Rfactor2 Rankings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Willie, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Willie

Willie Registered

It would be nice to create some sort of ranking list of different rfactor2 mods or mods to come by default in the future simulator.
    So we could see where we are in this classification best lap times, the style of iRacing.

I think that would give a lot of play, as many people (myself included) will want to be as high as possible, and see who will be the world's best driver in rfacto2.

Nor is whether this is in your hands, but it would be great.

What do you think?

Greetings!

2. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Ranks make people desprate, they will cheat to be up the ranks and give a false illusion of being better than someone else.

IMO its a bad idea.

3. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

+1 Please no Ranking/Stats Whatever

4. The Stig

The Stig Registered

Agreed, no leaderboards please. Or at least an option to not participate in them.

5. mantazzo

mantazzo Registered

Maybe that's a good idea, but... First, we need a very good anti-cheat system. Second, we need a system, that could track your best lap, then it can say like'' 10 seconds lap for this track? That's impossible, cheater!'' if someone cheats with lap times and it will not let send best lap time info. Something like that. And Third, what do you think about TMF ranking system in rFactor 2? First place in multiplayer gets most XP points and so on... What do you think?

6. prunn

prunn Registered

+1 bad idea ppl will spend days on rfactor2 just trying to get more and more xp points
    ... WOW.factor

7. lespaul20

lespaul20 Registered

And what would be wrong with that? If a ranking system was implemented it would be complete ridiculous to base it on one parameter. I'm not familiar with other ranking systems but how can players cheat if it's based on more than seat time or lap times?

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I think a career or ranks/stats option for Offline racing would be cool

9. Loucypher88

Loucypher88 Registered

Somebody will alway's find a way around the system, It's human nature

10. mantazzo

mantazzo Registered

yeah, but it should be quite hard to find that way around :)

11. hoover

hoover Registered

Hi folks,

Uwe here from rF Rank (http://rfactor.gplrank.info/). I'm willing to adapt the site for rF2, and while we only have a couple of thousand racers over there, it's not exactly a number to frown at. Any ideas on wether the CCH file format will remain the same, or will it include info on what driving aids were used, what the weather conditions were and so on?

Cheating is a non-issue for me, I simply add those folks I know as honest, reliable folks to my buddy list and forget about the rest (removing the occasional obvious warp lap from the ranks, of course).

uwe

12. migf1

migf1 Registered

A robust ranking system is an excellent idea, opening up the potential to attract even more people to rf2.

However, it requires lots of work and resources in order not only to implement it, but to also keep it alive after launching it. As mentioned above, it also needs a very good anti-cheat algorithm (updated constantly) and it works best in a heavily moderated environment regarding modding (through a master server, I guess). The perfect examples here are LFS World and iRacing of course, which are both very (very) successful, but require constant updating.

I believe mods was the reason Race Cast didn't make it in rFactor. As soon as mods started flowing around freely, it was naturally impossible for Race Cast to keep up with them.

On the other hand, a hotlap uploading rank would be much easier to get implemented I guess, providing a good anti-cheat algorithm is utilized and mods get moderated by ISI themselves (or someone assigned by ISI). It could be a good starting point (Ferrari Virtual Academy is exactly that after all :eek:) with potential for further expansion to full blown ranks & stats services, such as LFS World and iRacing's Leaderboards.

I don't know though how easy or hard this is, if it was not taken into account from the early designing stages. Hotlap uploading shouldn't be a big of a problem, but a full blown ranks & stats service for both offline & online, I don't know.

It would be way too cool though :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010
  13. Screenpaparazzi

Screenpaparazzi Registered

Pro Leaderboard

Cheater or Speedbugger always set impossible Laptimes.
    Everyone could see this then.

Where is the Problem?
    We need a temporäry LeaderBoard Administration who delate impossible Laptimes and offcourse a serios HotlapCommunitie who "cleaned up themself".

Its kiddish to say a generell NO to a Leaderboard.
    Thats the totally wrong way.

We need a subjective System where suspected Laptimes are Under Investigation.
    A decent PN to the Driver..some clearing Words..and im sure we get a serios Leaderboard.
    If a pubertäry Cheater maybe need this Kind of "Egoshooting", if he read his "Name" on the Top of the List..then ignore him.
    Just ignore him and Life goes on..

PRO-Leaderboard..Defenetly yes!:eek:
    Holger

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
  14. migf1

migf1 Registered

A possible solution here would be that every lap-time comes mandatory along with a replay file, available to everyone for watching it and potentially reporting it (I'm obviously talking about hotlap ranks only). Instead of submitting the career file, one could submit just the replay of his best laptime and the software on the server end would be able to extract all the necessary info from within the replay file and rank it appropriately into the rankings-list (along with a link to download the replay file and another link for reporting it). That of course requires that replay files are designed to contain all the necessary info.

However, moderating such a hotlap leader-board could become pretty tedious, especially if people keep reporting bad hotlaps all the time. So, it would be best if rf2 was invalidating bad laps (with shortcutting, tweaked cars, etc) the very moment they are produced inside the sim, thus making them unacceptable during the uploading procedure.

If I'm not mistaken, in rf1 the areas of the track that trigger invalidation of the lap are specified inside the track itself, leaving it entirely up to the track developer. If so, and if the same applies to rf2, there could be a centralized, moderated white-list of good tracks (those that do not allow shortcutting) which can be used in the leader-boards.

All those sound nice and fit inside a couple of paragraphs, but code-wise they are not that simple to get implemented. Especially if the software was not initially designed with such things in mind. For online leader-boards things may become even more nasty, since lap-invalidation rules cannot easily get applied in an online race (for example, it could end prematurely the race of a driver just because he was thrown into a "restricted" area of the track after a racing incident with a competitor).

In any case, it would be nice to hear some thoughts about those stuff from the devs themselves. Is anything like that planned even as a distant possibility in rf2?

15. Cris_Ace

Cris_Ace Registered

+1 for NO OFFICIAL online ranking.

maybe some unofficial lists coul be nice,but I think nothing supported directly by ISI.

16. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

If it can be done then why not put it in there. To simply say NO just because you don't think it is possible is crazy. I personally enjoy hotlap competitions. I have been fairly active at posting my laptimes over at rF-Rank. I even wrote a program to automate the process and make the process a little more transparent to end users making it a little less obvious where the data comes from. It would be incredibly easy to cheat your times over at rF-Rank but as far as I can tell it rarely happens. Who knows, maybe Uwe deletes hundreds of laps everyday. But I doubt he would be that dedicated for this many years. I bet there are a lot of people that think that if someone is 2 secs a lap faster then them then they must be cheating. I have felt that way from time to time but later improved my own times and retracted my accusations. I think ISI could make a cheat proof system that allows for replays to be stored. I also hope cut detection is improved in rF. They do it successfully in iRacing, why couldn't ISI.

I am all for a leader board. If you don't want to use it then don't. I enjoy rF-Rank simply to get an idea of what a good laptime is for a track so I have some sort of target. I wrote my own hotlap tracker for my league. It is a great tool and the guys love it. It even stores replays so if you doubt a time you can download it and learn from it. But my tracker only tracks times that are done on our own server. So the only way to cheat it is to cut the track or use a RAM cheat. Our guys are gentlemen. They wouldn't cheat so it's not a problem.

BTW, thanks Uwe for your dedication over the years! I very much appreciate it.

17. lespaul20

lespaul20 Registered

+1 Noel. I'm having a problem imaging how/why it couldn't be done.

18. Bram

Bram Registered

If ISI still supports dedicated server output files we will be adding rfactor 2 to our ranking system the minute it comes out :)

19. hoover

hoover Registered

You're welcome Noel, thanks for the kind words. As I've said I think cheating is a non-issue if you use your buddy list wisely ;-)

If it's not too much work, I'll certainly extend rF Rank to rF2, but so far my questions have remained unanswered by ISI about any changes in the CCH file format.

All the best, Uwe

20. 4D!0z

4D!0z Registered

In my Opinion the Leaderbord is a "must have". I dont know how it is in the USA ;)...but in Europe are so many Crashnoobs...and that will not change, if there isnt a leaderbord. in 3-6 months, the Pro player can play private among themselves.
    And rFactor2 will be the standard for many years i think, so its very important to have a leaderbord for the future.

I imagine, that there are some Toplists, and 1 month after release all Top 5 get the Pro Status (for this Mod). The main function should be as follow: The pro players can recommend / Vote for each other.
    Now, these Players are in a 10 Race trial period, if they get no bad ratings, then they get the (next) Pro Status too.

I think the leaderbord cant help so much at the beginning, but a few months and u can play with pro player only. With leagues e.g., it will be easier to get this status and the hole leaderbord system would be secure. Then in rFactor now theres nothing and the game is so old and it becomes not better.

You can classify that in more ranks, because its different to understand the flaggs (elementary), or to drive 8 sek faster than many others.
    And cause of the very small circle of cheaters u could easily ban them from the server.

greetz from german Simracer who cant type english as well, i hope u understand this crap xDD :D;)

Benny

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2010