rF2 Expectations.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter Read, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Peter Read

Peter Read Registered

Hello,

Great to see familiar faces. I hope that Image Space can make once place for everyone, and not have to rely on outside sources to form to create that place. They have done really well with the Facebook page, and creating these new forums are a excellent step forward, for everyone to be heard. For example, we all know the true proper place to get rFactor mods, and that was rFactor Central. That was excellent, apart from when I seen RFT mods preview screen shots randomly posted in unrelated content and the whole "mess" when SimRaceway took over. At least from the people I talked too during that period, it was a "mess" according to them. I looked at it the same way, with the proper owner of rFactor Central leaving? or not moderating the site, like back when it was done very good. Somewhere ISI can control would be perfect. We know the way over-listed WIP's that hardly ever got finished, that raised so many peoples hopes for a really cool mod that never came to see the light of day to many of rFactor hopefuls. We know the four developing Formula One mods that get released, (which they should team together and be just the one Formula One mod) and the fact RFT took to their mods and using "illegal" parts, which from back when Race Sim Central was active is what I heard.

From the video preview that Tim put together of the experimental rain, everything looks very cool. I am expecting big things for this sim, and hopefully when the Q&A session comes up soon that we can soon to unravel what is planned for the sim. I do think the communication between the racers and the developers before was a bit sketchy, but with only just a few guys working on this? it can be very hard to get the time to talk to people following rFactor 2 and its progression.

I am expecting big things, but not the world, as I know from experience that creating things to take a lot of time. But do take your time. Longer the better, right? :)

2. TommyChampion

TommyChampion Registered

The most we expect is modding tools and modding tutorials.

3. chl044

chl044 Registered

Bonjour de Paris,

Yes me also I await the great differences with rfactor for integration of new cars.
    I hope that will be possible (integration) because it is for me the large success of old the rfactor, with also the online game which is the best

Sorry for my English and good bravery

oui moi aussi j'attends les grandes différences avec rfactor pour l'intégration de nouvelles voitures.
    j'espère que cela sera possible (intégration) car c'est pour moi le gros succès de l'ancien rfactor, avec aussi le jeu en ligne qui est le meilleur.

4. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

I don't see rFactor 2 as a completely new simulation. It's probably more like an evolutionary step forward in the rFactor franchise.

I could write down pages now what I and a big part of the community expect from rFactor 2, but to sum it all up, it comes down to something like this:

1. Crashes/Freezes/Stalls in DX9 mode
    One of the biggest problems is probably the fact that tons of people have problems running rFactor in DX9 mode. Running it in DX8 works fine, but in DX9 many people get that problem that rFactor stalls for a couple of seconds, the monitor goes black, and after a while the graphic card's driver will be "restored" and the race continues. During the stall in online mode your car simply sticks to its position, while your opponents probably will smash into it due to it decelerating to 0 in an instant.
    Others are getting lockups of their entire PC as well, and another strange thing is that for some people after the stall and driver recover a lot, if not all, textures are swapped are strangely colored, forcing you to forfeit the race.
    Since I believe rFactor 2's renderer will be based on gMotor2's renderer, I hope that this issue will not be present anymore in rFactor 2.

2. Bugs when driver swapping online
    Too long to explain. Over the years we discovered quite a lot of bugs, the ones happening when swapping the driver being some of the most frustrating. But, we found quite a couple of solutions to those problems. I don't know how far ISI went into looking into those problems, but we got quite a couple of tips how to avoid most of the bugs when swapping the driver. If you want to get answers - here we are.

3. Sound engine
    A cool audio experience would enhance rFactor 2's immersion by a great deal. rFactor's current sound model lacks a couple of features I could imagine would be possible to be implemented in rFactor 2. What I don't like anymore is the fact that the distance over which you can hear the cars is way too short. I've attended a couple of VLN races, the 24h Nordschleife races and a GT1 race already, and everyone who did that (I believe there are quite a couple of people here, hehe) probably has to agree that the overall acoustic experience is not really great simulated in rFactor 1. Don't get me wrong here: Modding groups are crafting really awesome soundsets for their mods, especially in cockpit view, but the sound engine simply doesn't allow for an even more realistic experience.
    Like I said, the distance over which the cars are heard should be much longer, plus, which adds a lot to realism, the travelling speed of sound should be simulated. When you're sitting on the main stand on the Nürburgring for example and watch the cars entering the back straight, you can see them much earlier braking and accelerating again before actually hearing those actions. This, along with echoes, would increase the simulation's overall immersion I think. If it's possible, that is.
    Oh yeah, and I would love to see a real, proper 5.1 channel support, which helps to locate your opponents without actually seeing them (i.e. when they're driving right next to you, racing with you towards the next braking point).

4. Force Feedback
    Well, rFactor's own FFB model is a little too weak for myself. But that wasn't a problem since it's possible to replace it with custom plugins like RealFeel or LeoFFB (I prefer the last one).
    Either rFactor 2 supports custom FFB plugins like the first installment, or it gets a massively updated FFB model which is far superior to the original one.

5. Graphics
    This is probably the most discussed part altogether. But for a lot of people it isn't even that important, especially in online communities. Of course it is important to update it with a couple of new features and a refined renderer, after all, the better it looks, the more fun it is, right? But, and this is the point I was referring to with "not that important": We don't need to have support for the latest version of DirectX just to have it written on the retail box. We don't need stuff motion blur or depth of field. In fact, I think it's even pretty redundant because our own eyes generate that effect on the fly, those two effects will only enhance screenshots for example, but not the actual reatime image.
    Take a look at NFS:Shift for example. When driving at high speed, Shift blurs out the whole cockpit. Why is that so? You won't notice this effect that much when focusing on the track (if at all), but when trying to read the dashboard you simply can't, even though your very own eyes are focusing on the dashboard. You probably understand what I mean. I talked about a lot of people about this and everyone agreed that it's a completely useless feature.
    Colors - this is a more important thing. From what I've seen rFactor 2's renderer seems to be heading into the right direction - a realistic look. Actually, I hate all those oversaturated "NextGen" titles, like the latest Formula 1 game (yes, game, not simulation ;)). Too much HDR, too much bloom, strange color filters... I mean, we want to simulate the driver's vision, right? Most of those titles seem to have simulated a camera, not the human vision. So, from the preview screenshots I believe that ISI goes into the right direction. I especially liked the shot of Palm Beach for example. Resize it, make it a little smaller, and it looks like a photograph. So far, I'm very confident we won't see a cartoonish looking sim title. ;)
    The biggest advancement could be made from rFactor 1's lighting model though. I don't know if it's confirmed yet, but I heard that rFactor 2 will feature (crisp) self shadowing on cars and in the cockpit, which would be awesome.

6. Weather system
    Well, we only got to see the one preview video so far and the cockpit screens from the Nissan when it comes to rain. It's still to early to judge it visually wise because it's still in a very early testing stage, but from what I've seen (especially the latest screen from the Nissan from September 30th), I think it will look great. Wipers will probably be working as well, which brings me to 2 important things: First of all, it shouldn't be possible to replace those shaders. Why you ask? In competitive online racing, you could gain an advantage by replacing those with a completely clear view. This would give you a dramatic advantage. And second, this system, especially with the wipers, has to be pretty mod friendly. I mean, it's great to have those exciting visuals with the cars which come out of the box, but the modding groups should be able to implement it easily in their mods as well, so that it will look just as stunning on their cars. I can't think of how that should be possible, but I'll just patiently wait. :)
    Physics wise, I simply trust ISI to deliver an awesome and accurate experience when it comes to rain. I simply trust them.

7. Physics department
    Well, I know that the tyre model isn't the most up to date in rFactor 1, but I think we'll see a completely refined physics model in rFactor 2 which will be superior to rFactor 1's in any kind of detail. We can't tell where they're heading right now, let's just wait and see. But to be honest, I don't think we'll see something that's not up par at least with the latest "real" simulation titles for the PC. ;)

Well, I wrote quite much more than I intended, I'll stop here now. :)

Greez Rob

5. Jux

Jux Registered

Even though the rain effects seem to be the "biggest" issue around everywhere, for me the biggest expectations are the physics. I really hope that some improvements are made also to the tire physics model because rF1 seems a little like driving on ice. I am not hoping, that it will be like iRacing, but if the driving will feel just like rF1 then I will be disappointed. Although there are some quality mod-s out there for rF1 that deal with the physics sufficiently.

The second thing I am hoping are the mod management and online experience. With rF1 it is really difficult for new players to get the right car mods and tracks installed to finally enter the online (public) race. With the online experience I mean there are better organized lobby rooms, users should have some kind of online stats and why not a rating for how clean driver is he. I also would like if there would be an option to set penalties for cutting corners.

And last biggest hope is the off-road racing. It would be fantastic, if rF2 could replace the Richard Burn's Rally. The WRC 2010 game could not.

6. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

7. Pashalis Gergis

Pashalis Gergis Registered

8. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

NFS can get oversaturated sometimes. I prefer more realistic look.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2010
  9. sommergemuese

sommergemuese Registered

Yep it is true sometimes. But most times it is very photo realistic ;)

One problem is that the most skinners dont know they have to make their skins darker than for rFactor or GTR 2 - Results in this glowing pictures
    porsche.png

10. toivonen

toivonen Registered

Yes, i agree there's many little things that could and i'm sure will be done, so that Rfactor2 will be with no margin of doubt THE BEST game/racing simulator ever...graphics, physics, weather features, options like save game comes to my mind....but right now, i'm just VERY HAPPY that these forums appeared, cause it's a sign that this dream of seeing RFactor2 in the near future is materializing...so i THANK ALL ISI Team for that

11. Jeffrey Rietveld

Jeffrey Rietveld Registered

From what I've seen yet, screen, a small vid etc. It looks very promising to me, iRacing will have some competition for sure in the next months or years.

12. cosm1

cosm1 Registered

need for sped shift shaders and lighting style will be perfect for rf2 :))

13. GTR2fan

GTR2fan Registered

Sorry to all the guys who request better graphics, shadows, reflections. I must to accept it, I dont know what is that. When I sit on front of my logitech G25, i do not put all the attention about graphics, shadows, reflections and so on. I always see the kerbs, braking zones, cars ahead, split times. I dunno if anybody can explain me what is the importance of all that graphic sttuf.

14. Jux

Jux Registered

Top of the line graphics are in the upcoming Grand Turismo 5.

Surely NFS/GT graphics are a little too much to expect. But it should be at least as nice as in iRacing.

.. btw, if we have rain, will there be a snow aswell ... or big wind?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2010
  15. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

Imersion. You're right about the main aspects on racing simulator, but better graphics means better imersion. I agree, graphics is far to be the master point in simulation, but if you have room for graphical improvements without compromise physics, I think is worth.

16. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It is like with experienced driver and rooky one. First is able to talk, tune the radio, sight seeing when second one has even no ability to turn a steering wheel and change gear at the same time ;)

Seriously, real looking gfx improves immersion. The same about good sounds. Simulation is not only about physics but about reproduce whole environment. All those things are needed to cheat your brain.
    Finally it is really nice to see replay or photos from event which are looking realistic.

BTW: don't compare to GT5 photos. Most of them are made in photomode with quality never reachable in gameplay.

17. DeDios

DeDios Registered

what i expect from rF2? a complete evolution of rF, in terms of physics, graphic, sound, AI ;)
    We need a product who will be good and competitive for lot of years.
    I hope to see more legal/from scratch stuff and less illegal work. I love quality work, and..i hope i'll see stunning projects in rF2 too! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2010
  18. AosudiF1

AosudiF1 Registered

Particularly, I could really live with better AI for offline racing. I'm not waiting for AI to leave you thorough when lapping them, or block the inside line... that would be too much (although GP4 did it, like ages ago).

Just AI that will not ram you, and bump you every time...

19. bmanic

bmanic Registered

I think the rFactor physics have been pretty damn good already. Sure the tire model could be better but overall the physics capabilities feel pretty darn good, especially when using realfeel FFB.

iRacing is not even close to being the "holy grail" of physics that people seem to think here and on other forums. That's just silly fanboys talking. I've been racing iRacing for over a year now and there are several things completely wrong with their model (yeah, they don't even simulate the suspension geometry properly and thus do not allow for separate fast/slow bump settings for the damper).

In terms of physics I'd say netKar Pro is by far the most advanced both in terms of tire model and chassis/suspension model so if rFactor 2 can feel a bit more like netKar when driving then that'd be great! :)

I'm hoping for an overall more immersive experience from rFactor 2. This is done by improving many key areas all together, areas like sounds, graphics, force feedback, track complexity (the surface of the track!!) etc.

I'm getting pretty bored by iRacing due to it's problems with several immersion killers so I'm hoping rFactor 2 can re-ignite my enthusiasm for simracing. Simbin's GTR Evolution has already made me appreciate "immersion" at a whole new level compared to iRacing though I miss the more mature opponents of iRacing (I think the iRating and safety rating systems are brilliant and the main reason why one should pay for the sim). In the end it's all about make believe. I want to imagine that I'm some kind of real world race driver and get my daily adrenalin rush driving the sim, online and offline.

Cheers!
    bManic

20. shum94

shum94 Registered

Expectations that's the perfect thread for me.

Why latest screenshot are published when a feature such as dynamic line track has been announced, screen 1 of lastest preview shows cars looking like Panoz of rF 1 graphic wise and a clean track.

It has been stated that tires would not be dynamic, we wont see them getting dirty but i expect the track to be alive, if there is a line created with the passages of the cars i expect to see a track with skid marks, tires compound.

Or we will just have something when it's raining with a line less wet than the rest of the track. It's quiet silly to have something alive when it's wet and dead on dry conditions.