Dev Mode session not launching (gMotor2 error)

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by danort17, Dec 15, 2023.

Tags:
  1. danort17

danort17 Registered

Hi folks!
    I was trying to load the Dev Mode and the game itself loaded. Whenever I tried to start a session, I get various gMotor2 errors that crash the game, depending on the content.
    What I did:

Copied the content I wanted (Tatuus F3-318, Tatuus FT-60 and Ligier JSP320) into the ModDev Vehicles and the tracks (Road Atlanta and Nürburgring) into the ModDev Locations folder, as stated in their post: https://docs.studio-397.com/developers-guide/development-tools/developer-mode

When I launch Road Atlanta with the Skip Barber (default in Dev Mode), it crashes when the loading bar hits 100%. When I launch Nürburgring with a Tatuus, it crashes immediately, before the loading bar even starts. See the error messages attached.

The graphics configuration is set from Auto to my Graphics card and the drivers are up to date. Find the graphics setting attached as well.

To go through the trouble shooter:

• Step 1 - Uninstall and reinstall rFactor 2.
    • Step 2 - Verify Steam files.
    • Step 3 - Opt out of Beta.
    • Step 4 - Delete contents of CBASH and SHADERS folder.
    • Step 5 - Delete contents of player and controller json files.
    • Step 6 - Swap controller USB ports.
    • Step 6 - Enact satanic ritual (human sacrifice optional).
    • Step 7 - Set fire to PC and accept the upsetting reality that you're now forced to play Project Cars on XBox for eternity.
    1) Did that, didn't work.
    2) Did that, didn't work.
    3) Never been in beta.
    4) Did that, game loaded without some graphics, did 2) again and back where we started
    5) Did that, didn't work.
    6) No controller was connected.
    7) Hell never ever.

So... I have no idea what to do now... Anyone can help?

Attached Files:

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The graphics config shown is saving to your normal Userdata folder. You should copy the config file to your moddev folders or run the config correctly for devmode (Or check the dropdown; not sure if it's available there). Though if devmode is running it's probably not a major concern anyway.

Load up a default track and car in devmode (skip at loch Drummond, probably) without any other content installed. When that works anything you add that breaks it will need investigating. One at a time is best.

The list of warnings is "normal" and won't affect operation. Pressing Cancel will dismiss them.

The error may be related to difficulties loading certain tracks in devmode that may require editing the SCN file to remove problem objects. I'd usually just choose a track that has no issues unless you really need one in particular.

Loading encrypted cars in devmode can be tricky. I know redapg has helped people with specific cars previously, he may have info or be willing to help.

However, I do wonder if what you're trying to do (presumably some analysis or modification based on AI driving the car with player physics, perhaps for repeatability) might be more easily achieved some other way, or the results you get may not be as relevant as you'd hope. I would avoid using AI driving to tune setups or a car mod, for example. Some basic setup parameters like wings you could maybe do, but standard game AI and forced setups would suffice.

3. danort17

danort17 Registered

I was running the Skip on Loch Drummond now, and while the warning occured, it was skippable as you said. Was able to force the player physics to the AI and the tyre temps actually recorded. However, the complete driver input channels (Steering, Braking, Throttle) were not recording anymore, although they did with the normal AI outside the Dev Mode.

I tried to load the Tatuus F318 on Loch Drummond next, I got three windows of warnings, all where skippable. However, the game crashed immediately after.

The try after was to load the Skip at Nürburgring and it crashed immediately when loading, freezing the game and needed to kill it via task manager.

The ModDev config was in the dropdown, although I had to select it again everytime I started the game, as it always reverted to the normal userdata config.

The purpose of all of this is the following: I'm writing my Bachelors thesis on databased setup work. What can you see from data to improve your setup in this or that direction. As we don't have the possibility to test with the real car in winter, I decided to do it sim based. Looked at different options, and AC and rF2 were the only options left. Preferable, rF2 is the sim to go due to superior physics and the possibility, to have the actual car setup options, while AC does it more relative to the actual values. I chose to do it with AI to have the most consistent laptimes close to a limit. I'd do it myself, but my driving is too bad to get reliable data :D Already asked my driver if he wanted to help out, but his system won't run rF2.
    At this point the time schedule is quite tight, so spending two more weeks troubleshooting with rF2 will just cost too much time, so I might just revert to AC. Will try to contact redapg tho, mayme we get a solution paralell to all this.

Thanks for your help as well!

4. redapg

redapg Registered

I always try to help, if i'm able to do it. :)
    But there currently is no Way to get a DLC Car working in the DevMode (due to the Physics Files that we can not extracted, i guess, what seems to be necessary in DevMode).
    We can only load them into the Showroom.

@danort17 DLC Tracks can be put into the DevMode.
    Watch THIS Video.
    And if you get stuck, contact me here.

5. danort17

danort17 Registered

Ahh bonkers. Tbh I'm totally new to rF2, been sticking with AC for the last 10 years, so excuse some stupid questions :D
    What exactly counts as DLC cars? Paid original cars like the Ligier? Free official stuff like the Tatuus? Mods? Or all of them? Cause I gpt none of them working, except the Skip that was already in the DevMode. Also, whats the reason to handle it like that? It shouldn't be too difficult for them as Devs to just make the DevMode the same base as the main game? Why does it need to be so complicated, while on the Dev Mode website they just describe it as simple as drag and drop :D
    Sorry for the stupid questions again, at this point I just really want to understand whats going on here :D

So, to put it short. My need, to get the Tatuus driven by the AI with player physics is something that is not possible at this point right?

6. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Most if not all cars are encrypted, maybe some old ISI ones aren't.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@danort17 nearly all cars produced by the game devs (ISI/S397) are encrypted, and that's the issue (as Coutie referred to).

Nearly all third-party cars are not encrypted, so you can get them into devmode (exceptions are paid mods for obvious reasons, though anyone can request their mod be encrypted if they wish).

Devmode is meant for content development, so putting finished game content back in there isn't catered for. Of course with modifications the devs could get it working, but it would be time spent on something with little benefit overall. Maybe it would help with tuning track AI lines with a specific encrypted car, but the guys reworking AI lines do a great job regardless.

I'm not familiar with how AC works, but if it gives you useable data with setup changes and AI I'd definitely stick with it. Even rF1 has AI running slower physics than the player, so correlation between normal physics and decent AI driving is more important (I think) than the latest and greatest physics engine. All these sims have at least partial physical models and the rest is made to behave "correctly", so it should be ok.

If you can have a real person (or 10 :p) generating your data in AC or rF1, you should be able to identify the trends you're looking for. Removing the AI driving element would be a good idea IMO.

8. redapg

redapg Registered

Yes, right.
    To be honest, i don't care much for the AI.
    I don't know what you want to achieve, but can't it be done in the single Player Mode?

9. danort17

danort17 Registered

It could be done in Singleplayer mode. To put it shortly, I wanted to get AI driven laps to get laptimes as constant and quick as possible, and then do setup changes based on data. AI driving in the main game uses different tire physics tho, so that data like tire temps won't be recorded properly. Thats why I changed to Dev Mode, as you can force the AI to use players physics and therefore proper data.

10. danort17

danort17 Registered

Thanks for the info and all the help mate!
    Right now it seems like my driver is happy to help out as a test driver, so now it's up to him getting rF2 running, Plan B will be AC, but also with him as a real driver. Will be also a nice possibility to get a benchmark on how close the AI does stuff :D