DD Base violently out of control

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Purplereign, Dec 29, 2023.

1. Purplereign

Purplereign Registered

Hi guys I'm pretty new to Rfactor 2 .I really enjoy the driving but there's quite a few problems I have encountered with crashing , not being able to swap from car to car without it crashing or it just not loading up.
    3 times now my Asetek Wheelbase and Wheel had been triggered to be violently out of control when something went wrong to the point it could have injured me (it didn't) but my god the force is so strong . The last one just a miniute ago the server was shutting down becuase it was end of session. I was still on the track , it crashed the game and this happened with my wheel.

I must say it makes me apprehensive to play for my own saftey and for my wheel base which ain't cheap as I'm sure you're aware off. I thought it was going to break it . I also play iracing Ac AM2 and this has never happened in any other sim.
    Is this something you know about ? That a wheels base can go full lock left to right at full force when the game crashes ?

Any fixes so this can never happen again ?

Purple

avenger82 likes this.
  2. Oldgamergazza

Oldgamergazza Registered

I had this happen yesterday, leaving the pits in the online server.
    I restarted the game and it did not happen again.
    Asetek Forte wheelbase.

3. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

There’s a long thread about wheel going crazy during race restarts in single player. I just had it happen again when my wheel spun like 180 degrees with what it seemed like full force (25Nm for SC2 pro). It’s not that dangerous to the wheel but definitely it is for our hands.

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

There is a fix for this in testing, not sure if it was released(I guess not).

delapecs and avenger82 like this.
  5. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Of course, any game-side ffb bad behavior should be addressed however, SimuCube2 offers multiple ways to help users avoid injury.

Regardless of game-ffb reliability, there are various other PC-related hardware / software events that can cause dangerous abrupt wheel movements without warning (Game crashes, USB disconnects, audio or GPU interrupt events, etc., etc.). Where safety is a concern, we already have the tools at our disposal if we just follow some basic guidelines.

• Reduce Servo Power Output to a safer level. I've heard and tested the various arguments against that simple approach but, unless you are truly utilizing the maximum power and speed available, any miniscule perceived gain in detail is not worth the risk, imo. Avoiding or minimizing ffb-clipping can still be achieved with well-balanced power / strength / gain settings at safe levels.
    • Use Slew Rate Limit to limit abrupt movements. Useful to control harsh wheel movements caused by raised curbs, impacts, going off-track, etc. Experiment with different levels to get a sense of how it works until you find the right range for you.
    • Use Friction and Damping to provide natural weight to the steering, making the overall wheel behavior more realistic while also providing improved control of Self-Aligning Torque effects. Rotational response speed of the wheel impacts our ability to sense and respond to grip-loss events / weight transfer / etc., and Damping has major impact here. The idea that any amount of Damping removes ffb-detail is simply not true, and applying the right amount of it can smoothen grainy details and allows for less filtering while maintaining more effective wheel velocity. So, it's certainly possible to find the perfect balance in power / detail / smoothness / speed / overall control and provide a safe experience.

6. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Thanks for letting us know. That’d be great to have it FINALLY resolved. It’s surely not resolved on main branch as I had it happen today.
    In the long thread about this issue, there were multiple ideas how to fix it. From my point of view you could just limit the auto centering force(and in other similar scenarios where a player is not actually racing) to 1Nm or so. but I guess it’s more complicated, otherwise it would be ameliorated long time ago.
    BTW: I was considering taking advantage of Steam sales and buying some more DLCs, but having this issue happen to me again and with no feedback from devs I decided to postpone it until this issue is resolved.

7. Purplereign

Purplereign Registered

Thanks for the heads up on this issue .

8. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

What basic guidelines? The BS 3 points below? Slew rate won’t help as you would have to reduce it to ridiculous low values. Damping increase hint is even worse for this issue.
    The only point that would actually help is reducing overall force in True Drive(Simucube software to 10Nm or so.
    But I don’t want that. I’d rather not play rf2 at all. Fortunately there are other sims which don’t have such issues. I only had it in Raceroom: similar issue (a bit less dangerous) but they fixed it a year ago or so.
    Sorry, but your post is not helpful. It’s like buying a track day to be able to experience racing on a limit, just to find out that the track has little run off areas etc. and your car behaves unstable and dangerous at high speeds.
    Then someone tells that you should follow basic rules: don’t drive at high speeds etc.

Lazza likes this.
  9. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Okay, good luck.

10. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Thanks, I will need it with rf2!
    Sorry for being a bit harsh, but it is serious issue and I’m sick of posts suggesting ineffective or impractical workarounds on user side, or even defending rf2 (not you, but others in the long thread about this issue).

The_Bad_Fasterd likes this.
  11. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

I havent touched single player since the new online system and I cant remember this happening online fortunately. But I used to get this in single player a lot and 100% agree.

DD Wheelbases are really really dangerous when they move by themselves. Nearly broke my wrist once or twice.
    As much as I love rf2 this is absolutely unacceptable.

Purplereign and avenger82 like this.
  12. Purplereign

Purplereign Registered

I would agree with this. As much as I love rf2 this is absolutely unacceptable and I have pretty much stopped playing until it's fixed . I just go back to iracing .