A crazy idea for the online (plan)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adolfo Bisi, Oct 26, 2023.

1. Adolfo Bisi

Adolfo Bisi Registered

Just trowing the idea here.
    How about a subscription plan required to use the new online system that unlocks all DLC content while its active, to use exclusively on the racecontrol online.

We all know that money is essential to keep those AWS servers running. I would not count on game copys/DLC sales alone would make up for the cost in the long term. I also doubt that most people would pay just to keep the online system running.
    Imo would be a way to make players see an advantage of having a subscription plan. People would still need to buy the DLC cars for singleplayer, self hosted servers, leagues, etc...
    Better on the short term for players, to encourage testing the game with good content (lets be honest, vehicles and tracks in the beginner series are nowhere near as good as the DLC). Better on the long term for everybody, devs get a constant income flow, players get a good online experience.

2. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Sounds well as an option over buying DLC. If it ended up being the only way to get new DLC it would suck.

I disagree about the beginner series content not being as good as the DLC. Maybe it's not the most popular content but it's as good and I like the progression in cars and tracks as we improve our skills.

Rui Santos likes this.
  3. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I wish iRenting was like that :D but you have to buy everything!!

4. Comante

Comante Registered

I disagree on almost everything. For first of all, we are the users, not the managers. Then I don't see the purpose to have "ALL THE CONTENT" ,what I'm supposed to do with it? Are there really people that race every car and every track? I highly doubt so.
    And then? I can't train offline with a car I'm paying because is "online only" ?
    No thanks.

Rui Santos and Bernat like this.
  5. Adolfo Bisi

Adolfo Bisi Registered

What it seems to me is that most people keeps asking for a good online system, but are not willing to spend a cent to have it.

iRacing has the best ONLINE SERVICE, I just don't play it for the crap physics. I would gladly pay the same ammount, if not more, to have the same experience in rFactor2

Indeed, but that's not what I meant, I want to be able to buy and have the content to use whenever I want.

The possibility to unlock all the content would be mainly an attractive to bring players that are not willing to subscribe to a plan to "just" use the online. DLC should still be available for purchase for any other uses.

As I said, it was a crazy idea. But we have to keep in mind that this new online really pumped the player numbers. When would we imagine to have 10 full splits for any online race in rF2? But everything has a cost that someone has to pay. AWS is not cheap. I wonder how long will they keep this system working if it's not finantially worth.

6. Comante

Comante Registered

I understand your feelings, but I think people at Studio397 can do (and did) their homework. In the evening (cet) there are already often 200 players registered for a rookie race, so 10 splits give or take.
    They developed that system once, it didn't cut, they remade it, now it seems they found the way. If they keep track of what people like and what not and their offer is compelling, then people will buy content. New player will jump in, and the bills will be paid. For example I'm into RF2 since 2012, I don't own lot of content. Now I'm racing in the rookie league, when I will be granted silver or gold, I will look in what is offered there, and if I like it , I will buy all the content I need, gt3, btcc, endurance, whatever. Now I don't care to own them.
    So, with time, more and more people will do the same. I guess going on they will setup championships, and this will make people buy cars and all the tracks.

7. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

I dont' have an answer but it will be interesting to see what happens. The servers aren't free and S397 won't continue to dump money into them for too much time that is for sure.

8. Bernat

Bernat Registered

They should make badges for users who want to support the game with their wallet apart from buying the content. I understand you, we all want this to succeed.

Don't forget there's also the server rental service to provide more income.

9. Bernat

Bernat Registered

This will boost sales for sure.

And now rFactor 2 isn't only a game, it's the platform to create other games like LMU. This will help a lot in the release of the new game. I don't know what the exact plans are but in some way rFactor 2 online success might be used to boost LMU's success since release day.

10. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

The way we do the DLC system, I don't think this would be possible.

11. Binny

Binny Guest

For now it has, from what ppl are saying most are very happy with how the new race control is coming along.
    Also im sure s397 would have learnt a lot from iracing online service, they would be trying to match it at a min but would honestly be trying to make it better to attract more users.
    As for money ages ago they said they could afford the servers without charging, just hoping that has not changed under MSG, no announcement so must be all ok.
    The new race control keeps going down the path it is, I'm sure they will get DLC sales, server hires, new users. It only has to match iracing for that to happen, as at least with rf2 you will own all content not lease/hire it which would attract a lot of ppl.

12. AKR

AKR Registered

Maybe some people will be joyriding DLC content online, since they are not willing to spend money buying the car to be able to drive it offline.

r00b Driver likes this.