Eyes Watering Double Vision

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SteveMack, Jan 3, 2024.

1. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

Hi, I can't be the only one having this problem.
    Seems to be more with online racing but about 10 or fifteen minutes into a race I start tearing up and can't see, not only eyes watering but double vision with it, I wear prescription glasses and can't race without them, I tried.
    I have heard of the arms length away from the monitor thing and I am around that.
    I searched and seen some stuff on it, but no real answers I could find.
    It is impacting my racing because I am loosing time because I can't see and I am getting passed and lapped because of it.
    Any thoughts on preventing this. I am to the point where I actually fear it coming on , and hoping the race ends before it starts but the race never ends first.
    Thanks for any help.
    Steve

2. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

I get this happening but not quite so bad as to not be able to see. I find using some artificial tears before racing helps me. I also have to use prescription glasses but I use an older pair that suit the distance better than my newer ones.

3. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

I did see that somebody was using reading glasses. I am going to go get some and try it.

4. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

I'm using an old (16yrs) set of reading glasses as my normal reading and distance glasses are not right. I have spoken with my optometrist and next visit they are going to make a pair specifically for the distance I need.

5. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

I'm actually having trouble reading the newspaper with my glasses on or off.
    I'm going to give the reading glasses a shot first and if not, I'll have to go for a test.

6. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Try taking some Hayfever tables. Might help, no idea.

7. Comante

Comante Registered

If you wear prescriptions you need the right lenses for the right job. Not all lenses are equal, and it really much depend on your specific condition. Reading glasses are probably too generic and too short focus for monitor use. I guess you need a pair of computer glasses.. be ready to pay them like a decent GPU.

8. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

Yep, the reading glasses were a dud.
    My brightness on my display settings and monitor setting was cranked up all the way,
    I am lowering that to maybe get some help till I figure out what do, I really need a bigger monitor also.
    I only have 21x12 screen viewing area.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

Check that you don't have any airflow directed towards where you sit or your eyes will dry up quicker. Maybe adjust the monitor brightness, although that probably won't help (edit: see you did it already).

10. Bernat

Bernat Registered

When racing you might be blinking less and your eyes dry up faster. I would try the advice given about using artificial tears, avoiding air flow, adjusting monitor brightness, and also adjusting the ambient lighting. Try not to forget blinking when you're focused on the race. Drink water before and maybe even during long races. You might also want to see a doctor to check your eyes.

Rui Santos and SteveMack like this.
  11. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

I got a fan blowing on me all the time, I have to try shutting it off:eek:

12. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

The brightness seems to have helped but I still had the fan blowing on me. I was just able to run a race with a lot less of a problem, next I'm going to shut the fan off.

13. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

The small monitor size definitely won't be helping and neither will the fan. My current reading glasses were hopeless for the computer but as I said I was lucky and had a really old pair in good nick that were almost perfect so just adjusted my monitors a little until they were near perfect. I don't do races longer than 30min these days either.

14. svictor

svictor Registered

From my experience, monitor "response time" can also contribute to eyes "blurring" or "double vision" issues due to constant image ghosting that makes them hard to keep tracking by eyes.

Long ago I had a 5ms "response time" monitor, which only took about 2-5mins to cause "double vision" to my eyes. And later on I switched to a 1ms "response time" monitor, which would take a few hours of constant playing before eyes starting "double vision" again. Although most modern gaming monitors are at least 1ms response time, it maybe worthwhile to check whether the monitor has fast enough response time.

15. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Probably this is your problem, fans blowing directly to your face can dry out your mouth, nose, throat and most probably, your eyes. The double vision probably is related to the dry eyes, but if i was you i would go to an ophthalmologist just to discard any other potential problems...

Just like some people sugested, check your refresh rate and your monitor contrast and BRIGHTNESS!

16. stonec

stonec Registered

I don't think a larger monitor size will help. On the contrary, the larger the monitor, the more your field of view is covered by things that move, which will probably cause more eye strain. Monitor response times also haven't been very relevant anymore in the last ten years and often the number printed on the label is more marketing. Monitor refresh rate is the more important metric at least below 144 Hz.

17. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

I went and got a 32 inch samsung odyssey g5, I left the resolution the same as I had on my 24 inch samsung syncmaster sa300, 1920 x 1080 and it is much bigger with the 32 and I ran a race and didn't seem to have a problem, I still also cut the brightness down beforehand and had my fan off, I am going to race today and see how it goes.

Rui Santos and pkelly like this.
  18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You changed 3 things at once to solve the problem? Mate, you should be in one of the pseudo-physics discussion threads :p

I'm joking of course, I hope you continue to have no issues :cool:

SteveMack likes this.