Feeling of Speed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael Woller, Jan 30, 2024.

1. Michael Woller

Michael Woller Registered

Hey Guys,

I do feel the speed of e.g. GT3 very poor. So 250 kph rather feel like 120 or 150 kph than real 250kph.

FOV at my 32" Triple Screens is set mathematical correct according to the eye to screen distance.

What can I do??

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Drive on narrower tracks?

High FOV gives more sense of speed, above reality. And it's not real life so you miss out on other factors, like fearing for your life.

3. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

If you position the seat all the way forward you will feel like your slow, move it back.
    Low fov, you will feel slow, you have to pick your own, don't go by the calculators, they
    don't seem to work, always comes out as low fov and your all the way to the windshield.
    I try to be back far enough in the seat to get the drivers side mirror in view, the whole mirror.
    On my 32, I currently have at about 57 sometimes and up to about 62 depending on the car, my
    rule of thumb is to try to get all or most of the driver side mirror in view, some cars you just can't get the whole mirror in, also try not to sit too high in the car, at some tracks you may have to see the corners better but at others you need to sit lower to get the real look of the corners, hope this makes sense, I myself was having a hard time driving with the low fov and being up in the windshield.

4. Bernat

Bernat Registered

With triple 32" screens I would choose a FOV that made objects look about the same size as in real life. That would make it easier to calculate distances intuitively and also give a real sense of speed.

Tracks with more detailed objects near the track will better give a sense of speed.

There are other factors that can convey speed, like cockpit movement. Simulations though can't never match the sense of speed, partially conveyed by the sense of danger, of real life racing. When driving a real car, a dangerous situation immediately makes any speed feel faster.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Michael Woller just for clarity, setting FOV with a calculator will mean you're not using multiview. If performance allows you should enable multiview and use the triple tool (in the car, especially if the menus don't show your setup correctly) to set your screen distance, angles, and bezels.

That aside...

I think a common misconception is that the calculators are somehow wrong. There is only one correct FOV for a particular screen size and distance, and setting that will give the same apparent size and proportion of objects and the track itself whether you're on 55" triples 80cm away, or a 24" screen 95cm away, as Bernat referenced.

What varies is the amount you can actually see, and that's where the dash might disappear from view because if you had a sheet of cardboard with a screen-sized hole cut out of it, placed at your screen's distance, in the real car, it's going to block your view to some extent.

So, assuming seat position is correct (and it may not be, if it's more set for high-fov users) you may find you're more comfortable moving it forward or back, or even increasing the FOV to help you see parts of the car or track/cars around you. But that doesn't make the calculation wrong.

Emery likes this.
  6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Increase fov

7. Michael Woller

Thank you for all the hints. @SteveMack are you speaking of real Seat Position or virtual??

@Lazza Im using Multiview with the Triple Tool.

So my real distance is 63-65 cm measured eye to Center screen. What value do you think I should enter in my Triple Tool?? (have it at 63 now)

Then Play with the ingame Seat movement Forward and Backward?

Understood correctly?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I personally use the actual distance. I think the feeling of speed is fine, albeit without stereo vision. Tracks mostly have a lot of room, and driving on the racing line slows down the straight-corner transitions. It's like doing 110kph on a 4 lane motorway can feel like doing 50 on a suburban street.

But it feels slower than with high FOV, sure.

9. Michael Woller

So what do you think I should try?

Moving the virtual in-Car Seat further back??

10. stonec

stonec Registered

In car seat position does nothing to sense of speed other than that it allows you to see more or less of the track. If adjusting it will help to get the cockpit blocking less of the view it may help some, but it's the FOV that is the relevant setting here.

azaris likes this.
  11. Michael Woller

OK understand.

So then better to set FOV down to 57 or 58 in ingame Triple Tool instead of correct 63cm eye distance for Higher Speed reception?

12. Michael Woller

Here is a Video. I think it feels good with faster cars F1 or sth. and the FOV is correct.

I only feel poor speed reception with GT3 Cars or sth.

One big rule I have learned is: the ingame steering wheel should have the same size as the real steering wheel.... Agree?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    Corti likes this.
  13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

For what reason? It doesn't seem to have any relation to sense of speed. Sure, it'll make the car the right size, and that's a good thing.

Slower cars, especially tintops, tend to feel slower. That's about visuals and it's about the nature of the cars.

If you're coming from higher FOV to correct FOV, it'll feel slower. You either give yourself time to get used to it, and perhaps feel good about the fact you're seeing everything real size, or you decide that extra speed sensation is important to you and bump up the FOV again.

14. Comante

Comante Registered

Once you get used to a fast cars, no car will feel fast enough unless it is actually faster. This happen in R/L too, so, no FOV setting will help you. The only thing that can make you engaged is to make setups more nervous, if you can stay on their pace, you may go faster, otherwise get ready for some spin.

15. Michael Woller

hmm, ok. So to sum this up: Correct FOV is to manage the right size of all the objects?

16. Emery

Emery Registered

Disagree. It is only true when your own steering wheel is the same size as the one that is modeled AND the seat distance matches your own seat distance.

17. Bernat

Bernat Registered

The steering wheel is just an input interface. It has nothing to do with FOV calculations. Making the steering wheel in the screen match the wheel in your hands won't make a difference.

My summary would be: It's subjective and conditioned by the environment and situation. Try different things and keep what's best for you.

Michael Woller and DanRZ like this.
  18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yes, that's the primary benefit. It's what makes it feel more real. Squishing more stuff into your view makes everything look and feel smaller than it is - but does increase the feeling of speed.

Going from (very) high FOV to correct FOV gives you full appreciation of how sharp/long corners are, the extent of undulations, realistic looking cars around you.

You're telling the wrong person. Emery is referring specifically to the matching wheel size thing - which is only guaranteed to put your eyes in the correct position in the car if other dimensions also match.

19. mjo1704

mjo1704 Registered

I think the feeling of speed should not be compared to a real racing car, but to the video of a real racing car dashboard camera that has not been zoomed and compare the video image with the game image and see if there is a difference in the feeling of speed
    I have once driven a racing kart car and it cannot be compared to the feel of a game kart car because in a real kart car senses other than just the sense of sight affect the feeling of speed

Michael Woller likes this.
  20. Michael Woller

I have driven many different racing categories by myself (Formula Junior, Formula BMW, Formula Renault, Formula 3, GT4) and Im seeking for a realistic sense of speed in a simulator. Im just saying the faster cars in rfactor (F1, Prototype) are feeling good in terms of speed. But everytime I drive the GT3... the 200 kph feels like standing :( ... But well its still a game/simulator... and will never be a 1 to 1 replace for a real race car. :)