Physics sheet - Aero

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Chris Lesperance, Feb 3, 2024.

1. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I feel like I'm missing a step. The physics spread sheet, once you get everything entered, has the aero calculator, to be able to tell you what your DF level is at what ever speed. I'm having an extremely hard time lining up the information that is displayed on the spreadsheet to match what is happening in game.

Just wondering if anybody has any ideas that I can try to at least get the sheet information close.

[​IMG]

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Do the test conditions in the spreadsheet match your speed and ride heights?

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The front/rear downforce in N seem close. Ride height used to have an affect on total DF. But this might be an interesting discussion once the guys who know what they are doing weigh in... :)

Lazza likes this.
  4. Chris Lesperance

Speed matches. I feel like ride height yes. I have the numbers I'm trying to match in the "Telemetry RH" lines. I hope that is correct I can't figure out the numbers to get the "Ride Height" line to match what I need. I know in game you have more of a dynamic ride height vs the sheet probably being more static. I'm not sure how to confirm that. I'm also not sure what numbers control the different ride height variables. I see the "Ride Height Maps" but I'm not sure how that works.

[​IMG]

I'm in a fortunate position as I have the full aero guide of what the numbers should be. So it is having to reverse engineer to get it to fit into the sheet. I'm just having a difficult time in establishing the proper workflow and getting the sheet to in game be close.
    [​IMG]

5. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

I think that 'Telemetry RH' in the sheet should correspond with figures shown in real time ('Front Ride Height' and 'Rear Ride height').
    Static ride height set in garage is just a start point, but not important for your test.
    This case your rear ride height while driving is just 0.023m, while your theorical target in the sheet is 0.045m, so you should make some small setup adjustments to obtain a closer rear ride height figure.
    And I think your speed is not the same either. 145mph is 233kph, not 241.4.
    After that we can discuss other sources of deviation...

Telemetry RH : Front and rear main undertray points height.
    Ride height : (EDITED) Front and rear undertray height at the axels plane (any rake different than 0 will make this height to be different than main undertray points height, because axels are normally at different place than main undertray points)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
    Lazza likes this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Time for the no chicane versions of Le Mans for longer straight line runs. Or that 5 mile straight somebody built for rF1. That oughta do it!

7. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

i don't know if you are being serious or not, but imo testing aero effects on real tracks is really not best way to find out what going on with car too many bump and irregularities on road , wreck havoc on ride height, suspension .....and hence aero data is not very clear.
    i generally go on skid pad with artificially flat surface.

McFlex and davehenrie like this.
  8. Chris Lesperance

That's what I have.

Crap you may be right in this example. I was going back and forth on the speed on the sheet as the car in game would be drag limited to 145. I must have left this in when I did the screen shot. I'll need to rerun with the correct numbers. Great catch.

Ok great! That helps confirm my bad news of having to go back and forth from the sheet to the game.

That makes sense.

9. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

Reverse engineer that aero map should be fairly simple. The shape looks like something you can create in the game, although with some error on the lowest HF data point. There are not that many data points for reference either, so it won't be time consuming to recreate.

First thing would be to convert the reference graph to a map with downforce coefficient instead of force. When you have a clear aero map you can start recreating one HF point so it's as close as you desire. After that, you can input a few other HF points to see how it compares to your reference. Then depending on the results you will have to decide on what to adjust to get closer to your reference. I see that you have a tab of the DF v FBal%, which will be very helpful since you can determine the pitch sensitivity.

10. philrob

philrob Registered

Dave do you have that 5 mile Rf1 track? i did have it years ago. but cant find it.

11. Chris Lesperance

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Sorry, EVERYTHING from that era was lost via hard drive failures.(I worked the SNOT out of them loading, testing, unloading editing loading repeat a hundred times.) Fortunately there are others like Chris !!!! :)

13. philrob

philrob Registered

Thanks guys, its a pity ClassicMsporthub is still off line, they may have it.

14. Corti

Corti Registered

15. Corti

Corti Registered

16. philrob

philrob Registered

Thanks Corti
    yes that is a curious one, interesting though.

17. elgagon

elgagon Registered

18. Chris Lesperance

Emery likes this.