Laser scanned tracks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CordellCahill, Jan 18, 2011.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

What's being suggested is simply never going to happen, even if a legal route could be found, it just would never get approval or be possible.

The tool legality could be argued, but nobody wants to go down that road IMHO and I don't think it really should be pushed to find out...

Just to correct on that one, I don't think tracks were ever an issue. Someone might not have been happy and expressed that, but nothing track related ever went legal as far as I'm aware.

2. michael1

michael1 Banned

ok will all tracks laser, maped or from a brochure ;) that are on rfactor work on rfactor 2 or will they need editing?

an all this talk on iracing what is good about iracing it cost me about 60pound for a weeks racing we do not want rfactor to go like this you cant race because you need to buy a 12pound track every week to keep up with them then you buy it an its not used again for ages i payed 12pound for a 2009 f1 car i only got 1 williams not the full grid i only ever race f1 cars an some gt's so for me iracing is rubbish when i can drive 2011 cars on rfactor i would rather pay 150/200pound in 1 go for rfactor 2 an watch all the iracing drivers crawl back to rfactor leauges

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2011
  3. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

LOL, I thought 'when Hell freezes over' sounded a bit soon. :)

4. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

I don't really care about all the bumps.. if the track has bumps they can be added,
    mostly i care about accurate elevations, corners, and curbing, then all the eye candy to compleate it.

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Do you know a track without bumps at all?

6. michael1

michael1 Banned

7. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

OK. Maybe this is one which doesn't need laser scanning ;)
    But are you sure it is as flat as window glass?

8. michael1

michael1 Banned

lol ;) yes it is

9. michael1

michael1 Banned

Dear michael leeson,

Thank you for being a member of iRacing.com – we hope you are enjoying the racing and getting the most out of your subscription. We want to remind you that your three month membership will auto-renew shortly. If you would like to continue your membership you don’t need to do anything*. If you would like to save some money you can take advantage of our longer term memberships which offer substantial savings.

<!--[if !supportLists]-->· <!--[endif]-->Renew for 2-years for only $179

<!--[if !supportLists]-->· <!--[endif]-->Renew for 1-year for only $99

Our 2-year membership at $179 offers the best value. With an average of only $7.46 per month it offers significant savings over a month-to-month membership.

As you already know, iRacing is continually improving our service. We’ll be rolling out some new features and content in the coming months so keep your eyes open for announcements on the member site home page and on inRacingNews.com.

See you on the track!

look at this ye i played it 3 times plenty of use i got this today from iracing they already have had about 200 of me for tracks an cars that will be useless the game is disabled if i dont pay more an if i never cheak my email they would have just taken more its nothing but a con an this bit "We’ll be rolling out some new features and content" is in every email they send an still nothing new

10. Lyon

Lyon Registered

It's hardly a con, you have to pay a subscription to use the service and more on additional content if you wish, of course they would renew your account. I don't know how you managed to spend £200 before you realised you disliked the service. Yeah it's pricey if you want all the content, but it's not like it isn't spelled out for you in black and white.

They also DO roll out new features and content on a regular basis. Sometimes it's a big old wad of content, sometimes it's smaller improvements to the service.

You get what you pay for, I don't see how they could do it any differently. rF2 will be a different kind of beast with a different kind of price tag.

11. beatnik

beatnik Registered

Also Michael, you can turn off Auto-Renewal in your account settings. As Lyon said, they aren't hiding or trying to hide anything from anyone when it comes to support or billing.

12. theother5

theother5 Registered

The tracks for me are important to be as realistic as possible ...... real world is not necessary at all.

With Tire wear, weather and the already great physics and tuning offerings of rFactor franchise, enuring the quality of the tracks available to drive on are up to a standard will be vital to th ongoing success of the franchise.

It really is about the total solution at the end of the day!

Regarding 'to be newly created' tracks for rF2 specifically;

1) Track width, run off, gravel traps, turns and straights, pits entry, exit, lights and startline marking have to be as accurate as the real world and there's no reason this cannot be achieved

2) Road surface has to provide feel and not be uniform. However, divergence from actual real work track feel is acceptable. [because my only reference is the public road !!!]

3) Grip characteristics of certain tracks or turns will only be noticable by those few who have driven the track or turn in question in a real motor [subject to the weather conditions and time of day].

Put another way, the vast majority of simmers won't know the difference! I suggest we can learn to live without knowing it also if #2 above is nailed.

Exceptions to this point may well exist and where appropriate should be designed in. However, the resolution of track or turn characteristics has a limitiation in simulation.

4) Laser scanned sounds great but I fear it's more nice to have rather then necessary. Great tracks can be acheived without laser scanning.

5) If a modder has created a track which makes me smile when I drive, I am willing to forego my next beer, pizza or whatever and make a donation if the modder has facilated a donations link.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
  13. michael1

michael1 Banned

yes but if you get 1000s of email's you miss it anyway, i stick with rfactor has cost me about 30quid in 2 years.

14. juls

juls Registered

All sims work the same way: there are two meshes. The rendered one (visual mesh), and the mesh used for physics calculation (physics mesh).

It works like this not only for track, but for cars too... for example, the visual mesh often have a different suspension geometry than the physics mesh...ride height is offset a few centimeters to avoid a part of the bumper entering the ground when the car takes roll. It makes no difference in handling because physics are calculated from the physics mesh. If I am right, rFactor 1 engine uses as physical track mesh the visual mesh+some file defining periodic bumps (you know the waves you feel on long straight lines).

The only way to have laser scanned tracks is to have a physics engine able to handle very big physical track mesh....with a special format allowing very quick search: given wheel position and speed, the engine gives you very quickly the ground profile the wheel will encounter in the next 1/100th of a second.

Will rFactor 2 engine has such capabilities?

What is interesting with tiny track bumps is that it makes the car turn (yaw) and require more action from the driver to keep the good trajectory. As a result, there is even more room for progression.