rFactor 2 AiM Data - Track Maps

Discussion in 'Other' started by Seventh-Gear, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Seventh-Gear

Seventh-Gear Registered

I'm trying to figure out how to assign track maps to rF2 data in AiM RaceStudio3.

Physical AiM loggers assign a track automatically using their GPS location. However the data I've imported from rF2 shows "0" for the GPS channels, and I assume that not all tracks have been modelled to global coordinates anyway. I do have the AiM-provided tracks in my RS3 library, but I can't see that it's possible to assign one to a dataset.

Anybody with info on this would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The logging plugin will need to log either the X-Z position, or make up some GPS coordinates based on them, and then allow an adjustment (or you set up one on the analysis end) to align the map position/orientation. There'll still be inaccuracies of course though.

Unfortunately the GPS positions defined by the track maker aren't exposed (to plugins, or even in the UI AFAIK) so there'll always be some correction required.

For info my DAMPlugin (Motec) logs GPS, but again it's just the X-Z position and I've placed it just off the west coast of Africa - as I can't get it right, it's better to not even pretend it's close for clarity. Fine for comparing multiple logged laps, no good for real data comparisons.

Seventh-Gear likes this.
  3. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

4. Seventh-Gear

Seventh-Gear Registered

Thank You both for the quick reply.

Yes that makes sense -- The mesh of the rF2 track is bound to differ from the actual track, so I can't overlay it to the actual track provided in RS3 Analysis. I see now the AiM plugin does log the X-Y-Z movement of the vehicle, and when I use RS2 Analysis I'm able to generate my own map for the rF2 track, the same way we had to for real tracks in the "old days" before RS3.

Thank You again Lazza, you are a true rF2 resource.