Dirt Racing Improvements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShawnB, Oct 6, 2010.

1. DWDDon

DWDDon Registered

Some excellant posts by everyone, would be great getting even half of what the dirt faithful is requesting.

Thanks
    Don Rarity
    DirtWorks Designs

2. woodn

woodn Registered

We could use a way to rank things....

Reply with your top 3 things you would like to see added/fixed in rF2. Once we get a bunch of replies, I will summarize into a list.

My hope is it will help the developers see what the Dirt Community wants and perhaps provide some direction to where they should spend their development time.

3. woodn

woodn Registered

Ill start...

1 dynamic track grips
    2 dynamic car adjustments (wings, shocks)
    3 dirt suspension

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2010
  4. Jamie D

Jamie D Registered

yea i would vote for dynamic track. a track that changes through the race seems to me like it would effect the racing the most. as far as the other things people have mentioned, im just not sure that it would make that much of a difference for the racing part of it. i will say that if you have a track that is changing as the race goes on it might be a good thing to have adjustable wings as you race.

1. dynamic track
    2. adjustable wing

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2010
  5. Major_Catastrophe

Major_Catastrophe Registered

Just to reiterate what rsmesler is asking, We can physically model a solid rear axle. Unfortunately we can only animate it as a two-half axle which can give odd results as a supposedly single piece splits into two, or a single axle doesn't line up with both wheels. Things like torsion arms don't rotate correctly in the animation so tend to get left un-animated.

A way to animate the suspension parts properly would be good. Maybe tie the graphical model to the physical model?

6. Major_Catastrophe

Major_Catastrophe Registered

my rankings for dirt requests would be

1. variable front suspension geometry
    2. dynamic track conditions (scriptable rain effects would just about cover this i.e. it rains but you don't see it = track gets slick)
    3. dynamic car adjustments
    4. Dirt event race structures "C Main, B Main, A Main, Feature etc"

7. rsmelser

rsmelser Registered

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
  8. SBS_Johniebs

SBS_Johniebs Registered

I'd have to say Shawn and Bill you hit it right on. Heck back in the Rat Bag days there was alot more adjustments to the cars than there is now days, I would think by now we would be way beond what Rat Bag did. I still race the old Rat Bag games, but also like the newer versions too. if Rfactor 2 can input alittle of Rat Bag into it wow! basicly they do in the sims Rfactor Pro. would love to get that to try out. :cool:

9. rsmelser

rsmelser Registered

This may have been covered somewhere else, but im gonna ask anyways, just curious if the crash physics(especially barrel rolls and flips) are gonna be better or the same, the crashes in rfactor are not usually very realistic looking, alot of times when the car flips on its top it just wants to slide forever,when in reality it should grab and barrrel roll a time or two depending on speed,we tried to think of a way to add grip or a invisible vert to the top of the car, but couldnt be done.
    n2k3 had some awesome crash physics and its quite old now, so surely you guys can get somthing going , i dont want to seem like im worried about realistic crashes when im supposed to be focused on racing, but it is a part of the sport, and would only make it all a little more realistic and that much better.
    Just wondering?

10. V20

V20 Registered

Agreed,and also with pretty much everyone else..would be awesome to see the track change throughout the night just like in real life and have a few bumps n humps form up in the track every now and then...

11. Mitch Harris

Mitch Harris Registered

+1,
    Crashes are a big part of racing aswell, especially in Dirt Track racing. In rFactor it seems to treat every terrain as asphalt, where in reality if the top of a car hit grass/dirt it would "digg in" and start to flip judging on momentum. In open wheel dirt track racing classes such as sprintcars or midgets, cars as light and nimble as these would flip very often, riding over wheels is one of the main reasons (which is possible in rFactor but due to the collision/contact system it is done very poorly, hopefully the updated collision physics in rF2 should fix that :D)

heres some video examples :).

Keep up the great work ISI!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
  12. V20

V20 Registered

13. Bryan Lebo

Bryan Lebo Registered

1. dynamic track grips
    2. cockpit adjustments (most importantly moving the wing while racing, shocks are not allowed most places anymore but we gotta be able to move our wing in the sprint cars while racing)
    3. realistic dirt suspension

14. Jux

Jux Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2010
  15. Andy Miller

Andy Miller Registered

Dynamic tracks
    Proper dirt car suspensions

i only say these two since they are probably the most important for all dirt mods and dont just cater to one car

16. Dalton Dietrich

Dalton Dietrich Registered

The Tear offs are a major thing too.

These tear-offs (tear-aways, etc) are similar to what the asphalt stock cars use on their windshields EXCEPT dirt track racing tearoffs mount directly to the helmet. They are pulled by the driver them selves when too much mud and clay is "piled up"

World of Outlaws 2002 for PS2 did this back then. Why can't it be done now? Just a customizable button.

Everything sounds great gentleman. As far as ShawnB said about having the ability to run heat races one after another so the track is the same as the end of the one before would be HUGE. BUT, i partially disagree with what he said about then having too restart weekend to run A Main. I think that there should be the ability to run the Consis (D,C,B Mains) and the A main after the heats as well. Some tracks will water the racing surface after heat races however most will not. Ruts are a key part as well.

17. Andy Miller

Andy Miller Registered

i think shawns main point was that the track shouldnt reset until you hit restart weekend...not restart race or restart warm up....restarting weekend for the a main was just an example...so you can restart weekend whenever you want to "water" the track...then if you dont restart weekend the track will remain in its constant progression through the heats - consis - mains

18. jdw206

jdw206 Registered

I agree with what has already been said. RF2 could be great for dirt racing with some of these suggestions.

19. Dalton Dietrich

Dalton Dietrich Registered

IM Wrong. Delete

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2010
  20. Aaron Carlisle

Aaron Carlisle Registered

Would be a very BIG negative. Please refrain from posting stuff like that when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.