Thruxton hit garage wall

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SteveMack, Feb 16, 2024.

1. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

Hi,
    With almost, not all cars when leaving the garage I hit the wall with what seems like the left rear, some cars I can drive straight and have enough steering to just make it without hitting the guard rail or the garage wall, but other cars it's wall and guard rail, was there ever a fix or update for this?
    Thanks for any help.
    Steve

2. redapg

redapg Registered

The Fix is, when you can not leave the Garage in 1 forward Movement, you have to shunt back and forward, until you can leave it without any Damage. :)

Seriously now: i doubt that the Steering Lock of any Car will be modified because of such Problems.

Or what kind of Fix do you want to get?

3. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

Laguna Seca had a problem like this and S397 fixed it by making the equipment by the pit stands not collidable.

SteveMack and atomed like this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You may need to steer slightly in the opposite direction first, to give yourself room to get around the garage wall. If hitting the pit wall it's possible - though rare - that the track has you placed further forward than is necessary, and reversing first may help (dependent, of course, on still clearing the garage wall).

Multi-point turns as redapg describes are another option.

So far this is all realistic, in the context of virtual tracks that may (especially community made ones) not be quite set up right. Even in F1 sometimes they need two bites at it, or even damage their wing on the pit wall (and often they have a team member sitting on the pit wall giving them guidance). "Even in F1" because that is a pinnacle in many ways, so it's not lack of forethought to blame - though modern F1 cars have wheelbases small buses would be jealous of.

Finally, there is a default game option that can assist with tight pitlanes: "Steer ratio speed" (in the controller file or profile). That sets a maximum speed below which the steering ratio (and steered angle) will increase to the maximum the car allows, rather than the current setup value, to make it easier to navigate tight spaces. If you've disabled that, and you aren't already on the highest setting, enabling it may help.

Also check your setup and wheel settings, in case you're artificially limiting available steering lock. Most modern rF2 cars have a steering lock setting that isn't what people expect (it adjusts rotation, not ratio).

But mainly: just manage your space, like you would in real life.

5. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

You can only back up slightly before hitting the wall, if you turn the wheel before moving you still hit the wall and with some cars if turning the wheel before moving you still hit the garage wall and the guardrail. I was wondering if there was a fix out or update for the track.

6. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

You would need to try it yourself at the track if you have it, I bought the track to race online, it's not 3rd party, you have no room to back up, you back right into the wall, I have the option set to set the steering for what each car actually has.
    F1 cars are long and I haven't tried one yet but you might just knock the front wing off trying to get out.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, I was speaking more generally so fair call. So, to also be specific: which car(s) are you having issues with? I just tried a GTE and had no issue. I would even say there's quite a lot of room to the pit wall, so the tight garage should be manageable even if you have to delay turning to avoid hitting your rear quarters.

8. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

Gt3 callaway corvette hits the wall and guardrail, the Bentley I just make it by a hair, don't forget I have the steering set for each car so if you don't have that option set and only have the one setting for every car then you could probably get a different result, I like having the actual settings for each car.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I also have my rotation set for each car, though in this case it's not really important (as long as the setup allows full steered angle, it doesn't matter if your wheel is doing 90° or 1440°).

I had tried the Bentley without issue, so I just tried the Corvette and did it twice without hitting anything - but obviously I'm being careful because I know it's an issue. If I'd gone in blind, I for sure would have hit the garage wall. It's tight, no doubt, but it's possible without reversing.

I tried turning a little earlier the second time, I'd say my wheelbase was barely halfway off the pitbay raised section, and I expected to tap the garage wall, but didn't. If you turn much earlier than that you'll probably hit it.

And I stayed very slow, because I felt like I might hit the pitwall with the limited steering lock, but was able to get around. There's no way you could do this in a hurry or trying to leave any room for a car coming down the pitlane.

And to correct myself from earlier: I think the "Steer Ratio Speed" option might have been removed, and that vaguely rings a bell. It did cause some issues with some cars.

10. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

I am a higher fov guy I am always at least 50 or higher, I can't seem to be able to drive any lower, I am actually up around 56 just about every car, try the corvette up around 56 and see if you can make it. I am not at my computer right now.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think you're overthinking this.

It's not a settings thing, again assuming you haven't further limited the steering rotation in the setup. Default wheel range is 410°. If you lower that you will have less steering at full lock.

It's a tight garage, so you can't turn early or your rear will hit the garage wall. In this car, with a big turning circle, there's not a lot of room in the pitlane, so you can't turn late.

That's it. Don't turn early, don't turn too late. If you have turned too late, stop and reverse a bit at that point.

12. redapg

redapg Registered

I will try the Callaway Corvette at the Weekend.
    And if you want, i can offer to create an Update with a not collidable Garage Building for Example, like @Flatspotter did mention above.
    I fear that S397 will not update something like that in the next Months, due to the Le Mans Ultimate Game Development.

13. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

I see what your saying, I will try again tomorrow to find and see how it goes, I know you got it right, the only thing I was really concerned about was when racing online if you pull out and stop and back up and you get hit or cause a wreck on pit lane, not on practice time but on qualifying time you get a hit on your safety rank and so will the other or others involved, also if you hit the rail or the wall you get a hit an immovable hit on you ranking, not trying to be petty, this and causing damage to the car was the reason I was asking, your right though it's a tight squeeze.

14. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

It was more of a concern for the online racing and causing a problem on pit lane or damaging the car when going to qualify, not so much for practice but qualifying time.

15. redapg

redapg Registered

Now where i did read that it is related to online Racing, it makes no Sense to create an Update, because you can not use it for that.
    So you'll have to wait until S397 will update it or do more Practice to "leaving the Garage carefully". :)

pkelly likes this.