Brake lifetime model

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Enric Miro Barba, Jan 16, 2024.

1. Enric Miro Barba

Enric Miro Barba Registered

Hi! We had a failure on our brakes on last 24h daytona with a merc gt3. Other teams reported the same,
    People said that we need to swap drivers to fix it (repairing didn’t solve the problem).
    How does brake lifetime model works? Everytine we swap drivers , we had a new brakes? There are any way to learn how do they wear? As they are failing, would be nice to know how to manage them.
    Thanxs

mantasisg likes this.
  2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I would like to know about these things too. I thought that brakes wear wasn't implemented. There are params for discs wear, but I thought it doesn't function, nice if it can work. Also would be nice if there would be pads wear.

Perhaps there is something unintentionally enabled, if there is no way to get them replaced in pits.

Interesting to know about them being reset during driver swap.

I have a question now, so it also could mean that engine gets a reset too ? Since there is functioning engine wear by temps and revs. Just lacks a bit of values like setting an instant engine death temps/revs or/and where it would get accelerated many times more... anyway thats another topic.

I hope some known rF2 expert shares his knowledge here about brakes.

Enric Miro Barba and pkelly like this.
  3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The simple answer is to increase brake cooling. Open the ducts more(after qualifying) Damage states 'should' remain after a driver change, but there have been times in the past when this was not so.
    A couple of ways to test. Come in for a driver swap but do not change the tires. note the wear before and after the driver change. Same scenario but with obvious damage...is the damage the same after the swap when the option was chosen not to fix the damage?

Enric Miro Barba likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

We used to test brake wear with offline accelerated-time race sessions, with time-scaled failures on.

Race sessions have less variance than practice.

I recommend setting time scale to the max and hammering the brakes to ensure you get brake failure with your settings (nothing worse than driving around testing and then finding out you have the failure settings wrong), then set it to a reasonable amount for testing with normal driving. Though for a 24h race that might be 60x anyway, if you want your test to only be half an hour. In a team you might find one driver tends to use more brake, so get them to test in future.

I don't know how driver swaps impact wear. This is a simple wear percentage so seems like it could be maintained across drivers without issue, but I wouldn't bet anything on how rF2 works or what bugs there might be.

I can't remember if devmode has a live disc reading for cars you can get into there (not DLC, basically).

5. svictor

svictor Registered

Our endurance league race from last year had also encountered brake failure reports from multiple teams.

Our first race from last year was 4 hour Daytona with SGT500 06-07 in the end of January. We had 10 teams running with 2-3 drivers swap. And by the time into 2.5 to 3 hour, we had 2 top running teams encountered unrepairable brake failure (brake temperature drop to 0 with no braking effects on one of the wheels), and that happened after multiple driver swaps that were done already (my team also encountered brake failure just 10 mins before race ended).

Several teams attempted to pit and repair, or changed drivers, and even tried to log out and log in again(as we allowed re-join in server setting, but only with same physical vehicle condition), and none of those can restore or repair brakes.

One thing I know is that if server allows re-join and also enabled rejoin "with fresh vehicle", then doing driver swap will restore whole vehicle condition to new.

The last year Q1 update notes did mention that a new "brake repair" feature was added (that was after our first race):
    Though don't know whether this feature is currently implemented in any official cars.

Emery, Enric Miro Barba and mantasisg like this.
  6. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

The brake repair indeed hasn't been added to any official cars, which baffles me. In 24 hour races they always change brakes at some point. I think in wec it's even a requirement.

7. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

How brake wear is calculated can be seen in the public physics sheet, and I believe you can transfer that to MoTeC. I started the process of doing so, but I haven't been working on that for a while now. IIRC it's not that advanced.

There is also a realtime value of brake disc thickness in dev mode, so it's certainly a function and has been for several years. rF1 already had this.

Whether you got new brakes or engine in a driver swap I don't know if it ever existed. For sure not the engine as I've seen plenty of broken engines in endurance. Brakes are generally not breaking since it's so difficult to get the temps wrong, and the wear and failure parameters are likely set to be pretty forgiving.

8. Enric Miro Barba

Enric Miro Barba Registered

Thanks everyone for the info and advices, we are going to test as you said, ty