Development Tools for Blender

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sancron, Oct 6, 2010.

1. RJ

RJ Registered

Bob,
    Thank you for being upfront. Okay, so, I have some further work to do, so be it. I am determined to do my own renderings by yiminy! Maybe some of what comes out of this thread will migrate over to the "Paintship Discussion" thread.

Cheers . . .
    RJ

2. Bob (Punko353)

Bob (Punko353) Registered

RJ,
    I am sorry I guess I missed your original thread about doing renders. I thought you were talking about using it for exporting models into rFactor. The best thing probably would have been to start a new thread rather than using this one which is about rFactor plugins for Blender.

To produce nice renders of cars will require you to use a good 3d program. I am not sure if there is any simple way to just do a render but with both 3DS and Blender you will need to know quite a bit about how each program uses lighting and reflections. Both will be a steep learning curve to get good results. You will also have to have a way to import the gmt files (the actual model) into the program so that will be yet another learning curve. I am sorry to say but what you want to do is actually pretty advanced stuff for someone just learning.

I suggest you start a new thread with an appropriate name like "Help doing Renders" or something to that effect.

Sorry for taking this thread off-topic... I should have read his first post and suggested it go in a new thread.

Bob

3. RJ

RJ Registered

Bob,
    No worries. If anything, I am the one responsible for hijacking this thread and to that, I apologize, gents. But, at least you confirmed my worst fear, namely the high intensity learning curve in the use of these programs. I'll start another thread on the subject as you suggested.

Cheers,
    RJ

4. Major_Catastrophe

Major_Catastrophe Registered

This is a quick render of one of my Blender car prior to texturing and lighting\shading etc. You can render in Blender, and there is some very good examples around, but the requirements are different to rFactor.

Rendering = high poly models + excruciating attention to lighting\shading\reflections + high pixel textures

rFactor = multi LOD meshes, low polies, rFactor (gmt) specific attention to lighting\reflections

I guess the answer is, once there is a gmt exporter for Blender, you will be able to make cars for rFactor and you will be able to use those same car models, in Blender, for rendering also. Right now you can render cars in Blender ( I am starting to sound like Dr Seuss! ) but you need to use another programme to get them into rFactor.
    View attachment 129

5. hoover

hoover Registered

While not modelling 3d actively myself, I would very much like to see generic / native Blender support for rF2. For modders, I think it's the perfect alternative to expensive commercial offerings. Thanks for considering this ISI!

6. SPONGEZILLA

SPONGEZILLA Registered

Support for Luxology Modo would be nice too. It has some great tools for modeling, texturing, and rendering and while not cheap... is still probably 1/5th the price of a 3D Studio Max license. Providing options for additional modeling programs might increase the flexibility of modelers to get into the game and provide their assets and skills. Blender = a great option but it shouldn't be the only option. The more options here, the merrier.

7. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

Yep best would be Plugins for all Big Apps:

C4D, 3DS Max, Maya, Modo, Blender and others maybe too

8. Malik

Malik Registered

This is correct, the student version is fairly in-expensive. Student version works the same as full licence, your just not supposed to use it for "comercial use". The info I got from Autodesk says commercial use is if you are making a profit . If you are just making cars and tracks for Rfactor that is considered training especially since no profit is made. Here is a Link to DL service that has 3Ds max.

http://www.softbuy-download.net/shop/search/?s=3ds

9. Malik

Malik Registered

Yes this is correct. I purchased student version 3ds max 9 for like $250 2 yrs ago works just the same as full licence as long as you do not use for "comercial use". Free tracks and cars on Rfactor is non-comercial. Here is a link to a site I have used a few times.

http://www.softbuy-download.net/shop/search/?s=3ds

10. Bob (Punko353)

Bob (Punko353) Registered

I would be very cautious about buying software from a seller that isn't authorized by the actual company, Most of the "on line" resellers that sell bulk software at suspiciously low prices are probably selling bootleg versions of it or worse they are a total scam.

This is the actual requirements from Autodesk to be be Student Reseller.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=3865760

I doubt very much that Autodesk sells student versions of any of their software for that kind of price. A $4,000 piece of software for $139? Probably not.

Just my 2c so take it for what it is worth. But like the saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't.

Or maybe I am just stupid for buying my version from an authorized dealer...

11. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

12. sancron

sancron Registered

Sorry i don't think so, i am not a Student and i think then it's not possible to get a Student Version.

13. Major_Catastrophe

Is there a file specification for the gmt file structure? This would be the first step to writing a python script to export Blender meshes. Zmodeller2 and 3dsimEd figured it out or were given it.

14. mianiak

mianiak Registered

If I was trying to write a gmt plugin for Blender (which I have no chance of doing), the first thing I'd do it try to understand the gmt importer script for max, but I don't know if that is an ethically correct thing to do. It does say that anyone is welcome to improve the script, but weather or not you are able to copy the info for Blender I am not sure about.

15. Traveller

Traveller Member

One decision to make is what version of Blender to support-- 2.49b, 2.5x/2.6 or both. The interface is different.

As far as the GMT format.... there is a thread in the ZModeler 2 forum that might be of some interest.

16. Major_Catastrophe

The export script will be a Python Script and should be Blender version independant.

17. Traveller

Traveller Member

I'm working on a GMT importer for Blender. My first step was to get a handle on the structure, which I believe I have done. I developed it in Delphi and I am now trying to recreate it in Python. My problem: 28 years or so experience with Delphi (Pascal); first ever work with Python. I'm missing something. Description of the problem:

In Delphi, I load the GMT file as an array of bytes. I use pointers to the various types of variables to read them from the array, e.g.:

Code:
    Function ReadSingle(Offset:Integer; Var FileOffset:Integer):Single;
    Var   Address:^Single;
    Begin
      Address:=@FileData[Offset+FileOffset];
      ReadSingle:=Address^;
      Inc(FileOffset,4);
    End;

The returned value is then plugged into the appropriate place in the record structures. I am as yet unsuccessful with this approach in Python-- reading of data from an arbitrary spot in a data structure. I am currently trying to use the bytearray type, with no success. My next try will be to try an array of bytes. If any of you code in Python and have a suggestion, I am open to it. I'm not quite getting the Python way of things.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2011
  18. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Traveller, your a legend mate! Have you tried blenderartists or blendernation forums? There is also Freenode IRC network #python. I find Freenode one of the best places to get instant help.

Thanks for your efforts! :D

19. Traveller

Traveller Member

I posted here because the folks here would have a vested interest. I did search various sources. I've found the problem and made corrections. Moving on to take care of the next opportunity.

20. Traveller

Traveller Member

Worked out the issues well enough to successfully read the header portion of file into variables, then print the results to the console. Next up is to map out the rest of the data structures and write the code to handle the rest of the file.