Why rFactor needs a well designed driver class/rating system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Taxi645, Oct 11, 2010.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The only way to really do this is for ISI to manage the races. If you want a ranking system, you need managed races. We're not going to do that. We want people to use the software how they want to use it, pretty much. I see nothing wrong with leagues (or large sites which do manage races) having their own ranking system, but this really isn't something you see in real life. If you want to promote someone due to performance, run more than one series in your league and promote them based on performance. You don't really need a ranking to see someone is good or bad... I didn't need to see a ranking for what Morbidelli did in the V8 Supercars last night. ;)

Infact, my 'dream' setup for sim racing is to have managers, team owners, etc. Team owners hiring drivers, drivers that wreck might cost their owners 'money' and all that good stuff. IMHO that's far more realistic a setup (being hired due to good driving, fired due to bad driving) than a ranking. If someone really put the work in, this would be an awesome direction.

Actually the only place I see rankings in real life are on NASCAR.com, and they're always wrong about who's going to win.

2. Tripp

Tripp Registered

I friend have idea when i see name and ping can it not also be possible see flag from the country driver comes from because server now ip from drivers. can it maybe be a addon in future ?

3. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

I myself have often wished for a management mode to the sim where the drivers in your team would be AI and all telemetry that is available to the driver in normal race mode would be available to you as the team manager. You would be able to see such things as tyre wear fuel consumption and engine temps etc, and be able to call your driver into the pits when needed. In free practice you could send your drivers out and tweak the setups to find any improvements. Rfactor is very close to being able to do that now so I am hoping these things will be included in rFactor2. With improvements in the AI we have been promised this would open up an entirely new life for offline enjoyment of rFactor.

4. 88mphTim

Do you mean show the flag in the server list? If so, I think the ping more important unless you are league racing? And then you wouldn't need it?

Also, IP ranges can be quite inaccurate for this kind of thing. They can sometimes only get you as close as 'Europe' and not down to the individual country.

5. 88mphTim

rF2 just for the racing. If you do want to try to simulate something like that, you'll have to do it. :)

6. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

But Why? The possibility and information is there already. It only needs an option to see the various dashboard readouts of the AI when in "manager mode" and the ability to call your own team drivers in to pit. In other words, you request a pitstop in the usuall way and your AI driver pits. Unfortunately I have no programming experience so I havent a hope of implementing this or even knowing how difficult it would be.

7. J.V

J.V Registered

In real life race drivers do get points for finishing races, driver who has most points at the end of the season is champion. It is ranking system.

8. 88mphTim

No, all the info isn't there... lol Your last sentence answers your first question on that though. :)

9. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

Sounds like you want a "Bspec mode" in rFactor 2, in GT5 it wasn't that great to be honest, expecially the early days when your bobs (Ai drivers) are very slow and they make lot of mistakes. If you want test and practice tunes without driving you can switch auto pilot ON and then bring it back to the garage when you finish the test. Once rFactor2 is released you should look for someone with decent programming skills interested on "Bspec", maybe adding a sort of GUI to control the AI driver, using the autopilot code, and automatically editing driver skills via talent file during his career. I'm just throwing some ideas in, I'm not very interested in bspec but other people could be, so good luck. Once rFactor 2 is out try to share your idea at rFactor Central or NoGrip there should be some some modders activity.

10. Hofstee

Hofstee Registered

I think it would be cool if we could create teams in an online race. As in have someone be in "manager mode" and see live timings and come up with the strategy while the other person races, and then [maybe] they switch or something. Roles are reversed, Person A gets a break from racing and instead watches timings and gives advice.

11. 88mphTim

In that case, you have the ranking system you want then. Right?

I don't personally agree that Michael Schumacher's 2011 ranking is accurate, however. Do you? That's why I don't think your system works so well. ;) You would need a LIFETIME system.

12. 88mphTim

It was done before by a big NASCAR league... Lots of work to get up and running but once they got it going it was great. They did involve money though and it got pretty serious eventually. ;)

13. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

You mean with fistfights like in the real thing? :)

14. 88mphTim

Verbal ones. ;) Just imagine the worst forum situation you've ever seen... lol Basically if you were a team owner, how would you feel if you felt someone didn't try hard with your money?

15. Gleidson

Gleidson Registered

It would be difficult to create a classification based on wins from a pilot?

Type in any race, depending on the position of the driver he will scoring points and each point level it will receive a color until you reach the bronze, silver and gold, these colors would appear in his name within the rFactor 2, I think it would be legal and you would know if he would be racing against an intermediate rider or have already won several races.

Points earned would be calculated according to the level of drivers on the track, it would be like that iRacing does, but does not need a rFactor2 management, the score can be recorded on the computer of the pilot.

If this has already been said, I have not read all the posts, sorry.

16. 88mphTim

Yes, it would.

For everything you setup, you have to setup limitations. You gave a win example... Which wins count? You can't have all wins count... What if they are the only person in the server? What if there's 9 drivers who do not start and the tenth wins? You not only have to program if person wins x give them x, you have to figure out every other possibility. And basically you're making a feature not many will use anyway. Any league admin can do this all VERY easily because they get the results and they know the real story of what happened in the race.

And no, that isn't how iRacing does it. Their system is incredibly complex. Wins give you no bonus, finishing ahead of others (with their ratings) does. It also punishes with a "no fault" system where both the person who caused a crash and a person who is a victim are found equal. Avoiding a crash by going on the grass isn't considered good, just less bad as you still get a penalty... They have many factors which factor into your rating, and that rating is totally at the mercy of those you race with.

17. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

Hey Tim, thanks for participating in this thread.

The things is one shouldn't make this rating super fluid where one incident messes up your whole rating. The rating should be very sticky based on miles and miles of driving. If you go on the grass, or get involved in a crash once a while doesn't matter. What matters that in the long run you are a serious, fair and safe driver and a well designed rating system would be able to reflect this.

Would it be complex? Sure it would. Would it work right from the start without beta tested? No of course not, but to me it would be worth the while and I would be willing to invest a lot of my free time in it. Personally I think rFracing had the right direction, but needed to be more integrated into the game, needed more sophisticated algorithms and a more sticky rating than didn't swing around all the way with every race or incident. However if the consensus is that it is not worth it, well than there is not much I can do.

18. peevee

peevee Registered

Reviving an ancient post here - but the need for us that are interested in rF2 to step up gear and develop a credible racing infra-structure and perhaps attract more 'pro' teams and drivers is upon us.
    I spotted this thread when searching for 'ratings' in an effort to see how an iRacing style rating, points and licensing system can be implmented....
    Came upon this post and I must say Tim's idea is one I never thought about - it would be cool to expand on this in terms of mechanics of developing a community based on team ownership and management as well as hire/fire drivers.
    Would be good to start discussing this concept and maybe by reviving this thread we might get the creative juice flowing among others who may feel the same way about taking this forward...