AI Fuelling *Devs, please read!*

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pales, Mar 24, 2024.

1. Pales

Pales Registered

[​IMG]Whilst I appreciate that we're unlikely to see any significant change to rFactor 2 going forward, I think it would be very unwise of you to leave things as they are currently. I have just invested a considerable sum of money into rFactor 2 once again, and frankly, I am a bit disappointed. The recent AI changes to how fuel is calculated appear to not only have made things *worse* but the fail safe that we all used to use is now broken, meaning we cannot use fuel usage.....

Can you please reinstate the default AI behavior where if a 'timed' race is selected and practice and qualifying are skipped, it forces the AI to take the maximum amount of full capacity for their vehicle? This is how it used to work when they did not have the opportunity to calculate. This also meant that once the car pitted (regardless of how many laps were left), it would take full fuel and tyres again.

As it stands right now, fuel calculation is so wildly inaccurate for official content that it effectively breaks offline racing unless you disable fuel. I understand calculation is difficult, and I know many sims also struggle with this, so that is what makes the fail safe so important. This ultimately allowed us to copy the AI so we could make it *fair*

Here is an example of just how poor it is. Default rFactor 2 installation, default JSON, official car and track (both of which are relatively new). This is the first lap of a 200 minute timed race and look at the fuel tanks.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
  2. 8Ball

8Ball Registered

Make your setup full tank and force setup ?

If you have issue with mods you can set further % in json or HDV
    This is not fuel multiplier

"AI Fuel Mult":0.99,
    "AI Fuel Mult#":"Additional fuel multiplier for AIs because of their driving style",

"Fixed AI Setups":true,
    "Fixed AI Setups#":"whether AI use the fixed setups, only applicable if \"Fixed Setups\" is also enabled (and can be used in single player to have the AIs use your favorite setup)",
    "Fixed Setups":true,
    "Fixed Setups#":"use fixed setups specified in UserData\\<plr>\\FavoriteAndFixedSetups.gal (based on track and vehicle class)",

atomed likes this.
  3. Pales

Pales Registered

This is something that I will have to look into today to see what I can do, but really, a new player should not be forced to do this in order to have an authentic race.

4. Pales

Pales Registered

Well, I have tested this extensively and I have had no luck whatsoever. Most of the documentation backdates to the very old UI as well, so are we even sure that this is possible now? Also, if this can be done, can it even be applied in a multi-class scenario? I would need to enforce this for about 15 unique cars.

This was never required before, and I have played this game exclusively for over 1,000 hours in offline mode.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Pales honest question: what happens if you do run prac & qual, so they can 'learn' how much fuel they use?

6. Pales

Pales Registered

Hi Lazza,

Thanks for responding.

Interestingly, this is the only way I can get a somewhat consistent result but it is still problematic at times due to accuracy. I have to allow them to run for a significant amount of time (I have been opting to use the fast forward functionality) and after they have amounted around 10 or so laps, they're far more reliable when it comes to fuel calculations for the race.

Previously this is not something that was required, though. We could simply select 'timed' and the default behaviour of the AI resulted in them taking full and tyres for both race start and any subsequent pit. This has obviously changed at some stage.

Are you aware of any .HDV properties that would allow me to force a starting fuel and pit fuel for the AI? I am going to keep testing your recommendation to assess how reliable this method is, but from my brief observations, it still causes issues

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  7. Pales

Pales Registered

I spent several hours running some more tests and despite my best efforts, I cannot make any sense of it. Even if I allow 15-20 laps of the AI practicing, they still pick randomised full packages (anywhere from 30% of their tank to 90%). It is very inconsistent.

Edit: After discussing this issue with Coutie and providing various examples, I queried the possibility of forcing this type of behaviour via the .HDV and for cars that are encrypted, using Upgrade.ini

Initial tests suggest it is working as intended but I will need more time to verify. Fortunately, it does look like we can mod this - which is excellent news.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  8. dosequis56

dosequis56 Registered

What value did you change in HDV file?