rFactor 2 WIP Reflections External Screenshots

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shum94

shum94 Registered

So the third screenshot where the track side is quiet empty (which can happen) with poor texturing of the security barriers, poor polygon count on the white structure and a sky quiet not thrilling is satisfying for you.
    And if i'm not satisfied with it, i should buy a crappy game with crappy physics ?

Fanboys are amazing...

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Maybe people just have different opinions than you? You are asking people to accept your opinion, isn't it fair to do the same? We read everything, there's really no need for you guys to push down each others opinion, just enjoy discussion.

3. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Yeah looking very nice, the 1st shot for me with the granstand show a fair improvemnt over RF1 IMO, nice sharp looking graphics.

Shum - You do seem to come across as having a bit of a chip on your shoulder tbh and are too quick to dismiss every new shot. I think the right time to air your views like that will be with the finished product and not WIP shots. Not sure if it's a language thing that your posts come across like they do? or they really do annoy you that much but honestly give the guys a break and i'm sure the finished product will be just what your after.

Post is not meant in a bad way btw.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Very cool guys although I found a problem....the Door texture is upside down in screenshot #2 :D hehe!

as for Shum its quite obvious what these screenshots are for (reflections!) yet he choses to find fault with (lets face it) everything else. He was the same on the old RSC forums, some people are just negative for a living I think and when they dont like the response they get we're called "Fanboys"....well get me a t-shirt as I'm 100% an ISI Fanboy ;)

anyway thats enough troll feeding, again very cool stuff ISI keep at it :)

5. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

Haha, nice find!:D

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Guys, we should probably just 'chill'. :) The same way I'm asking Shum to accept you means you also have to try to accept him. I understand negative comments always seem to stir more emotive answers than positive ones, but please everyone do your best. :) At this point we still want to hear what Shum has to say really, if he does happen to spot something which isn't WIP we'll actually probably be quite grateful. ;) The only real issue comes from when one of you pushes down the opinion of someone else.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Apologies Tim!

Back on subject, this is probably too much for RF2 and probably pointless....but along with real-time reflections how about real-time animated reflections? flags/crowds/clouds etc etc on the cars. Immensly CPU/GPU intensive for sure.....would be amazing though!

8. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

The type of object makes no difference, if it is tagged to reflect, animated or otherwise, it will reflect :) It really just depends on how much FPS you want to allot to the reflections. I can't really set specific limits yet because all the features aren't in. Once they are, and we can say for sure that these are the features we will ship with, then I can go back and say I have X, and only X, number of resources to give to this one specific feature--if that makes sense...

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah that makes sense thanks Scott, Can I also presume there will be more options to tinker graphics settings in RF2 than rF1? or would that in itself involve too much work?

10. sg333

sg333 Registered

I think the options should be there for super-max-ultra-high settings for everything for those who want to have them, even if it ends up requiring to tinker with some files, but i dont like the idea of dumbing down the quality or features just to please the 'average' users PC. Keep in mind rF1 is still being used by most of us with far, far superior PC equipment than was available when it was originally released

11. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

I hope you don't hate me, but I have to say that I am not really in love with this Screens.

Compare these Screens with Ferrari Virtual Academy. There are superb Reflections and the Shaders looks much better on the cars.

And the Shadows below the Spoiler are really to low res

But it is WIP so I'll wait how it will look in the Final rFactor 2 Version

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More here: http://www.ferrarivirtualacademy.com/game/en/immagini.jsp

12. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Great FVA screens there mate, awesome! I think we may get that sort of look with rFactor2 once all the postFX are added to the game. The actual graphics themselves right now are quite artisty ( is that even a word? ) and lack the punch that those FVA screens have due to the use of what looks like HDR? but very clean looking graphics in them FVA shots and very impressive

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Are you sure that there is any post processing effect on those screens (except of antialiasing)?

ISI shows lores effects, with beta ver of shaders for some reason. That's why it looks ugly comparing to another final products.
    Hope they are know that correct shading (don't mix this therm with shadows) is most important thing to make scene looks realistic. For example depending on shaders scene does look more or less cartoon-like.
    HDR, bloom, Field of Depth are only some additions which must work with correct basis.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2010
  14. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Yes you may be right actually and they just seem punchy because of the hight contrast look it has then?

15. sg333

sg333 Registered

Its hard to judge what the finished product will look like; we are told here that this is just an example of the new reflections, and truthfully while they look fantastic the rest of the scene looks straight from rF1. But again, without knowing what else is or isnt enabled makes it hard to judge. Its not going to look like GT5, i think we all know that.

Some constructive criticism: the Corvette looks quite unfinished in general, particularly the wheel arches and mirrors in the pit lane view. Maybe this is also a WIP, but it looks lower quality than say, the cars from the Enduracers mod where everything is very nicely round

edit: i think this is 'poly count' or something?

16. afborro

afborro Registered

In all fairness, it depends on your end goals what you can afford, ISI try to make a product to support many cars on tracks all at once whilst maintaining performance on a fairly wide range of hardware.

I have seen some shots of that Ferrari in wire frame, while it is beautful, it is very high poly indeed, not only that, but with one car you have a lot more freedom to push the envelope to get better shader and lighting effects, frame rate in FVA is not that high considering it is one car and has fairly basic standard track/environment lighting.

Most likely, put twenty of those ferraris in that platform and it will probably run at 5 FPS.

17. 10speed

10speed Registered

In my opinion ISI should not sacrifice the level of detail to lower the system requirements. I don't suppose there will be a yearly schedule for the next version (like other publishers stick to) but instead we maybe have to wait another 5 or 6 years for the next rfactor version. So the graphics engine will be used for quite a long time and should not look old from the beginning.
    Regarding the screenshots for sure some things are still missing or should (and will) be improved but at least you can get an idea of what the rfactor2 graphics engine is about. I don't pay much attention to the model of the car as there are several mods for rfactor which are just as good as the ones used in NfS Shift or F1 2010 (AE86, Enduracers e.g.). Hopefully the lighting will be further improved as it is the key to make car paintwork look real.
    Is the jitter in picture 3 s.th. we will have to live with in the release version? Untitled-1.jpg

18. AndyCTDP

AndyCTDP Registered

The realtime reflections are looking very nice. But in order to pick up 6e66o's Ferrari and Lamborghini screenshots, will there be the "right" shader for the reflections as well? I mean in rF1 we could adjust the strength simply within the shader from 0-100% or using a texture. In reality (and also in MentalRay shaders for offline rendering) we can choose shaders where it depends on the camara projection/angle how much reflection you have on the car paint.

19. brumbrum

brumbrum Registered

ow come on...
    did you even read the title?
    it's purely about showing reflections. And considering this is still (G)WIP, yes the REFLECTIONS are quite satisfying to me.

Trolls are amazing...

20. mianiak

mianiak Registered

It would be good to have 3 settings for animations, reflect off, reflect on and reflect static.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.