SOLVED - Yet another Dedicated Server Problem but with a twist

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Joel.Brown, Sep 14, 2023.

1. Joel.Brown

Joel.Brown Registered

Try using this tool and see if this helps you find the problem. It helped me a bunch when trying to make sure all the ports were setup correctly and actually working.

https://udp-test-tool.informer.com/

neo862 likes this.
  2. neo862

neo862 Registered

Yes thanks, i already tested and it seems to be ok.
    I Think the issue could be caused by the type of the VNIC. I will try to change this. I will keep you updated.

3. Joel.Brown

Joel.Brown Registered

Now I'm having a problem where the Dedicated Server comes up just fine and says Matcher Status: Connected To Steam but it doesn't show up in the list. I even tried putting the server in a DMZ and still can't see it. People can connect to it using +connect <ip>.

This one has me baffled.
    I have it set to Steam Matchmaking Broadcast: true
    It says it's connected to Steam but isn't showing up.

4. neo862

neo862 Registered

If it can help you, i had this issue when i did a cross test. I installed the Rf2 Dedicated + Steamcmd on an old W10 Physical machine i have. I forgot to port forward 64297, 64298 and 64299 to this machine.
    The Matcher status of the Rf2 server indicated "connected to steam" but the server wasn't appear in the game.
    I assume that this is really necessary that the 3 ports must be forwarded to the server.

From my side, we identified that the root cause of the matcher status "not connected to steam" was the virtual infrastructure. But we don't know exactly what. The investigation are always ongoing.

5. Joel.Brown

Joel.Brown Registered

Thanks for the reply but not only did I forward all the correct ports, I even opened up the server for all ports just to be sure. That's why I'm baffled.

6. Joel.Brown

Joel.Brown Registered

SOLVED - yet again.

Don't ever, ever change the WebUI port number on the server as it states in the documentation at https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/setting-up-a-dedicated-server. Doing that stops the server from displaying its name on Steam MatchMaker and actually caused me to have +connect act randomly too. Well, it worked one day fine, and the next day it didn't at all. Once I changed WebUI Port back to the default of 5397 it worked perfectly.

If you want to have a Dedi server on the same computer as you race on, you must start the rFactor client first, then start the Dedi server. I haven't found anything else that works and I'm tired of trying.

And just to re-cap for anyone in the future searching for solved problems. The other problem I had was SteamCMD didn't install the steam_appid.txt file in the root for the Dedi folder. This file must contain: 365960

With that, I finally have everything working great.

Big thanks to redapg. His server list tool really sped up the process of checking servers. Great tool: https://simracepackages.lima-city.de/rF2server/

7. redapg

redapg Registered

@Joel.Brown Thank you for the kind Words.
    Unfortunately i have a Problem with the Servers that have a Password, on my Server List.
    The Link that i use, that includes the Password and that worked the last Months, doesn't work anymore.
    And it's not the first Time that it happens.