz 7-8-8-24
    Corsair HX850w psu
    Corsair 600T case

Gonna get 2 corsair 120GB Force Series 3 SATA 6Gb/s SSD's in Raid0 for OS, progs and games.

In the process of getting the parts for my external water loop at the moment.

Gonna wait for Kepler cards as the word is hopefully march so will get 1 or maybe 2 670ti's as 1 is supposed to outperform a gxt580 so should be nice upgrade from my current EVGA GTX280hc16 :)

Regarding graphics cards I'd advise everyone entertaining getting something now to wait a few weeks for Kepler.

13. 007700887

007700887 Registered

I5 2500K and the I7 2600K are the best CPUs on the market for gaming value (the fastest being one of the 6 core 3000 series sandy bridge beasts). But going for one of the 3000 series is really not worth it for the small boost over their 4 core brothers.

Intel is the way to go for gaming as the CPU is concerned, and there may be argument from the AMD boys, but AMD will stop making Consumer CPU's and focus on mobile and server CPUS (Which they are very good at), because AMD Bulldozer made some huge losses for the company (Good at the very scarce multi threaded programs but bad at few threaded things like gaming etc.)

But the main thing for gaming is the GPU, you could have an amazing system with a terrible GPU and the game would lag like crazy.
    For GPU's you REALLY don't need to wait for Kepler as they are for hardcore bench-marking gamers and will cost a lot of money, output a load of noise and draw a lot of power. All you need for a GPU is a GTX 560ti or a HD6870/6950 and you will be able to play all games on the market on full settings and it won't hurt your wallet as much.

As for RAM, 4gb is sufficient for gaming, but you may want to get 8 if you video edit or use 3D design programes.

For storage: Get an SSD for an OS drive with space for your favourite games if you want, and a HDD for your large files and programmes.

Cooling: I'd stay on air with the I5 2500K and I7 2600K unless you want to extreme overclock it!

14. MarcusarilliuS_IRL

Keplers launch card is supposed to be the 670ti, set to replace the 570 in price and outperform a 580 so I think it is well worth the wait. Why buy a card when it's on the verge of being completely outclassed.

They are not just for hardcore benchers, they are just the new line of cards from nvidia. That's like saying the 5 series was just for hardcore users when the 4 series was the current card.
    The launch kepler card is actually the midrange priced one, the top end ones will prob be q3 of this year and will replace the 580 and 590 price wise, maybe more.

They should draw less power and create less heat as they are on a lower nanometer process, 28nm down from 40nm on the current 5 series cards. Smaller nm = less power draw and less heat.

Regarding noise, They shouldn't make anymore noise than the current series cards, maybe even less as lower nm. If they are too loud for you then just watercool them and they are silent and never go above 50-60 degrees, depending on your cooling setup :)

All depends on what settings you are happy to settle for in games.
    Personally I like to max everything and run@1080 with a reasonable amount of AA, so a 560 just won't cut it.

If it's just rfactor you're playing and are happy to leave some settings off then fine, if you play other games and want the latest pretties on maximum then I'd advise waiting a month. Kepler seems like best bang for the price really.

If 1 of them outperforms a gtx580 for 300-400 euros, then it's a no brainer.
    Then if you want even more bang just get 2 and sli them :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2012
  15. 007700887

007700887 Registered

Why pay 300 euros on a release date on a card with no consumer benchmarks or reviews which for all we know could be terrible, when you could buy a fully working card which can keep modern games at bay for at least 2 years for a third of the price? You know how many people waited for bulldozer and regret it? Anway its just my opinion :p

16. MarcusarilliuS_IRL

You are right about seeing some benches first of course.

I'll wait to see some reviews for sure before I buy, but 300 for card is not a problem really.
    I usually buy the pre watercooled ones that set me back 700-800 each, so 300 is fine.

I'd normally get whatever the evga prewatercooled one is but they only watercool the flagship cards which will be sept/oct release, so don't wanna wait that long, so will get 2 midrange ones and hope EK or XPSC get some full cover waterblocks out soon after release.

17. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

For those of you wanting to buy or wait for the next gen cards from AMD and NVIDIA, look hard at this one spec: PCIe 3.0. You may be looking at a new PC or motherboard to support it.

18. MarcusarilliuS_IRL

No they are backwardly compatible, you can run 3 on a 2 etc. Also you need ivybridge to use the full 3.0 bandwidth.
    The 3.0 cards though will work on any current 2.0 board. Anyway no cards out yet even use the full 2.0 bandwidth.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2012
  19. Bty

Bty Registered

Yap, no need to worry for PCIe 3.0 bandwidth ATM. Maybe in a couple of years.