Mobile forum support?

Discussion in 'Forum Problems' started by Denstjiro, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Hello

I was wondering if it was possible to implement mobile forum support on these forums?
    More and more people access forums through their mobiles so it would make sence i think.

For example Tapatalk is a great app. supporting Android, iPhone, Nokia & Blackberry.
    Its extremely easy to install on the forums, all you need is a small 1MB upload to the root and a tiny alteration in one of the files to make it work.

Set it up on Tapatalk using a forum owner account and presto, ISI is now part of a growing mobile community :)

Users would have two options. the free readonly app. and the payed app with which they can login/post/pm/upload from camera etc. (about 2 euro's for the payed app for the user)

Pretty cool if u ask me. and no, i'm not affiliated with Tapatalk hehe, i just figured i'de give abit of info hoping it would be pursuading enough :)

Anyways: http://www.tapatalk.com/
    i just checked, the version of this board is supported.

Cheerio!

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I browse here on my iPhone using Safari. Anybody who wants plain text should use the archive link at the bottom right:
    http://isiforums.net/f/archive/index.php

I'm not honestly that impressed with Tapatalk, I actually find it easier to browse forums on Safari. Have you tried Safari here yet?

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I'm using the Dolphin browser on my Android Galaxy s. prolly the same view i am getting as you.

But the archive is readonly is it? you cannot login to the forum, goto Archive and post stuff let alone using archive as a bookmark and post stuff.

No biggy though Tim, if it was available i would use it quite allot i think but if no avail, no harm done either :)

There are probably custom apps available created for vbulletin alone but as a webmaster myself i would want to avoid these things as they are are often unstable and might even be a risk.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Dolphin HD Broswer on Android (HTC Desire Froyo update 2.2) aswell and it works just fine for me without any need for other Apps.

5. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

I use opera mini on my Wildfire, has a much smaller screen than the Galaxy S and get by fine ;)

I tried using Tapatalk initially elsewhere didn't really like it.

6. 88mphTim

Yes, archive is read only, but if your device can't support the forum as-is, you would have a hard time posting anyway IMHO. ;)

I might try seeking out (or just build myself) a simple working style that you can select for a mobile device.

7. 88mphTim

Yeah I kinda felt like asking for my money back for that app... lol

8. 88mphTim

vBulletin 409 was released today and brings in their mobile API. This means you should see a slew of vBulletin apps for devices. The developers are launching their own iPhone app, I suspect someone will make an Android one pretty quick.

9. Polish Prince

Polish Prince Registered

TapaTalk has come a lonnnng way. Any chance of making these boards compatible?

10. DocJones

DocJones Registered

+1

I would really appreciate it if the ISI forum supported tapatalk. Since it isn't too big of a deal to set it up, please give users the choice to use the browser or their tapatalk app to browse the forums on their mobile devices. Now would be the time to set it up, there's quite a lot of reading to come I guess.

11. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

Opera Mini works great with Android as posted above

12. DocJones

DocJones Registered

WebOS user, one of the few. ;) Anyways, the webOS browser does a good job, pretty much the same as Opera Mini on Android that I tried on a friend's mobile today. The forum is browsable with both of them. But in my opinion tapatalk is way more convenient, not having to zoom, scroll and whatnot... Long story short, I can live without it, but I'd really appreciate having it. Any chance, Tim?

13. hendrixlebt

hendrixlebt Registered

+1
    I would also really appreciate it if the ISI forum supported tapatalk.

14. 88mphTim

Not saying no yet. :) Bigger fish though at the moment. There's a number of things I want to do with the forum eventually.

15. taufikp

taufikp Registered

I was just about to ask for mobile version, and then I found this thread. So... when? :D

16. 88mphTim

There is now a mobile style available for selection at the bottom left, and our forum can also be found on Tapatalk.

17. 88mphTim

Quick test.

18. 88mphTim

19. CheeseSandwich

CheeseSandwich Registered

Works great. Thanks for the mobile support.

20. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Thanks, Tim.