Were the AI improvements reverted?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SharD, Feb 1, 2024.

1. SharD

SharD Registered

Studio 397 has made some efforts into improving the game's AI the past two years, but...

... currently, cars are constantly crashing into each other again, crashing over the kerbs, forgetting that they have brakes, overshooting into corners, and even crashing behind the safety car, resulting in these dumb pileups that decimate half of the AI field before lap 5. The strange thing is these issues were gone for some time, and the AI was behaving much better. But now we are back at square one. As a modder and solo player, this makes the game unplayable for me.

We are, once again, back at having this undriveable garbage AI of some patches ago. S397 seriously needs to do better, as there are games that came out more than 20 years ago that have a better AI than rFactor 2.

2. JEmilio

JEmilio Registered

I've been racing against the cpu for a while and never found such behaviour. Lower the ai mistake parameter and aggression.

coltair and 8Ball like this.
  3. Bernat

Bernat Registered

And reset your AI json config.

Emery and 8Ball like this.
  4. SharD

SharD Registered

What I am describing has nothing to do with the parameters set in my .json file; aggression (25%), AI strength (90%), and AI mistakes (0.75) ARE set low already. What I am describing is AI driver behaviour that was addressed AND FIXED in recent patches, as you can read here:

https://www.studio-397.com/2022/11/announcing-ai-improvements/

These changes worked, but now it suddenly seems we're back at square one, while I have not made any changes to the tracks or my mods.

5. elgagon

elgagon Registered

Has there been an update of rF2?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Maybe try a fresh json anyway, to test?

You're here asking a question, so maybe don't dismiss answers out of hand.

And as above, there hasn't been an rF2 update for a while. How recently has the behaviour changed for you?

Lars and Emery like this.
  7. 8Ball

8Ball Registered

Give examples of content so people know what you talking about.
    S397 is not responsible for 3rd party content, those should be directed towards the mod team / author.

Run practice and qualifying sessions, ISI AI are dynamic they learn they are not drones as I would describe other AI.
    If combos don't work well together try others, many give me excellent races, no less Lemans and WEC content+ LMP2/GTE/GT3
    Don't press restart race this will just exacerbate the problem.
    Force AI to use full fuel tanks, this can help heaps with certain combos. You may think more fuel would make it worse, exact opposite, they have more grip.
    Again in this regard ISI was always dynamic, some other sims AI empty or full, you can't tell the difference ( in behaviour ) because they not as dynamic.

edit:
    Also don't be buillied by the AI, bully them instead, when they get close move over on them some inches, they will get the message. Brake early and lift and run in is another good bad AI remedy.
    Also if you think you going to get hit then get ready to left foot squeeze the brake, this will keep the car under control better at least.

edit:
    Another one ISI pulls off so well, again dynamics.
    If you have a troublesome AI behind do what they do RL.
    Take them out wide in fast turn then pull back other way.
    They will get dirty air and understeer into the kitty litter.
    Seen real racers do this dozens of times.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
    atomed and pkelly like this.
  8. SharD

SharD Registered

@Lazza and @8Ball, I'll try your suggestions.

The behaviour was markedly different the last few startups of the game -> the last week.

9. Herve_Versabeau

Herve_Versabeau Registered

@SharD
    which car ?
    which track ?
    single class or multi class ?

10. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

AI mistakes at 0.75 are very high. In your case the propability for a mistake by the AI is 75 %. Would you hire a driver with a chance of crashing at 75 %. I know, I wouldn't. ;)

Edit: here is the explaination for that value btw

"AI Mistakes#":"a range of (intentional) AI mistakes from 0.0 (none) to 1.0 (sometimes). Anything above 1.0 multiplies the frequency",

Emery likes this.
  11. SharD

SharD Registered

I know how this value works. The "severity" of AI mistakes often depends on the mod. I've had it on 3 with Nick's F1 22 mod, and not much happened on the track. I like to keep it somewhat "high" as is a factor also in how often the cars try overtakes etc.

CART 1995
    Mid-Ohio and GPVWC's Zhuhai.
    Single class.