Surround sound?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Kondor, Apr 15, 2024.

1. Kondor

Kondor Registered

When I last played RF2 a couple of months ago, I could have sworn that surround sound was finally implemented. I can't recall what car I was driving, but it was mid-engined, and for the very first time I was actually hearing engine noises coming from the rear on my surround system. The sound was outstanding and I could actually (again, for the 1st time) localize cars around me by sound.

Well, today I fired up Rf2 and it's back to 2-channel audio again. What happened? I tried a bunch of newer official content and nothing gave me any rear-channel audio, except the fake reverb effect thing that's been around forever.

In all seriousness, how can RF2 still not have proper 5.1 audio in 2024? Every single other racing game (including the ancient Automobilista 1) has proper, functioning surround sound.

It really sucks to drive a 911 RSR and hear the engine sounds coming from the front, or a car come up behind you - but the sound is to the front. It kills quite a bit of immersion.

Any idea why it was working and now it's not? It's not my hardware - surround works perfectly in every other game (AMS2, AC, ACC, AMS1, etc).

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There's been a new sound engine for... 2 years? Check your windows sound config is correct.

*more info: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/new-sound-engine-settings.71979/

3. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

Are you using an optical cable to get sound to your amp/speakers? I was, and the same thing happened to me. It turned out to be Windows. I couldn't fix it, so I switched to using the individual channel outs on my mobo.

4. Kondor

Kondor Registered

I'm using the individual outputs.

So, can you give me an example of a known car that has proper sound location? For example, a mid-engined car where the engine sound comes from the rear speakers on your setup?

There's a lot of old content that might not work, even when everything is set up properly.

PS - As stated, this setup delivers perfect surround sound in every other sim, so I don't think it's my configuration in Windows. If that were the problem, wouldn't it affect every game?

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Some older content might not have the engine sound in the right place, but I think all other aspects (cars behind etc) should work correctly even if they don't utilise the new sound engine parameters.

Just going to a trackside camera in Immersive mode and listening to AI should confirm, especially if you face away with freelook. (Broadcast mode won't move the Mic with you in trackside)