New Car Content is to GPU demanding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe Cole, Nov 14, 2023.

1. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Registered

New cars are way to taxing on your gpu. I get 90-120fps with the older cars but 30-45fps with these newer ones, on the same new track. The BTCC cars don't look that much better than the stock car 2018x for example, but the frame drops are enormous. Assetto Corsa i get 120fps with custom shader patch installed. In ACC i get 80fps maxed out settings. Automobilista i get 150-200fps.

This is with about 16 cars on track.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Have you checked your RAM and CPU usage? I haven't done back to back tests but that sort of FPS drop sounds too high for different cars.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Whenever discussing performance issues, (!) it is always helpful to include a list of your system hardware as a good starting point.
    (and for those who have their system specs in their signature, I doubt many of us will go find that.) ((help us help you))

4. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Your signature and info page doe's not match, perhaps you forgot to update your signature. I agree people ought to put their system in their signature, it's certainly helpful to access their problem.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It is, until someone references their signature specs when asking about an issue, then you come and find the post/thread later and their system has changed :p

6. Highlandwalker

I personally run my own skins at 6k instead of the normal 4k or 2k (skin dds file) and don't really notice any drop in FPS. I think the biggest factor in performance is the track and how many cars you run. If you run too many cars it uses a lot of VRAM and you may be running out of VRAM. Another factor is what programs you my be running in the background, may be using a lot of system memory, always keep to a minimum. There are lot of programs in the start up that are not really needed, disable any that are not required, worth checking.
    P.S. 6K skins are only really worth running at 4K or higher monitor resolution. Really need your system info.

7. Highlandwalker

Some people don't even bother to put their system on their info page.

8. stonec

stonec Registered

I think the K of the car skins will mainly consume more VRAM, so if you have a GPU with enough VRAM, larger textures isn't as big of a problem.

But yeah, I would agree VRAM and RAM usage first potential issue, which can be improved by just lowering textures a notch and closing background programs.

Secondly, PCIe bus limitations with rF2. With a PCIe3 motherboard and/or PCIe 8x GPU, it's possible to gain massive performance especially in minimum FPS by turning Resizable BAR on at least on AMD GPU's (thread).

Thirdly, once these factors are in order, CPU can actually become the bottleneck especially on the starting grid. If you have a CPU with a low single core performance, gains from upgrading can be larger than GPU.

Only if all of these fail to improve the performance you can conclude GPU performance itself is the issue. But you didn't provide your specs, so we are speculating here.

9. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Registered

i put my specs in my signature.
    the vram usage was 4.5gigs when I was using MSI afterburner.
    the cpu was only at around 30%.
    my gpu was at 99%.

10. Comante

Comante Registered

I don't know but I think there is a problem on your part: check in the bios if maybe after a BSOD or abrupt shutdown different settings have been loaded. My PC is very old (i7 4790K / GTX 1080) but I don't notice difference in performance and I play in VR. Recently, my Mobo that is very old too resetted the GPU bus from 3x to AUTO , and things got fairly worse.

11. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Even with high-end Mobo, leaving things set on default (Usually Auto) can lead to serious performance issues.
    Optimal settings in regard to SSD / Add-in cards / GPU can make a big difference. Down-grading support for specific hardware such as (DMI / PCIe GEN settings) can solve issues in some cases.

I spent the last year chasing system crashes and constant audio problems, trying multiple audio solutions, etc. In the end, a couple of simple changes in the BIOS solved everything although, the suggestion came from an unexpected source (not the Mobo tech support). Go figure.

12. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Registered

i think it's 4k textures that are tanking my rig. i think the older cars are 2k textures.

13. stonec

stonec Registered

Thanks, can now see your specs. Newer cars are not just higher textures, but also more complex models as a whole. Since you have VRAM usage 4-5 GB you should be fine with textures.

I have almost the same GPU as you, RX 6600 XT. You need to enable Resizable BAR if your motherboard supports it to potentially get massive performance gains (see this thread).

If you are at all comfortable with using BIOS, try to find that setting and turn it on. Unless you have a very recent motherboard, chances are you have that setting but that it's turned off.

14. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Registered

i'm checking into this, thanks. interesting.

15. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Registered

will this be available if you have a intel cpu?

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Depends upon your motherboard. I have an AMD card, with an Intel cpu. The Resizable BAR option was in the bios but enabling it did not seem to do much, if anything, for me. My Asus motherboard had 4.0 pcie bus so that may be why I didn't see any jump in performance...either that or the first title I looked at wasn't optimized for that.

17. stonec

stonec Registered

Yes. This is a general PCIe feature that both AMD and Intel motherboards and new CPU's like your i3-13100 support. Or at least all major motherboard brands do with a relatively recent BIOS version.

18. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Registered

this game has buggy graphics settings. i was getting about 55fps at long beach, after changing graphics from high to medium i was getting 12fps. so i exit sim then restarted and loaded the same track car combo and was getting 120fps.

19. Comante

Comante Registered

More chances that something was messed up in your installation .

20. vava74

vava74 Registered

rFactor 2 is super sensitive to Windows' getting in the way and steal resources with background updates, antivirus, background apps which from time to time wake up or need CPU time.
    With a i3-13100 you have a fairly low number of cores, so higher chances of Windows suddenly messing the cores/threads which rF2 needs.