Dirt Racing Improvements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShawnB, Oct 6, 2010.

1. ShawnB

ShawnB Registered

Hope to make this a general thread for ISI to see that Oval Dirt Racing is a big deal, and we are looking for some big improvements to rF2.

Suspensions: Soild Front Axel, 3link, 4link, Torque Arm Support, J-Bar Support.

Physics: Cockpit adjustable Wings (Like Brake-Bias but ability to move and adjust pitch of top wing like a Sprint Car).

Tire Model: rF1 is not very good at calculating Low PSI Tires like used in Dirt Racing. Your average Sprint Car, Big Block Modified and Dirt Latemodel, runs anywhere between 4-12PSI in rear tires. Also we need tires to gain grip when sliding sideways through a corner. We are just experimenting with getting this working in rF1, but I think rF2 needs to look into these issues a little more in-depth. Also having Tire Deformation would be great, as Dirt Cars really deform they're tires with the low PSI and the use of Beadlocks to keep the tire on the wheel.

Tracks: Tracks in dirt racing change constantly. Even after 5 laps of racing, the racing groove can move a few feet. We need this effect in rF2 with live grip changing tracks, where the track grip levels change based on where cars are racing. Also you get the cushion build-up on the outer part of the corners from clay being thrown of the tires.
    Better Night Lighting that doesn't kill FPS on these small ovals.
    A more reflective track surface at night, from when the track gets "watered" down before a feature race, the track has a reflection look to it. This would be great to see in rF2 as well in the shaders.

Will post more as I think of more things, but, hope to get the Dirt Community over here to add input, and show we are a big part of the ISI/rF community as well.

Thanks,
    Shawn Blankenhorn
    Open Header Motorsports

2. Bill Malicoat

Bill Malicoat Registered

I agree the dirt side of modding is really tough in RF1.

Modeling the correct suspension would be huge for dirt racing. Specifically being able to do watts link rear suspensions like a sprint car or a dirt modified as well as solid front suspensions. Better dirt tires would be the next improvement, along with this would be improving the way dirt tires work with heat and wear. Dirt tires need to build heat depending on the track conditions and where you are on the track along with tire spin. Currently tracks with a higher COF in the TDF will build more heat, this is backwards to real life unless the track is rubber-ed down. On a track that is wet with lots of grip the tires do not build heat quick at all, on the other had a track that is super slick and you get lots of tire spin will build heat much quicker.

Tracks can have the biggest effect in dirt racing imo. A truly dynamic track with a moving racing line would be the best upgrade in dirt racing in years. Along with what Shawn was saying about the shaders, the dirt track surface does not look good to me yet, the 2002 ratbag games looked way better. I have been searching for a few months someone that could make a shader to help with this but have had no luck so far.

The garage can be better suited for dirt as well with better ways to do the tires. Stagger and tire spacing is really important in dirt racing, and this is real cumbersome in RF1. Tire spacing has to be done as an upgrade now. And staggers just make the tire options with different compounds really confusing. I would like to see a tire choice be made for each corner of the car, so you could choose each tire independent. Along with tire spacing independent as well.

Hopefully dirt racing can be incorporated into RF2, I really believe there is a big market for it and can make true business since as well.

Bill Malicoat

Boz Racing
    www.bozracing.com

3. JeremyB

JeremyB Registered

Tires- would love to see the ability to run 4 different compounds straight out of the garage.

Improved Flag and Race Rules for oval racing. Double file restarts, Delaware starts, improve flag rules and adjustability for short track dirt oval racing.

Dirt Build-Up on Helmets and the need for tear-offs to clear vision, Dirt Build-Up on cars and in wheels to change balance or create a " shutter or shake" in handling.

I also agree with both post that the dirt tracks themselves is a major area for improvements. Dirt tracks need to change with with time of day, weather, the ability to "wet" the track down, and for the track to change depending on the ways the cars are running. Also the ability to make tracks with more than one grove that is competitive.

Hope to see this topic fill quickly and show that there is a large Dirt Oval Community in the Sims Racing World and a need for rFactor 2 to incorporate the true "Grass Roots" of racing into the much anticipated release.

Jeremy B
    Open Header Motorsports

4. HAR_SOLO

HAR_SOLO Registered

I could agree with Shawn or Bill more. Hope to see some major improvements on the Dirt Oval Side.

5. Peter

Peter Registered

I love dirt racing as well and I'm hoping a lot that dirt racing will become a bigger part of rF2. Snow and ice would be great also, together with rally type stages. But that's probably hoping for too much.

6. steve98x

steve98x Registered

would like to see dirt build up on the wall , and cars changes that are in real life. using real life shock and spring adjustments.

7. DJB12

DJB12 Registered

This is just a test

8. DWDDon

DWDDon Registered

The suspensions for us dirt fanatics is really huge for creating true dirt suspensions, also being able to change the track from tacky to slick in game would be a big help also. If the old outdated 2002 to present ratbag/big ant games can make the dirt track surfaces look somewhat like a dirt track should, then ISI should be able to make them look 100 times more realistic yet. Being able to run offline or host online a true saturday night dirt event, which consists of qualifying; trophy dashes; heats; B & C Features(Consys) then finishing with the A Feature(Main).

Thanks
    Don Rarity
    www.dirtworksdesigns.net

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

FYI Don the SPAM filter dislikes your posts because you are putting a link in every one. If you want a signature, set one up via the settings section. It accepts links there more readily.

Thanks,

Tim.

10. DWDDon

DWDDon Registered

Ahhhhhhhhh ok Tim, thanks for the heads up.

11. Shane

Shane Registered

I hope ISI knows what a huge community that dirt oval racing is. All of the modders and track makers out there right now could do unbelievable things if given the propper tools to work with. BOZ, OHM, DWD and all the others out there do great things with what they have now, I could only imagine if they were given what they are requesting and hoping for.

Thanks for everything.

Shane

12. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I think the off-road handling in rf2 is going to be improved already so this should just follow suit. Or at least have option open for development of modes that support everything you need.

13. ScottV

ScottV Registered

I agree with everything said, cockpit wing adjustments would be outstanding and maybe we could be able to actually move the wing fore, aft and angle in the garage, nose wing movement would be awesome aswell.

Track conditions change by week due to weather conditions, so if you choose to think of the weather as being hot and windy, the track would dry out fast, so it would be cool to see an option to change the surface conditions to dry after somany heats like at your local track running a full show, and then you could change it for the features to whichever you choose.

The moving cushion idea would be absolutely fanfrickintastic

14. drumbstick

drumbstick Registered

I agree with what you guys are saying about the track, for the stuff we do here in the UK we can get the tyre files to do pretty much what we want now, except for the heating however racing is just a one line affair and it stays like that forever. a movable groove that appears during a race would be the mecca for all dirt fans I think.

15. Jeffrey Rietveld

Jeffrey Rietveld Registered

I havent drivin dirt cars in rFactor that much. But when I drove them I had a lot of fun, so hopefully the modding will be a bit easier in rF2 to have more and even better dirt mods !

16. Mitch Harris

Mitch Harris Registered

Was it announced that that track wear overtime changes visualy as well as virtualy?

But some great points here, hopefully with animation being added into Rf2 we will see cockpit wing adjustments as well as some other things posted above possible :D

17. Jamie D

Jamie D Registered

yea looks like most have hit the nail on the head. i agree with all that has been said

18. RNR_C Beaver

RNR_C Beaver Registered

Love all the ideas and support anything that Bill and Shawn have to say in the matter as they are huge contributors to the dirt community. I started playing this game just for the dirt and thank all who have made such great mods and tracks and provided me with my favorite hobby. So how bout make it easier on them and put some of this stuff in the game beforehand. Please :)

19. Andy Miller

Andy Miller Registered

Ive been sitting here trying to come up with something, but Bill and Shawn pretty much covered everything we've come across and had problems doing in rf1. The only thing I can think of is, more interaction with the body and parts of the car and tires. Tire rub and punctures from body work being pushed into tires would be awesome too.

20. JustonR

JustonR Registered

I agree with what Shawn, Bill, and Andy said. I am learning track modeling for rFactor and hope that rFactor 2 will be a bit more streamlined in how the track making process goes.