You can change to other CARS view during an online race!

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Bumpety Boo, Oct 25, 2023.

?

Should changing car view to your opponents cars be disabled in online races?

1. yes

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. yes

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Bumpety Boo

Bumpety Boo Registered

Plus+ and minus- buttons work during an online race (this incident was on the new racing system).
    So you can only use your own cockpit camera, but I just learned the hard way that for some reason you can change cameras to completely other cars.

This happened to me as I was trying to reduce the virtual nametag size, I thought minus was the right keybind for it. That cost me the race because I met with the wall really really fast. :(

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm not sure I've ever switched cars while driving, but disabling the keys would be heavy handed. The + and - keys do indeed switch cars, and the keypad Enter returns you to your own. Pressing any of these (or any of the other view/camera keys, or Esc) while driving is a very bad idea. Online races aren't the time to be exploring controls.

PedroJ likes this.
  3. redapg

redapg Registered

No Option to vote "no"? :D

Emery likes this.
  4. Bumpety Boo

Bumpety Boo Registered

The other camera view buttons are acually disabled in online races

haha It's not really a poll. as far as I'm concerned, changing to your opponents car while you're driving in an online race should 100% be disabled. I don't think any serious sim can allow that...

5. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

First thing I always do is change the buttonmapping for any cameraview to something Im sure I wont touch, like the 1 button on my keyboard.
    Its become obsolete since Im only using buttons on my wheel and buttonbox tho, but I also think its a good thing to make things idiot proof.

So I voted yes.:cool:

davehenrie likes this.
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That depends on server settings, but they will be set that way for the online system for sure.

Jump on a server where the cockpit view isn't locked, and you could accidentally find yourself looking from an awkward onboard camera (possibly facing backwards) and frantically looking for the right key to get back to cockpit view. The moral is to avoid pressing keys when driving, but you can certainly argue against a need to switch cars when sitting in yours.

7. redapg

redapg Registered

I suppose that there are a lot of People, that do switch between Cars in online Races sometimes, especially when Pit Stops last longer or if they stay on a Server, after an Accident made their Car undrivable, just to see how other People drive.
    And not to forget Spectators.
    The easiest Way to avoid any Problems with that is, like @Lazza has said already, be familiar with your Key Bindings BEFORE you join an Online Race and simply don't use the Buttons, to switch between Cars.

Emery likes this.
  8. Bumpety Boo

Bumpety Boo Registered

I'm not sure why the proper way to describe a bug report directly to studio397 goes through an online forum. alright. well at least it's not the first time I reported something, everyone disagreed, but a dev picked up on the issue and solved it. So I'll stay hopeful.

9. Bernat

Bernat Registered

The bug for you might be a feature for someone else. I don't see how using a feature incorrectly is a bug. I haven't read any argument against that feature in this thread.

You can use a different control profile for online races with those keys disabled. You could ask for automatic profile selections for offline/online modes.

The_Bad_Fasterd and Emery like this.
  10. redapg

redapg Registered

For me, the Point is, that it is no Bug.
    It is a Feature that is working as it should.
    To automatically deactivate it in Online Racing, would only restrict all the People that like to use it there too.
    Nothing against to add an Option to deactivate it.

Emery and The_Bad_Fasterd like this.
  11. Ryan Bennett

Ryan Bennett Registered

I think I've just had this happen to me at the start of an online race in the 2-minute countdown, I changed view and it switched to the car in front of me, I couldn't switch back and couldn't view my start. I had to press ESC and DNF for that daily Radical race. Unfortunately 3 people behind me went straight in to me and each other and I couldn't do anything. Is this a bug?

All I did was press the switch view button, which is supposed to go through all the views for my own car, instead it switched to the car in front and all I could do was switch between the views of the car in front.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
  12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Did you try pressing the ENTER key? That is 'supposed' to bring you back to your car.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What's 'switch view' ?

There are Driving Cameras controls, and on the next (Controls) page there are Cinematic Camera controls. Only the cinematic should change to a different car, so if you didn't press one of those either you potentially have 2 things assigned to the same key/button or there's a bug.

Can you try to check and be specific on what you did press?