rFactor 2 WIP Reflections Cockpit Screenshot

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Nov 2, 2010.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The driver here is trying to point out the car body reflections we've been working on. ;)

reflections.jpg

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Looking great chaps, couple of questions:

Presume it does the same for the Moon? If so do we get Full Moon/Half Moon, New Moon etc? ;)

Are these reflections on Drivers car only or All cars on track? i.e. could you see the suns reflection in the rear window of the car infront? (should the sun be behind you obviously!)

Would we get brighter reflections depending on the car body part the Sun reflects off? i.e. not all soft reflections but sharp "Eye-Blinding" reflections like the sun reflecting off a metal part? or would that be too CPU/GPU intensive?

Keep up the good work :)

EDIT:

Additional question - do drivers Fingers press buttons should you press "Call For Pit" button on your wheel for example?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2010
  3. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

That looks awesome.

4. shum94

shum94 Registered

I hope the grass texture is a place holder...

Looks ok in the car cokpit area / field of view.
    Top of left building and sky arent looking great or bad. I'd be curious to know the resolutions of the textures for these two.

Aliasing is present wich i dont understand why

An outside shot would have been more intresting to show reflections but i guess ISI always communicate in a weird way.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2010
  5. erale

erale Registered

I don't get it. A picture to show us the realtime reflections?

Also: why do you still use normalmaps to create the bodylines instead of modelling them?

6. Luka K.

Luka K. Registered

thx for showing us the realtime reflections. really hard to see the quality from this perspective but it looks really nice ;)

7. Aaron Carlisle

Aaron Carlisle Registered

I guess you can do better? Trolls gonna troll I guess.

Anyways, it's looking great so far guys. Thanks for sharing another W.I.P. screenshot w/ us!

8. 88mphTim

It's always nice to see where you'll be doing your work as a driver, too. :)

9. 88mphTim

It's all good. I don't think I'm going to explain what WIP means many more times though, the repetition hurts my typing fingers. :)

10. Uff

Uff Registered

It's great to finally see those grandstands reflected on the car!

11. henri200

henri200 Registered

Seems like Formula IS :).

12. Uff

Uff Registered

But the steering wheel reminds me of CTDP McLaren. :)

13. shum94

shum94 Registered

WIP doesnt excuse bad choice of snapshot...

Reflections = show us a car with outside view cam.

14. cosm1

cosm1 Registered

Looks impressive! I see moving fingers? Pit limiter, engine map etc..?

15. cosm1

cosm1 Registered

man, you are really serious??

16. jonelsorel

jonelsorel Registered

Absolutely and seriously stunning work, guys!

@ shum94: you really are, deliberately or not, capable of ruining any man's working mood with that kind of comments. You are further establishing yourself as a caricature through your comments here. Please do learn to read before attempting to write..

17. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I believe he is.
    And I'm not surprised about it. We are counting days to release for about 2 years already. Just check how GT5 pictures/videos looked like a few months ago. So we all waiting for state of the art screenshots and such ones don't full-fill our expectations.

Additionally this screenshot even if looks nice, has some issues making it unreal.

Of course I believe rF2 will be the best one on the market. I'm just trying to explain why someones react in such way. It's just about patience going over.

18. 88mphTim

Unfortunately though the alternative to seeing WIP screens while software is in development is seeing nothing. So I think it's probably pretty important to understand the shots are WIP and/or to understand sometimes there's reasons for a particular angle or car/track. If we were further away from release and were showing you a wireframe or something I get the feeling less people would complain about use of the term WIP and that just seems weird. :)

An example is that we have a historical track that I made a video of a lap (two laps, actually). In the video there are clearly visible issues with (what I call) popup of detail. This issue isn't fixed yet. But, this track is my favorite historical track, it's a mecca for racing fans and honestly I'm itching to show it off even though it's WIP. So, what do I do? Bearing in mind that this isn't so much marketing as it is communication with customers, of course...

19. Pashalis Gergis

Pashalis Gergis Registered

Nice 1 guys , keep it up ! ;)

20. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Well, we are people, not robots - logical thinking isn't in our nature - it's a skill that people develop more or less :)

Yup. Perhaps it would be best to explain it once - in first post of a separate topic just for WIP material, and allow only ISI staff to post there?
    I mean - what kind of comment can possibly user post under WIP screenshot, anyway? "Thanks for posting" ? :)

Not knowing which features on screenshots are final, which are temporary, and which are currently disabled / not impemented yet, there is just no way to post any valuable feedback. Just look at the screen and enjoy :)