Rfactor 2 licences [poll]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sommergemuese, Oct 6, 2010.

?

Which Licensing do you want?

1. Trymedia

154 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. Steam

68 vote(s)
    22.8%
  3. CD-Key Check/Online activation (Securom)

59 vote(s)
    19.8%
  4. Another one...

17 vote(s)
    5.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I know this. User should have backup of partition to be able to restore previous state ;)
    But you don't try to understand my point. First of all some one must test new version. usually there will be thousands users who first downloading the game. After that (if tests failed) they must have possibility to go back to previous version. But it is not problems over. There are a lot of dummies in all communities which 'forget' to do things or just know better. I'm organizing racing seasons and must take into account as more issues as possible. So new system must be simply dummies-proof

2. Nanook

Nanook Registered

Hi there, I registered to this forum JUST to vote in this poll. Trymedia works well, never had an issue with it, Steam is a crock.

si thee.

3. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

I have had problems with Trymedia in the past.. had to wait 1 week for a new code..
    Steam never had a problem with, and the updates to a game are automatic when loading steam.
    plus this would be a better sales tactic to broaden the marketing of potential sales.

4. Alfie Pates

Alfie Pates Registered

I think trymedia would be best, not steam (apparently it has issues on some systems). I really think trymedia should do away with the 5 renews. Every time i update, i have to renew for some reason?!:confused: Anyway, yeah - Trymedia

5. wims

wims Registered

I have never had any issues with steam, its awesome imo, BUT in addition you really, really need to force people to log in to be able to play online, so server admins has the possibility of banning people by their license. Its 2010, an online game without the possibility of banning a person really is unheard of. Its not really crackable either if its done the correct way, at least not the online part and thats where the fun in simracing is.

BTW Trymedia is incredibly easy to crack, I dont think there's much protection at all in that system.

6. Siggs

Siggs Registered

Steam for me. Sure call me a fanboy, but I use the system daily and it's great. No more issues than any other distribution system, other than picky people's bickering, and Slim is right about broadening the audience. I'm sure Race07 and expansions got a little boost from that.

I've come across elitists who won't connect their simracing PC to the internet for total segregation (anyone remember AndrewJ on nogrip? ), but that's a very small minority I should think

7. Tripp

Tripp Registered

Steam is take to much cpu : to host more then 1 server on 2 pc we must buy more then 2 rfactor 2 games to host servers in future with steam : 1 game per server : rFactor2 if they are smart should do like iracing host own servers make no dedicated servers for the game not even LAN settings : then they get monthly pay from user that wanna race rfactor 2 : and on same time allowed paying drivers to download mods and tracks from a own server : not per track or mod but for users that pay per month or year :

8. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

no

9. wims

wims Registered

This doesnt make any sense. There is no reason why people would have to buy two licenses, or even a single one to run an rfactor2 server. Steam is just a distribution platform, nothing else. If ISI decides to include a server executable with the possibility of running multiple instances they could, and it would have nothing to do with steam

10. Tripp

Tripp Registered

yea thats what i try say steam is limit things and that it takes much cpu sucks also a dedicated rfactor server i host take 2 % cpu on my pc even when 12 drivers race just start steam up and drive gtr evolution takes 18 % from the game and 25% from steam test ctrl+alt+delete to see what cpu takes program for program

11. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

If you read the above discussion you would know that you would NOT have to host the servers through the steam community as many games available for purchase on steam use their own systems. Secondly, you CAN have multiple installs of a (non-source) steam game simply by copying out the games directory and running the EXE. I have tested this and it does work. ISI simply needs to design the game to work that way. Which if it is anything like rF1 should work fine.

12. Tripp

Tripp Registered

ok sounds great if that is possible then its just 1 thing left when use steam and that must be that it take so much % cpu that you need to have your game running smooth it feels like whne i have norton antivirus installed on my pc the norton slow down my pc and take over it in the end .

13. wims

wims Registered

Steam takes roughly 0% cpu here, I have no idea where you get that info that it takes "much % cpu" from, it is simply not true. Infact, I always run it in the background, as I have it set up to start when I start windows. I have a ton of games on it and all of them works flawlessly. Also get rid of norton its pretty bad.
    [​IMG]

14. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

No not steam.

15. tjg_marantz

tjg_marantz Registered

I love seeing the misinformation being spread around. I have no problem with anyone not liking platform X or licensing type Y but for the love of god, at least get your facts straight before posting this stuff.

16. Morlock

Morlock Registered

Agreed, a pay-per-play model would be the death of rFactor. The worst idea possible.

17. michael1

michael1 Banned

steam will mix all steam games i 1 file not good for adding mods is a pain to find files you are looking for

18. elwood

elwood Registered

I voted for Steam time ago.

By my side Steam is good for some aspects, security, updates and it's light. Plus, i've a ton of games on that plaform.

BUT

If rF2 will came as GTREvo, no, absolutely!

Expecially if you are a modder that execute the main application 10 times*hour, checking that everything is ok.
    For sure, the actual rF setup, is faster to launch, expecially if Vista-Win7 SuperFetch kicks-in.
    Trymedia still good, i've never had an issue, i like the LFS licensing sistem too.

19. Wizz

Wizz Registered

I agree with elwood above.

If rF2 comes with Steam, as GTR EVO did, then UNFORTUNATELY, I'll be looking else where for sim racing and that'd be a shame after 5-6 years of league racing with rFactor.

I've had nothing but problems with Steam over the years, I keep trying it every couple years and it's no different "If it's not crashing, the lag does it for you". I've done a few 90min broadcast races and to loose connection (through steam freezing or the screen going black) is very frustrating with tens of hours of practice and preperation gone, it's especially bad when it happens 10mins from the end, as it did on one occasion.

It's nothing to do with my machines either. I've got 3 different high end games machines which I've had built over the years, but still no luck with Steam running smoothly or hassle free on any of them. It still freezes and crashes. So, please please please ISI, NO Steam software.

Thanks in advance....(fingers crossed).

20. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD. People have not read the Q&A where it says they will be using their own digital distribution method.

And GTR Evo was screwed up by simbin not steam. They can choose how it gets installed and how much of the games content is left in the GCF. ArmA2 is a steam game and the entire game directory can be moved out of steam and the entire steam client can be uninstalled if you like.. Because Bohemia set it up that way.

Steam is not the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.