Questions for ISI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F1lover, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I was going to post a whole topic concerning steering lock and the annoyance of having to set it every time I set off. I may still start it just to get an overview of what the community prefers. I drive with a wheel rotation of 720 degrees and 25 degrees of steering lock in all 40 mods I drive. Having most mods default to 14 constantly is very annoying.

2. mantazzo

mantazzo Registered

Hey, Off Topic question, but it still can be with rFactor 2. Why my whell can't throttle 100%? I saw it's not full. If someone can help me, please PM me. Thank You. :)

3. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

@ZeosPantera
    You have 720* and want 25*. I have 720* and usually have 21*. Someone has 180* wheel and prefer 11*. I would have it as it is, because changing steering lock in rFactor is no taking that much time ;-)
    iRacing has it much worse. First of all, you can't change steering lock at all and you have to recalibrate your wheel (which takes way much longer than simply changing steering lock in rF) in-game when you change your lock in the drivers.
    I don't know is there a solution that would fit all of us ;-)

4. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

So you think that it's easy do you?
    The math is easy yes but finding steering ratio for every mod/car is just not on.

Maybe it needs to be done by the mod makers?
    They supply you with the correct lock2lock degrees for each car so that you can set it in your software.
    You can then set whatever in game steering lock you want.
    Problem is not everyone has G25/G27/Fanatec.
    Some peoples have momo which is set at 240 or 270 (can't remember).

I think 720 is very unrealistic for a race car.
    Indeed for an F1 car it's totally wrong.

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

If you take into account that any single car irl has different steering lock... is it really problem for you to set it once and save setup?
    You still have to set a lot of other parameters so setting one more or less really does not matter.

BTW: Why do you think that 720* is unrealistic? it is 360 turn in each direction. F1 drivers are able to do 520* lock-to-lock on Monaco. 1 turn in each dir in tourist race car is common. And you have also a lot of racing series with almost unmodified cars. Having 720* capable wheel doesn't mean you must use whole range while on track.

6. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Yes, odds are when I am using 720 with 25 lock during a touring car race or even most classic car sprints I will never USE more then ~400 degrees rotation when actually driving. What that extra 320 degrees is good for is after a spin or slide into a tire wall when a greater steering lock is needed to quickly get me in the right direction.

You don't use full lock in a real car unless you're parking right?

7. Marek Lesniak

If that's not easy to find these values for the community, then how come should it be easy for ISI guys, hmm?

YES, its the modders who should provide such information (just in case someone would want to have realistic ratio).
    Having G25 or not doesn't matter. In the end, you set steering lock for your needs. That's why you have ability to set that value in the garage.

@ZeosPantera
    During racing (drifting is completly other story), most of the time we usually use not more than +/- 180*. But when you get out of the garage, then sometimes you need full turn.... and of course after spinning out of the track, avoiding other cars etc.

8. zild1221

zild1221 Registered

I have just recently begun playing iRacing again which now with improvements is actually pretty enjoyable. Anyway, the way iRacing does it is you calibrate your wheel. It finds out what steering lock you have, then it sets the car up for the optimum steering lock for your rotation. Just like some people do some crazy equation to find the optimum, iRacing takes care of that for you.

9. Marek Lesniak

If I want to change steering ratio in iR, I have to "cheat" during wheel calibration because in iR you can't change steering lock in the garage. Yes, iR's way of setting the wheel is a no brainer. If someone have trouble setting steering lock by himself then iR is OK. Sometimes though, I need different settings than those iR tries to force me into, that's why I preffer how it's done in rFactor.

If such simple math is for you "crazy equation" then I don't want to know how you would react when someone asked you to calculate something typical from a high school math class ;)

10. zild1221

zild1221 Registered

I have no clue what the equation is, this just eliminates the need for one. In rFactor, I always use 400 with 22. iRacing though, since the FFB is better I use 900 and whatever it sets.

11. David Wright

David Wright Registered

Think about it. Why do graphics intensive games like Shift or F1 2010 require a powerful processor? Its not because of the physics or AI routines. Why do the graphics go faster with a more powerful processor? The physics is done at a fixed rate - it does not "hold back" the graphics.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...1-Phenom-doing-well-quad-cores-rule/Practice/

The CPU has to generate the 3D wire frame world for the graphics card to render as a 2D image. With the high number of polys in todays racing games that requires a lot from the CPU, not only the GPU.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2010
  12. Peppe

Peppe Registered

Will it be possible to trigger the green light for pitlane starters in some different way than what is the case now (when the first car passes sector 1)?

Maybe a special trigger on the track or a configurable time in one of the files so that the pit exit light goes green at X seconds after the red lights had gone out.

13. weischschon

weischschon Registered

I have two questions, which are quite important regarding the development of our VLN 2009 mod:

1. How many cars on track will be supported? More than 104 in rF1 would be very welcome.
    2. We have some problems (crashes, runtime-errors) in rF1 with multi-car mods combined with a lot of ai-cars. Is it possible that there is some sort of problem with rF's memory-management and if so, will this be sortet out for rF2?

I hope for your reply

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010
  14. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Will "All cars/tracks" be better supported/implemented? I really hate the fact that I cannot take the VLN Viper (favorite car) around a track while my mates take there respective favorite's from their favorite mods. Plus setting up multi-class races would be infinitely better!

It took me nearly 3 hours of testing with the dedicated server to find which mods worked with others for this video. HistorX had to be omitted unfortunately along with most of the F1 mods.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2010
  15. F1lover

F1lover Registered

hey guys *** Tim**** i noticed the new pic on VirtualR of the upcoming release... quick question... in the pic the right hand is off the wheel... does this mean animated Arms???

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Arms move, yeah. They stay on the wheel until over 9 degrees, then hands are removed from the wheel so the wheel can be 'walked' by the hands as it turns, like we do with steering wheels in real life. You can see this in the rain experiment video.

17. senn

senn Registered

Mr. Wheatley - Will rF2 support Manifold pressure modelling (ie NA, Turbo/super/twin charging) and so on, or any other engine physics modelling improvements over rF?

18. Arturo_Pereira

Arturo_Pereira Registered

Hi :)

I am not sure if this was asked before, so here it goes:

a. will we be able to rejoin a server after being disconnected, as with NR2003?

b. will the old tracks/mods be compatible with rFactor2?

c. will rFactor 2 include some sort of Replay Analyzer to help league admins to get the complete results faster and without 3rd party software??

d. will we be able to edit replays as with NR2003??

Thanks in advance :)

19. Sean_S36

Sean_S36 Registered

Will Rfactor2 have a offline in depth Championship mode? With good AI?

20. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

I'm assuming that should be 90 degrees?
    in reality a racing driver will only ever take his hands off the wheel if it's impossible to take the corner without doing so, they certainly never feed the wheel like you are taught when first driving.
    Hopefully both wheels and arms will be removeable in the final build as I am firmly in the "don't want to see them" camp

I have a question that may have been asked previously (but I'm too lazy to search for)

Now that animated marshalls are included I am assuming there will be a set of triggers that will activate local yellows, blue flags etc. will these be able to trigger other things like the flashing lights currently used in Formula one? I know in rF1 it is possible to do this with full course yellows but it would be good to have the full set of flags enabled.

Good luck with rF2 and I look forward to seeing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.